What got you hooked?

Here, you can talk about the specific moment, episode, character, or whatever that got you addicted to shows that you watch.

Lost: I remember not thinking much of this show after hearing the endless praise people had for it. So, the thought of even giving it a chance never crossed my mind. But one day, I stumbled upon a few episodes online and gave the pilot episode a watch. The sense of mystery about the island, and the fact that the flashbacks actually made me want to know more about the characters was what sold it for me.

Doctor Who: I started out with the new series. While I enjoyed Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, I found the show a little hard to follow. So, I decided to sample a few episodes of the old series. My first serial was Greatest Show in the Galaxy. Even though the rest of Sylvester McCoy's run would pale in comparison, I saw a story that showed exactly what Doctor Who was about.

And on another note, now that I've seen enough of the classic series, the newer one makes a lot more sense now.
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Sherlock....
I remember wanting to watch this show when it first came out, but never gave it a shot. Just recently, I found it on netflix, and watched the first episode. What got me hooked was the very first "sherlock scan" that SH gave to Watson, and the epic bromance between them.
I'm a strange person, if the show doesn't hook me by at least the 5th episode I don't really stick with it. if the show becomes too predictable I'll drop that as well, as well as dull and doesn't interest me any more. I was hooked on Alphas with the pilot and episode one with Once Upon a Time. I watch csi, ny, miami here and there, same with ncis and law and order criminal intent, but that's about it for my tv show viewing of live action.
For Doctor Who : My first episode was Idiot's lantern. And what got me hooked was the Tenth Doctor going out of the Tardis on a motorcycle. I don't know why, maybe because of the "it's bigger on the inside" or because I found it cool, but it just did the trick for me !
I really only watch one show religiously, and that is Duck Dynasty. I began watching it because I have been hunting waterfowl since I was in my early teens and I am familiar with the Duck Commander brand and I have been a "follower" of Phil Robertson for a long time. Now I watch it because those rednecks are downright hilarious and by the end of the show I have tears rolling down my face I've been laughing so hard.
Hmm, i know there were other cases but these are the two i remember the most;

1. A friend's and my parents went out for dinner one night and while scrolling to watch something we ended up coming across Venture Bros. the episode was really weird (but then when isn't it) but we were just loved it

2. My older and sister and I had started getting into anime, and my uncle had one of those Anime Sample DVDs, which had the first episode of Cowboy Bebop. We ended up watching it at one point and afterwards, really enjoyed it. The funny thing was that the show was on Cartoon Network through Adult Swim at the time and it dawned on us... "This is a cool show, and we're missing it on Cartoon Network?!"
Well the only show I really watch is Big Bang Theory, I got hooked on it because it's dang funny in general. The jokes are always funny, especially when the characters pick on each other like the constant jokes between Howard and Raj, or Penny and Sheldon. Of course another obvious reason is Sheldon, he's just hilarious and unlike any person, which makes him a joy to have around (maybe not for Leonard haha). The characters are easily likable, and the story-line is simple making it easy to follow. My favorite character on the show though is Raj, xP never get enough of how he can't talk to women without drinking lol.
Ol' Sly McCoy had some good episodes, mostly the ones with Ace. I highly recommend "Remembrance of the Daleks".

Dragonball/Dragonball Z: My love for this Anime series was Dragonball. It's first run in the US in 1996. It had that catchy song. It ended after the first saga. Then a year later, Dragonball Z aired. Had a lot of characters I didn't know. It was cancelled, right in the middle of the Frieza Saga. Now that Funimation had released the complete versions of both, I'm up date. Dragonball's fun, Dragonball Z is a masterpiece, but Dragonball GT is a giant turd.
I was getting ready to go to the mall when I noticed my dad's girlfriend watching Leverage. I sat down and watched "The Wedding Job" and realized that that show is freaking amazing. Been watching it ever since.