Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Does anyone remember The Lost World (TV Series)??

:iconsnapperz:
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012   Writer
This aired in 1999-2001. I have very fond memories of the show and I remember being really heartbroken when it stopped airing -- however, I have a feeling I only liked it because I was young and it was actually secretly terrible. Probably a good guilty pleasure show. Does anyone remember it? Am I crazy for having such fond nostalgic memories of it? :slow:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconangelxxuan:
angelxxuan Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
another one of those ending with a cliffhanger and funding falling through and never resolved to finish and bring about another series. over all it wasn't that bad to be honest. but some stuff which starts out somewhere and ends up on TNT tends to not really spark forever. too many drama shows and not enough time to watch them.
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Writer
Yeah, I'm not even sure how much of season 3 I've even seen, since they stopped running it randomly in Canada. Shame about that -- but nothing will ever be as bad as Carnivale in terms of cliffhanger cancellations. :no:
:iconsharpestlife19:
SharpestLife19 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
YES! I was looking for it EVERYWHERE after finding most of my joys are now on DVD, but I haven't found it. I used to adore it.
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   Writer
Oh oh oh! I found it on Youtube, I've been watching it all day. :D

[link]
All the eps seemingly link off of one another!
:iconsharpestlife19:
SharpestLife19 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
THANK YOU
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Writer
:giggle: Enjoy.
:iconcuttothesex:
CutToTheSex Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
I think I remember that it was on. I sort of remember seeing an ad and being confused because I thought it was a movie and not a series. I just looked and see the series was a spinoff of the movie. The show has a respectable IMDB rating and I saw someone said they had it on DVD.

Sometimes it's best to leave things as you remembered them growing up. I've had many a disappointment watching terrible movies I thought were incredible as a kid. That IMDB score implies Lost World might not be too bad.
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Writer
Yeah, it's one of those things with loads of adaptations. Looks like they made a TV movie first with the same actors as in the series as well.

Heh, I found someone on Youtube who uploaded the whole series so I actually watched loads of it yesterday. Not disappointed at all! :D

PS. Merry Christmas!
:iconcuttothesex:
CutToTheSex Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I'm glad you found Lost World and weren't disappointed.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas too!
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Writer
:)
:iconhan-wik:
Han-Wik Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
1999-2002, actually.

The story seemed messed up, and they didn't get to truly wrap it up until the third season. But I think the development was well portrayed.
For those of you who wonder what it was about, I'd put it like this;

It's the beginning of the 20th Century.
Guided by the found materials discovered by deceased explorer Maple White, Professor Challenger hopes to prove the existence of a mysterious Plateau deep in the Amazon that supposedly supports pre-historic life.
Annoyed by the negative response given by his colleagues of the London Zoological Society, he challenges anyone to help him form an expedition and go and see if this 'Lost World' truly exists. Among the men (all volunteers for personal reasons), a mysterious, wealthy woman funds the expedition on the condition that she goes with them. On an important note- there were no ladies on the expedition in the novel (I guess the gender roles of the time wouldn't allow it).
The group of misfits in the name of glory find themselves stranded together, befriends one of the locals, and we follow their growth through tests and attempts at leaving the Plateau, while coming closer to the realisation that they are trapped there to solve a battle between fundamental forces of creation, like pieces in a game.

A villain explains that the Plateau is in reality a source of all things on Earth. Dinosaurs, time, space, cultures, etc. Challenger has been pondering about this regarding their many strange encounters too, so it's not like it was without a structure.

To be honest, I actually took a liking to the show, but not for the most common reasons. My favourite character is Challenger, the leader of the expedition. No one of the characters were anything like they were original book, but I like the professor for what he is in this series, as if the series is an independent creation. I also grew fond of the actor, Peter McCauley, whose vast role list consists of far more than just apparently comical eccentrics.
But back to the show- I'm not fond of love stories, I can see why some think it's cheesy regarding some of the acting and the jungle babe thing would normally trail me off or bore me. But to me and most of the existing fandom, the beauty about it is how it tells about strenghts and flaws, philosophical questions and answers, values and choices. A short epilogue at the end of the episode that reflects over the events and gives room for pondering- with a dash of moral and wit. Apart from the action and romance, TLW had both psychology, history, cult classic references. The zoology, however, could never be taken seriously, haha. So the show can be interesting to those like me who find intrigue in such aspects. Not that it there has to be; it depends on what you are after. On the other hand, the show could indeed get silly, and it there were times where it didn't take itself too seriously.
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   Writer
Wow! That's quite the reply.
I don't have much of a sense of what happened each season, so much as I remember odd episodes. I think one of the last episodes that aired here involved a nest of giant bees (which I'm sure never existed, haha). It makes me think the special effects can't have been that bad though. I also remember a vampire episode where Roxton gets hypnotized or something. It was a fun show if nothing else. :giggle:

The film they made sometime before was more similar to the book, if I recall.
:iconhan-wik:
Han-Wik Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Glad it came out well- I would hate to sound all sugary about it, and tried to see it from both sides. But yeah, I'm into the show! Eventually, it has inspired me to draw something else than animals (uhhh, humans are animals too, but you know XD).
I highly doubt I would have had the same feeling of ''depth'' watching the series at young age, but I stumbled upon it four years ago or so, and noticed several things about the interaction, chemistry, dialogue and character development that seemed complex for an adventure show. It should be worth checking out again.

The bee episode is one of my favourites for the reasons I mentioned, not because of the bees.XD Challenger and Marguerite were alone for the first time, having to take care of a dying Summerlee, and there were several reveals. The props and animation does vary a bit in quality, but sometimes the story and antics makes up for it. My fave critter was a gargoyle from the 2nd Season.

You are right about the entertainment value, though; my mom enjoyed it for this reason. I personally love the nods to litterature such as Jules Verne, and there was a story based on the Flying Dutchman. I also like how the explorers actually eat dinosaur meat for dinner and how the dinos are portrayed as being part of the fauna rather than killer machines.

The previous film adaptations were more after the book, but even this series started out similar to it. Some dialogue was taken directly from the book. But it quickly grew into a different sci-fi story. :P
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Yes I have heard of it. But I have never watched it.

The only time I have anything to do with that show is when I am looking at pics and vids of the gorgeous Rachel Blakely.
Snapperz Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Writer
:lmao: I just looked her up and saw she was on Neighbours for a long time. I've started watching that a bit since I moved to England. Hilarious.
:iconhoggys2much:
hoggys2much Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
I remember when Rachel first arrived in Neighbours and when she left.

I haven't watched Neighbours (except for the 20th Anniversary episode) in about 15 years.
Wow. I watched clips from the 20th anniversary ep, but I was too focused on (!!!) Jesse Spencer to remember her. Haha.

Neighbours is nothing special now, but my boyfriend insisted it was a cultural staple and I had to check it out. :lmao:
:iconbrownez-koekoez:
Brownez-Koekoez Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I forgot the story. The only thing I remember was the very sexy girl, Tarzan lookalike '3,3>
Yup. :eyes: For me, it was Roxton. He was a babe. Possibly one of my first major TV crushes.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
The lost world.. I dunno much about that, but I have this.. [link]
Wow, I haven't actually seen that, but I remember it being advertised. That's so old-school. :lol: Do you actually have a working VCR?
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
It works but IDK what's wrong with it cuz I can't get a picture on any TV and it turns on and everything, it's probably a cable that needs to be replaced :shrug:
Oy, I'm having VCR troubles as well. I'm so happy we've moved on to a simpler age. :lol:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Wait what? DVD is way more complex than VHS... Specially all these retarded codes and shit..
:lmao: I guess. It took me an absurdly long time to get my VCR to work yesterday though.
:iconshaboomi-barakuti:
Shaboomi-Barakuti Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
wow i had forgotten about that i use to watch it all the time
:w00t: Yay, I'm not alone! The episode I remember most vividly is the one where they get captured by the lizard people and are forced to fight in their gladiator arena.
:iconshaboomi-barakuti:
Shaboomi-Barakuti Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
im pretty sure i remember that its been so long XD
:iconlunaticstar:
LunaticStar Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
I remember it EXISTED but never watched it. I do have fond memories of tv from that era tho. Earth Final Conflict and Farscape spring to mind. Space, man.
Duuude, best sci-fi came out of the 90s. Farscape is Australian, right?
:iconlunaticstar:
LunaticStar Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Uh, partially? Not sure, I am pretty certain it's produced by Canadians and acted by americans and australians.
Ah, the best kind of co-production. :lol:
Add a Comment: