Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

What does a show need to be successful?

:icontsukuart:
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Filmographer
What are some note-worthy shows that you like or love and what makes them so great? If I made a show how could I get it to that level or make it even better then those shows?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlupina24:
Lupina24 Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I think the first thing you should examine is your target audience. Who are they? Gender, age range, genre, interests, etc.

Examine and develop the story, series from the feedback of your audience.
Plot, Is it logical? Do the events or developments makes sense or connect together during the episode/series
What is the goal or aim for the series to accomplish?

Characters: Focus on different aspects or characters in order to develop them throughout the series
Focus on character interactions with a small group or team. shows like CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds and even My Little Pony, Malcolm in the Middle, are good examples.
:iconmonstermaster13:
monstermaster13 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Recently i've been into Grimm, which I find to be really fascinating and their takes on fairy tales is really interesting - I like the modern spin they have on the classic stories. And the creatures themselves or "Wesen" as their called are very fascinating.
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student Filmographer
It's a not so classic retelling. It's better then most the only constraint is the continuity.
monstermaster13 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah...it's a modern take.
Overall I have no complaints
monstermaster13 Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Neither do I.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
it has to be stupid. like mind nummingly stupid. repedative and more then likely flash based.

that's why Young Justice is dying but Johny Test lives on...
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Filmographer
Johny test has a prozen formula. Young Justice is kinda sucky when it comes to story telling. The first season was great but now it broken up and the only reason I watch it is because i LOVE robin and superboy and the action and awesome look of it. The great stuff from the first season is pretty much gone as this point and if they dont get cancelled it might be better next season.

I'm guessing that is what your referring to. So I should make sure there is no story connecting each episode and to make obvious joke that are just painful to hear.
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah season 2 is being rather random... but they seamed to have finaly gotten to the good part with the Reach issues and such.
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
Season one they had to prove themselves. Season two diplomat problems. The best part of was when the war ship was going to destroy the planet. Wait that's not important what is important is that there are evil aliens and they are doing nothing to stop them. Ben ten alien force knew what to do, Stop the aliens!
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
though in Ben10 both Ben and the Aliens are largely hidden from the general public.
Yeah. The fact that it's hidden gives it a fantastical feel like it could really happen one day. Kids plus possibilities is good. Super heroes are cool. If they're over-powered that means it's boring. If they lose a lot that sucks. Mix it up and that's what you have now. The suspense is building really slowly. we all know a big battle is coming but we don't know if we want to wait because it's already getting kinda bland.
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A show needs ratings in order to be successful (obviously).
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Filmographer
How to get RATINGS?
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
People have to watch the show.
What do you do to get people to watch a show?
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Artist
It needs to be understood by the stupidest members of the human population who watch TV at at least some level, but contain lots of actually intelligent things for the rest of us. So in essence, you've got to balance people who love SyFy and Honey Boo Boo with people who watch Battlestar Galactica, Tron Uprising, Gravity Falls, and Firefly. So far, only things like Sherlock and Doctor Who seem to have mastered this.
I'm sorry but no. A show isn't good because of a type of person but the fan base. Sure you're on the right track and I get the idea behind it but the way you said it is unappealing.

"Honey Boo Boo" and I hate that I know this is a reality/ squirm show. That attracts a lot of people like people who like reality tv, people who have nothing better to do, people who can't believe stuff like that goes on, and overall most people would watch it for different reasons. Battle star galactica however has a specific fan base, people who like the show and shows like it. See the difference.

Some shows hit a general area while others hit specifics. One of the shows you mentioned is Gravity Falls, it is a show that does both. It's random and has stuff most people would like but also aims for people who like to be entertained in a specific way. Doctor Who does the same thing in a different way. There are people who like doctor who and shows like it but doctor who has very good story telling. You don't need to know which is the fifth doctor cause you will still enjoy the single story.
:iconsesshomaru431:
Sesshomaru431 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
In my opinion, sarcastic humor.
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Filmographer
Explain please
Sesshomaru431 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
How do I explain that?
Idk tell a sarcastic joke
Sesshomaru431 Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013
Out. *leaves*
Um okay.
:iconserene-gemini:
serene-gemini Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I'm not going to mention the obvious necessities that everyone else already has.

In terms of an arc driven show, what's needed most is an end game. So many shows that I've watched and loved started out great, but the show-runners had no idea how they planned to end it, and just wrote blind in the beginning. Take into consideration shows like Lost and Battlestar Galactica. Two shows I loved and watch religiously, but neither had the end game figured out that tied up all the loose plot threads. Its not really something you notice unless in retrospect or on a second viewing. Despite that, they were both massive successes. However, the one thing I do respect about both shows is that they ended before they wrote themselves into the ground or were canceled by the networks.

Personally, I'm not a fan of episodic television because it honestly bores me. If the show resets at the end of every episode, negating any character development or plot progression, I find it difficult to become emotionally invested. Its the reason sitcoms thrive. People can tune in every other week and not miss a thing. For some people it works and those shows are huge successes, but as previously mentioned, they bore me.

The cool thing about most anime is that they are based on mangas and follow them in some cases shot for shot. The only irritating thing is that many animes are produces while the mangas are still in progress resulting in open endings or complete deviations.

Producing television is difficult because not only are you writing for an audience, you're writing for a network which has to please it advertisers and its shareholders and the FCC (if you're in U.S.). Its all hard work, which is why rather than producing, I'll stick to watching television on the internet, its a wonder of this modern age.

Tsukubane. I do have one request. If you are an aspiring show-runner or television writer or whatever and your pilot makes it past sweeps and gets on the air, and has its time, but is canceled, please for the love of all that is good and shiny in this world, publish your show's bible. For all that I love about arc driven shows, the one thing I hate is never getting the answers. I know the networks like to think they own every scrap of paper relevant to any show they produce, but an anonymous web posting detailing the resolution to a cliffhanger that was never resolved world really make the world a better place.
I Start with an end in mind so that wouldn't be a problem for me. Most shows however think in terms of the first season. They have vision and direction which is good. They know what they're doing but they sometimes don't want it to end or bypass the end because they're forced by the network to keep going.
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
I like metaplot, but I don't like it when the show becomes a slave to the metaplot.

X-Files had a very good balance in this regard. Every third episode or so dealt with the alien-government conspiracy, while the other two dealt with nonrelated cases. Supernatural also did this very well for a number of seasons until they got stuck in the "end of the world" quicksand and the writing became chained to it. The original Law & Order achieved fantastic success by limiting metaplot. There was character development and ongoing story, but the show never lost its core path: cops investigating murder; district attorneys prosecuting the offenders. Period.

SVU, by contrast, went downhill when the show became about the mounting psychodrama between Olivia and Elliott and less about catching rapists.

Heroes started strong and got so wound around the axle of metaplot that it collapsed under a morass of exhausting plot twists and revelations every damned episode and ceased to be interesting.

Only my opinions, but while continuity and progression are good and valuable, they shouldn't become the altar on which the series is sacrificed.
:iconrocketslugrockscp:
rocketslugrockscp Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Good writing, good cast, diverse characters, and a good storyline and plot.
Your not really explaining anything. What is good writing, what makes a cast good, what would you call a good story-line and plot?
:iconshadee:
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Good writing and the right chemistry between the actors.
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Filmographer
Do you think that applies for all shows including dramas and animated?
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think so. Even in video games I personally find that there's a noticeable difference between voice actors who just show up separately to say their lines and ones which do their work together and seem to enjoy working on the project and with each other.
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Filmographer
How do they differ
shadee Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It just generates a certain chemistry and natural flow which, in my opinion, adds a lot to the quality of the show. A lot of shows have hit and miss moments yet those kinds of shows, where the actors just have that spark between them and work well together, seem to be dead on all the way through.
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Filmographer
I get what your saying. Actors that work well together make sure you know it through the whole show.
:iconzazill:
Zazill Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on whether you want a main stream following or a cult classic.
Tell me what each needs.
:iconmayplefly:
Mayplefly Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It needs a plot and believable actors.
I think I have those things covered. You should watch it when it's done.
:iconpleasantshadeofgray:
pleasantshadeofgray Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've seen shows that I thought were really great but still got canceled....such as "Dead Like Me". This show was so good I actually bought the dvds for both seasons. Basically the show is about a girl that got killed by a falling toilet seat that fell from space she then was turned into a grim reaper. But she still had to find a place to live and have a job and blend in with the living and figure out who's soul she had to take before the person died. The was damn funny. Original too. Having an original take on a show would make it stand out....great writing wouldn't hurt either.
I liked that show when it came out. I didn't get to see much of it. Originality draws them in but I always thought it needs something else or the show still won't be great. That show had "it" whatever "it" is.
:iconpandadrake:
Pandadrake Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It has to be boring, tepid, accessible and have a lot of cliches in it. Or at least that's what the ratings say.
Any examples
:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
a show needs to be unpredictable, suspenseful, good characters, uniqueness, and most of a darn good story.
True so true
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
yep
If you were to watch a show would you be able to tell right away how good it is?
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
hey i saw the group request but im working on two manga at the moment. but i wouldnt mind helping and yep i even give stupid shows at first glance a shot. within the first couple of minutes a person should catch the dialogue. if the dialogue sucks im bored.........and probably turn. But true fact human beings get the most information in the first 30 minutes of anything. (Especially in the first 10 minutes of a show) You can naturally continue listening afterwards but your mind begans to throw things out. So knowing this fact I believe people should catch there audience quick when making a show. Lol i remember a teacher telling me that when i was in high school ages ago. He was like i think its stupid that classes are 1 1/2 long. I already failed because im talking for an extra hour and yall dont even here me.
:iconmcgraczu:
mcgraczu Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Boobs.
Are you serious? I'm not being sarcastic I really wanna know?
Add a Comment: