Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Where to start with Doctor Who?

:iconcactusskate:
CactussKate Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So I've finally been convinced to try it out, but I can't seem to figure out what episode to start with?
Must I watch 60s television?
=O Just wondering where a good starting point is.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The new series was made specifically to be accessible to people who never saw the old series. Even when introducing elements from the classic series, they were explained. Plus, it's modernized to appeal to today's audiences. It will help you gain the appreciation for the concepts in the show, which you will need if you ever watch the old series.

Due to the classic series' low budget, sometimes you need to watch it with a grain of salt. That's not to say it isn't enjoyable--it really is--but some of it had not aged well.
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
You can start from the 2005 series all you want but you are going to be left bewildered when you get to Tennant's era as from then on they mention a lot from the Classic series.

I highly recommend you start with the Classic era as so you know what they are talking about in some of Tennant's episodes.
:iconmikez83:
MikeZ83 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
An Unearthly Child
:iconinakamon:
Inakamon Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i started watching from Christopher eccleston. i recommend starting there
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Didn't that leave you somewhat confused when they started mentioning the Classic series left right and centre?

Or have you watched the Classic series?
:iconinakamon:
Inakamon Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
not really. my mum grew up with the old doctor who series and what i did not understand, i asked her about it. i've given a couple of old episodes a try and i quite like the first 3 doctors. i'm planning in giving some more of the old doctors i try soon too.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Just enjoy Matt Smith's episodes. Everything in the relaunch before that suffer from being produced by Russel T Davis.
:iconshieldforyoureyes:
shieldforyoureyes Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
It would be interesting to sit down and watch the first episode of each Doctor, in sequence. Gonna have to do that soon.
:iconpyxelle-art:
Pyxelle-art Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
If you don't want to hit a story-arc episode without any context, you should probably start at the beginning of the new series with Eccleston. They introduce old characters/villains in, but I think they did a nice job of not assuming too much about the viewer's prior knowledge. I really liked the classic Doctor Who, but I enjoyed the new Doctors as well. I don't think it's entirely necessary for you to watch the classic episodes if you don't think you'd enjoy them, most of the older episodes were more tuned to a monster-of-the-week style with recurring villains here and there.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Obviously you should start with Season 1 :iconstudmuffinplz:
Add a Comment: