Any recommendations on cult, weird, (ultra-scary) horror, B, disturbing, or pinky violence movies?

Hello fellow deviants.

I'm looking forward to watching good:
1. Cult-classics (doesn't matter if it's popular or not)
2. Weird and strange movies (artsy or not)
3. B-movies (especially hilarious and fun to watch--horror or not)
4. Disturbing extreme movies
5. Pinky violence movies
6. or ,well, just horror movies--but especially scary ones. (popular or not)

If your suggestion is anime / cartoon, it is also welcome.

Some movies I have watched (unfortunately, mostly Japanese extreme cinema):
Ichi the Killer, Mind Game, Human Centipede, Hostel, Machete, Grindhouse, Sex and Fury, Noroi: The Curse, Female Convict Scorpion, Sauna, Guinea Pig series, Paprika, Kill Bill, Gentlemen Broncos, Electric Dragon 80.000 V, Stalker, Kwaidan, The Shining, Lady Snowblood, Tetsuo the Iron Man, Clockwork Orange, Alucarda, Evil Dead, etc etc

Thanks in advance
Comments136
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Necromantic films were good.
'The ABC's Of Death' is a film that came out recently. Its 26 short films, one for each letter of the alphabet. It seems pretty cool, but apparently some of the stories are great, and some suck. I still want to see it though, it sounds interesting:D
Wikipedia link that explains each story:[link]
Maybe try Triangle? Slipped under the radar of a lot of people, starts out like your common-or-garden variety slasher flick, then starts mind-fucking you. Fantastic movie.
There's a French film called 'Switch blade romance'
Hobo With A Shotgun with Rutger Hauer (based on a fake theatrical trailer which you can see on YouTube)
If you want some old cult movies: Repo Man (the one with Emilio Estevez), They Live (I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum), The Little Shop Of Horrors, Dr. Phibes (so bad you'll laugh for days) and Phantom Of The Paradise, because of the songs and this guy: [link]

Then, if you want some French ones: Dobermann (slick and violent and cartoonish), La cité des enfants perdus (great nightmare sequences) and Magasin des Suicides (silly little animation in the style of The Addams Family).
Irreversible. Disturbing foreign film. Involves realistic rape and violence.

Plague Dogs. Bleak and depressing animation about how cruel we are to animals.

I watched Eraserhead and almost fell asleep.. guess I need to watch it again someday lol.
Brain Damage by Frank Henenlotter is a lot of fun, albeit most things by him pop up on lists for cult cinema. Frankenhooker and Basket Case are two other popular ones.

Same with Stuart Gordon and Re-Animator, From Beyond, Fortress, and even some of his newer stuff like Edmond and Stuck.

Society by Stuart Gordon's right hand man Brian Yuzna is also worth checking out. It's kind of like John Hughes meets HP Lovecraft.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Great disturbing little film with an excellent performance by Michael Rooker.

House on the Edge of the Park. From the director of Cannibal Holocaust with David Hess at his most intimidating.

Don't Torture a Duckling. Remarkable early giallo by Lucio Fulci. If you've seen no Fulci yet, add Zombi 2, The Beyond, and City of the Living Dead.

The general works of Michele Soavi tend to be weird/awesome. The most obvious one being Cemetery Man, but some of his other films like Stagefright: Aquarius and The Church are great stuff... at least in my opinion.

Goodbye Uncle Tom . The premise is that Mondo Cane directors Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi are transplanted back to the 1800's and endeavor to make an honest documentary on the American slave trade. The picture it paints is not exactly idyllic.

Blood of the Beasts by Georges Franju. If the "shockumentary" genre owes anyone or anything, It's Franju and this film. It's about the surreal inner workings of a late 40's slaughterhouse with cinematography that's both disturbing yet oddly beautiful.

Threads. Really eerie British TV movie documenting both factually and dramatically the effects a nuclear war would have on society.

To end off on a happy note though, for weird funny B-Movies: 2019: After the Fall of New York. If you like knockoff cinema this film is great. It simultaneously takes from The Warriors, Escape From New York, Mad Max, Planet of the Apes, with bits of Treasure Island, Star Wars and the legend of Parsifal. It steals so much it actually transcends time and somehow rips off Children of Men as well. :P
I would assume you've seen Jacob's Ladder and Eraserhead, they're sorta what sprang to mind
Slither I think is what its called.
Its about this girl's dad who get hit by a meteor that turns him into a zombie like creature that eats dogs at first and I'll leave the rest to you. c;

Dead Wood is another B-movie that I thought was decent, but it was overrated in some parts.
Its about this island full of trees that have been genetically modified to grow faster. One of the lumberjacks gets hit by one of the trees that falls and it oozes out this zombie juice as I call it.

Or Hellsing Ultimate maybe? I know its not a movie but its pretty bloody ;)
Severance
Rubber
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
2001 Maniacs
Hatchet
Zombie Strippers
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer
Some recommendations for you:

Man Bites Dog
If you liked Dead Snow, you may like Outpost
The Audition
The Naked Lunch
Jabberwocky
Bad Company
Heavy Metal
Young Frankenstein
How I Won The War
Southern Comfort
Session 9
Ok, I'm adding "Insidious" to the list. Really scary, imo.

Then a really funny and weird zombies movie: "Dead Snow".
Oh, and for some movies that are more, well, dare I say legit...

Unsure if it's been mentioned already, but one of the few movies that kicked my sorry ass, disturbed me like little else and left me feeling ashamed of belonging to the human race was Philosophy of a Knife. If you've seen Men Behind the Sun, then you already know what you're getting into: it's about Unit 731, Japan's covert biological warfare research group during WW2. They were fierce competition against Josef Mendele and his inhuman experiments.

Anyway, Philosophy... is about four hours long. Half of it (not the first half; it's interwoven) is a documentary about Unit 731, featuring an interview with a Russian doctor who was present at the post-war trials on the few of the 731 people they caught. The other half is this really well made recreation of some of the experiments. They're shot in a very expressionist style; black and white, high contrast, big shadows, odd angles. And it really messes with you. At least it did with me, and I pride myself on my experience and expertise on gore and splatter films. This one has my seal of approval.
I was in a similar predicament years ago. I ended up browsing lists of Category 3 Asian movies (rating wise, cat 3 is roughly the equivalent of the American x-rating) and finding some good stuff. The Untold Story, Chinese Torture Chamber Story (this one has one of the funniest sex scenes you'll ever see), Ancient Chinese Whorehouse, Bunman, There's a Secret in My Soup, Sex and Zen 2 (and I still haven't seen the first Sex and Zen...), Red to Kill... the possibilities are endless. Just find a list or two by googling  "cat 3 films", read up some synopsis and find something that sounds good. Or bad.

Or you can always go Troma. Their stuff is always fun and trashy. And violent.
-Air doll (this one is my favorite)
-Paprika
-Factory girl
-A Clockwork Orange
-angel's egg(Tenshi no tamago)
i dont see movies regulary, so these are the only ones that came to mind XD
I thought Sinister was a bit disturbing :O
Totally... I was gonna say "Sinister" and "Insidious".
Insidious was pretty creepy too D:
Since you mention pinky violence, I will recommend In the Realm of the Senses and Go, Go, Second Time Virgin.

If you like that sort of thing, you might like Jodorowsky's stuff as well.  Assuming you haven't seen it already; I don't see any of his films on your list.  Obviously Holy Mountain and El Topo, but Santa Sangre is excellent, and his first feature Fando & Lis is also worth seeing.

Barring that, have you ever heard of a movie called Singapore Sling?  It's a Greek/international film from the 1980s that's a bit difficult to find, but worth the effort.  Very disturbing and bizarre.

Easier to find, more recent Greek movie that is kinda weird is Dogtooth, about a family with adult children who've been raised isolated from the outside world.

Also, Der Todesking.  The director also did Nekromantik, which I haven't seen but it is in a similar vein.

Brothers Quay and Jan Svankmajer are also pretty weird.  As is Guy Maddin, but he is not to everyone's tastes.  And obviously John Waters or David Lynch.  That covers about anything I can think of offhand.