Statistics

Replies: 19

Sword Art Online

:iconfish-with-feathers:
Fish-With-Feathers Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
This anime called "Sword Art Online"...

What is it about?

And why is it so bloody popular lately?

I've been considering watching, but would like to know what its about a bit before I do.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's about incest or something, I dunno.
:iconaricania:
Aricania Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
That would be misleading. There is a trace of one way incest but it's not really that big a part of the story. It's more like a side thing. (The main guy's cousin has a crush on him.) The main idea is there are video games nowadays where you can wear a helmet and 'literally' go into the game. People get trapped and so on.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Because that's a totally riveting and original plot, isn't it?
:iconaricania:
Aricania Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I never said that. Sure I like it but I never stated in my comment that it's suuuuch an original plot. I merely said that what you said was misleading and clarified what the actual plot is like.
:iconhypermetroid:
HyperMetroid Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Its about people who get trapped in a virual reality video game I loved it!
:iconducatrevel:
DucatRevel Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Writer
There are some great reviews of SAO on Myanimelist.net which will better express my stand on SAO.

My advice: don't watch it. No offense to the fans. There are just tons of better shows that need love.

To be glib, Sword Art Online is an anime that had potential and interesting premise, but fails to utilize them properly. It's plotting is weak. The character were bleak, hollow, and poorly characterized (A good battle character would be Guts from Berserk, not Kirito). The drama is sloppily set-up. And the the second half was abysmal.

This is a very popular series. I'm not saying all popular series are bad. There are some very popular series which deserve the love and popularity, but SAO is not one of them. It is the perfect example of a series which makes up for its lack of substance with the the strength of its fanbase. It's soundtrack is pretty good though.
:icondd-latte:
DD-Latte Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm also interested in watching it...

What is the most obvious flaw? The plot or characters?
:iconsomedaysakuhin:
SomedaySakuhin Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That question really is hard, I'd say it's the characters that ruin the plot. XD
It could have been better if the characters didn't make it any worse. Eg. there are useless, oversentimental moments of oh so big "love" (when the characters didn't spend so much time together before) and whatnot.
:icondd-latte:
DD-Latte Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, I'm already in ep 2 and already feel the big love coming between Kirito and Asuna xD
:iconsomedaysakuhin:
SomedaySakuhin Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
...Have fun with the lake of doom... DUN DUN DUN! X'D
Add a Comment: