Looking for fantasy films like The Lord of The Rings & The Hobbit, any suggestions?

I've recently seen The Hobbit in theaters with my family and have begun to watch the original LOTR trilogy on DVD (All I have left to watch is "Return of The King") and I was wonder if there are any good fantasy films ASIDE FROM HARRY POTTER AND NARNIA out there that evoke a similar feeling or tone.

Live-Action AND Animated films are welcome as suggestions and also just wondering, Is "The Last Unicorn" worth the watch? :hmm:

Please leave suggestions below
Comments27
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Legend was a really great film.

About the last unicorn, i don't like it at all
Willow Dungeons & Dragons Beast Master The Dark Crystal Red sojna Krull These should keep you entertained for awhile.
Yeah, Labyrinth is near and dear to my heart, and I'll gladly recommend that until the day I die. :heart: I'll also throw out Wizards, even though it's really, really weird. Finally, there's the absolutely so bad it's incredible Dungeons and Dragons movie, just in case you need a laugh.
Yeah, I heard about the D&D movie from the Nostalgia Critic's review of it. GOD JEREMY IRONS IS AWESOME AS PROFION (I think that's how you spell it) BUT ISN'T HE ALWAYS? :D

Yeah, Wizards was made by Ralph Bahski, who made the 1978 animated adaptation of LOTR...I have wanted to see both films as I feel he is much like his commentary Don Bluth, both animators whose works, masterpieces in their own right, have sadly been forgotten by the public...
:lol: Glad you know of it in some form or another.

And definitely. While I do see why a lot of his animations are unknown or ignored by most, I feel that Wizards definitely deserved a better run than it did.
The Secret of Kells is sort of fantasy and sort of realistic, but very creative. And that damn song halfway through is still stuck in my head...
I second Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, , and would throw in The Secret of NIMH.
Okay, I'll take a look ^^
They're sort of tangential to your request, but the best I could do. They all have fantasy overtones, though, and each is very different from the others, so even if you watch them back-to-back, it shouldn't be boring...
The Dark Crystal, and Willow.
I REALLY WANT to see those two! Along with The Princess Bride & Labyrinth, they are the DEFINITIVE 1980's Fantasy Films
You've got the makings for a good film fest on this snowy weekend.

Assuming you live in the north east.
I live in Northern California so...no :lol:

But I have been watching the LOTR trilogy on DVD over my Christmas Break :D
If you don't mind animation, The Last Unicorn is one I think off the top of my head.
Alright, to be honest, that one looks REALLY GOOD :D
The Gaul (or sometimes called The Druids)! :lol:
Hmm...Eh, maybe...that movie got :star::star-half: on IMDB
That is one star more than I would have given it :lol:
So you're saying you think it SUCKS
There is no thinking about it...
It's COMPLETE MINDLESS JUNK then?
Should rent it :nod:
View all replies
Snow White and the Huntsman
I'll consider watching that one
Go watch Labyrinth, it's my favourite fantasy movie in the entire universe. And if you like that and don't mind more surreal fantasy, I highly recommend Mirror Mask. They do a lot with a small budget, it's a phenomenal film. Last Unicorn is always worth watching. I don't remember it that well, but I remember loving it.