Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

Favorite and Least Favorite Films in the Disney Animated Canon?

:iconsallysfunnykiss:
SallysFunnyKiss Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student Digital Artist
After watching the Nostalgia Critic's "Disneycember" series (in all of its three and a half hour glory...), I started to get a little curious about what everyone's favorite and least favorite Disney films are. So, either watch this: [link], or look up the list of films here: [link]. Then, list your top three favorites and your one least favorite and why in the comments. Pixar does not count!

My three favorites:

1) Mulan
First off, this one was the first Disney film I saw in theaters. I was maybe two or so, but I still faintly remember going with my dad. Watching it now, I never noticed all the little subtleties in the animation- for example, the NC mentioned the scene when one of the soldiers goes to shake her hand, and she holds her hand out as if she expects him to kiss it. The animation is very fluid and the story fairly solid. However, even having watched it recently, I didn't even remember the villain until the NC reminded me that he even existed.

2) Alice in Wonderland
This is easily my favorite interpretation of one of my favorite books, and they captured the sheer nonsense and insanity perfect here. I do wish that they had followed the book a bit more closely, and apparently Disney thought the same, as he hated how it turned out. I love how this entire film is like a giant sugar rush, complete with bright colors and that classic trippy Disney animation.

3) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Probably my favorite of all of the Disney Animated Canon, and definitely the one that I've seen the most (probably because it's also my dad's favorite). It's so sweet... innocent... and the sketchy style that the animators were using at the time stuck perfectly. I also love Pooh's interactions with the narrator, particularly when he's stuck in the beehive.

My unfavorite:

The Aristocats
This would have to be the most boring, pointless Disney film I've ever seen. I'm not a huge fan of animals walking around and talking just to look cute or pweshous. As the NC pointed out, this was probably intended for much younger kids. But isn't the point of Disney to entertain the adults, too? My biggest complaint? WHY IS THIS ON NETFLIX WHEN MOST OF THE GOOD DISNEY FILMS ARE NOT???

________________________________________________________________________________________

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconribbedebie:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My favourites, of all time, are Bambi, Tarzan, and Wreck-it Ralph. Of course, this is solely counting Disney and not Pixar, though Pixar's work is also great.

My least favourites are none at all because I love nearly anything that's animated and by Disney, lol.

I haven't seen all Disney movies yet, so I can't judge them all. D:
:iconbryosgirl:
bryosgirl Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Least Fave:

3) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Even as a kid, I always wondered what the big deal was over Snow White. No personality, headache-inducing voice, disrespectful, etc. It really just kinda killed the story.

2) Saludos Amigos/The Three Caballeros. I don't know why (though I would really love to know,) but these two have always seriously pissed me off. Even just seeing the rooster and parrot makes me want to take a hammer to my parents' old vhs copy.

1) Home on the Range. Painful, every step of the way.

Fave:

3) Aladdin/The Little Mermaid. These tie on the list more because they are favorite go-to movies when hanging out with my dad. They tie because they fill different roles (A=Humor, TLM=Music).

2) The Princess and the Frog. Loved seeing Disney making an attempt to get back to more Renaissance-esque features, and the setting really helped boost the fun musical side of Disney that had been dead for quite a while.

1) Beauty and the Beast. Admittedly I didn't care for it as much when I was younger, but today it's safe to say that it's my favorite. I'm going to blame it on my husband for making me fall in love and appreciate romance, even there are flaws and dysfunction, lol. :)
:iconexiledseraph6:
ExiledSeraph6 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Favs:
    Alice In Wonderland
    Robin Hood

Least Favorite:
    Pinocchio

Not sure why, maybe because it felt like a heavy-handed morality tale.
:iconomicronwanderer:
OmicronWanderer Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Lion King

Loved the introduction with the sun rising and all the animals congregating at pride rock. the feel of the stampede scene and the intense feeling of loss at Mufasa's death was just overpowering

Oliver and company:

I like how they used the environments in some of the fight scenes as well as included background city noise into the songs.

Sleeping beauty

the art style was fantastic. I kind of wish it had sold more so that disney could have made more movies in the gorgeous storybook style

close seconds:

Mulan(if not for Oliver and Company this would be in the top 3)

I probably fall in the solid majority here but the songs were just amazing

The many adventures of Winnie the Pooh and it's sequal and spinoff series.
Treasure planet was great as well
Atlantis(because it stood out it felt different and not typical Disney fare)

Least favorite:

chicken little. the animation was good but the story and characters were unlikeable

Home on the range: almost an hour after that movie I had just about no memory of it. I remember it being bad but that's about it.

brother bear

story was extremely meh. nothing really notable happened in that movie except for the dude who got turned into a bear and spend days wandering in the wilderness with a cub learning to accept himself. had some pretty visuals but that's about it.

(you have your 2 bear movies now disney, please don't make any more)

neutral:

Aristocats: it has good points and bad points

Tangled: interesting but could be a lot better.

Dinosaur: carnosaurs keep giving me nightmares whenever I watch it. those things are terrifying for Disney critters

Brave: it does not have much life of it's own it feels rather woebegone, it feels a bit orphaned and in a corner.
if not for that it would be a great film.

(I know seriously a disney princess that marries no one, Blasphemy I tell you blasphemy.)
(just joking it's a welcome relief please make more heroines that attempt to take charge of their life)
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
hmmm

Favorite

Lion King
Aladdin
Mulan
Oliver and Company
Rescuers Down Under

Least Favorite

snow white and the seven dwarves
sleeping beauty

o you know there was a 2nd disneycember?
:iconnimbusphoenix:
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Favourites in random order:

Mulan - Great motivational music.

Treasure Planet - I adored the sci-fi of it. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Alice in Wonderland - Loved the nonsense.

Unfavourite: Pocahontas 2
Didn't like the story.
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
my sister and i love Treasure Planet and we love the goo goo dolls soundtrack for it!!!
:iconkweh-chan:
Kweh-chan Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Goodness...my entire list of favourites WOULD be Pixar films.

1.) Hunchback of Notre Dame - totally raped the novel, but I love how dark and controversial it is! "Hellfire" has to be my favourite Disney scene and song, and Frollo, I believe, is the greatest Disney villain ever. While Maleficent obviously trumps them all, Frollo is actually someone believable; the world is filled with Frollos. The music is also beautiful! I hate musicals, so if I'm going to sit through one, it has to have fantastic music.

2.) Pocahontas - totally raped HISTORY, but again, I love that it deals with darker, more adult, more controversial issues. I watched it again recently, and actually realised for the first time that Pocahontas and John Smith are the only characters that can undestand each other. Very clever Disney! Points for music, too.

3.) Sleeping Beauty - I'm not a princess person by any means, but I always had a fascinition with this film. I liked the art style and the vivid and strange scenery, I liked how subdued and austere it was in comparison to other Disney films, and, of course, Maleficent. 'Nuff said there :)

Special Mentions: Snow White - a bloody masterpiece of animation; and The Sword in the Stone - hilarious!

Least Favourite:
The Little Mermaid - I hate what they did with the story; the original Hans Christian Andersen story was really quite beautiful. The ending was sad, but filled with so much hope and had a real message to it. I think Ariel was a particularly bad role model; she changed her body to please a man she met once. It just doesn't send a very good message. It did have some nice visuals, though, but minus points on music.

Special Mention: Tangled - I didn't hate it, per se, but I didn't think it was 1/10th as good as people said. I think Disney tried a little too hard on this one. Again, minus points for music.
:iconsesshomaru431:
Sesshomaru431 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Favorite: Oliver and Company (I didn't watch this for like.. I have no idea, a while! I lost the film, but I found it at a used store and watched it, honestly, I cried..)

Least: The Little Mermaid (I don't know really have a least fave, but this would be it.)
:iconcontorts214:
Contorts214 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Top 3:
1. Princess and the frog
•Everything about this movie was awesome, the characters, the setting/plot, the animation, and the SONGS!
2. Wreck-it-Ralph
•My favorite Disney CGI movie ever! What can you not like in this movie? And the fact I watched this twice makes the movie for me better.
3. The Lion King
•THIS MOVIE WAS PART OF MY CHILDHOOD! I do not know if somebody can hate this movie.
Neutral
1.Sleeping Beauty
• I don't hate this movie but its my least favorite princess movie. That does NOT mean I hate Aurora, I still like her but she not my favorite.
2. Dinosaur
• This was my favorite childhood movie when I was younger, but I don't remember much of it anymore.
Least favorite
1. Home on the range
• I just didn't really like it
2. The sequels or prequels
• Only The Little Mermaid 3 is the on I like.
Add a Comment: