Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

Can people accept a serious story, if it's a cartoon?

:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Would audiences be able to accept or even laud, say an animated movie, with a serious or semi-serious story, if it was in a cartoony style?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I guess it depends how "cartoony" you mean. Does King of the Hill fall into that realm? Because I'd find it hard to watch a drama where the characters looked like South Park, but the plot was entirely serious. However, King of the Hill does a nice job of having more realistic storylines and characters although it's still certainly a comedy.
:icona-cha4649:
A-CHA4649 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Of course... TONS.
My personal favorite being Avatar/Legend of Korra.
:iconslave2karma:
Slave2Karma Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
Absolutely. Animation holds a word of opportunity for story telling, and I think a lot of people would be down for a purely grown-up animated film. However, Hollywood has very little faith in animation that's not kid or family friendly and very little know-how on advertising such films, so it hasn't really been explored so much in the USA. There's a hilarious comic called The Goon that is currently looking for funding for a film adaption (and looks AMAZING in the test pieces:[link]) but they can't get anyone to back it because very few people with money think an R rated CGI film would be able to make its money back.
:iconcaitybee:
Caitybee Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes, look at most of Disney's older animated movies such as Tarzan, it was a pretty serious movie and they pulled it off with ease.
:iconhiyoi:
hiyoi Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
There's this anime called Madoka or something that has that cutesy moe look but apparently has a serious story, and people seem to love it, so sure?
:iconsheridan-j:
Sheridan-J Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I see a lot of people have named some serious cartoons already, like Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Ghost In The Shell etc. Although they are cartoons, they are done in a realistic style and it works for them.

But by "cartoony" style, do you mean cartoony like Invader Zim, My Little Pony or Adventure Time etc?
:iconelexhad:
Elexhad Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
My Little Pony has a serious story!
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Pretty much like those, yeah.
:iconzoltor:
Zoltor Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Many a anime says high. Needless to say, yes people do accept serious stories in cartoons.
:iconducatrevel:
DucatRevel Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Writer
Spawn's animated movie series.
Add a Comment: