Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 298

Do you find Family Guy offensive?

:iconeverfae:
everfae Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
I personally like Family Guy, and I know it pokes fun at all kinds of people so it makes me feel kind of bad.
I don't think it's terribly racist, certainly controversial.
What do you think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongrendalunleashed:
GrendalUnleashed Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
I don't find it offensive, but then I like Bill Hick's, Frankie Boyle, Billy Connolly All of whom have been described as offensive at one time or another.

Stewie/Brian driven stories are always entertaining to watch, but the other characters are are so one dimensional that it has been very evident in the current series that the writers are struggling to find even adequate plotlines for them to explore and as a result are just resorting to gross abuse to fill the shows.
:iconkrunip:
Krunip Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013
It tries to be edgy and is pretty much a snooze fest
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Meh. Seth McFarlene has been purposely pushing his boundaries since the show started. That's its selling point, sort of like with South Park. It's very wrong and highly offensive, which is why people love it. As long as some people keep reacting to it, it'll keep being offensive and other people will keep watching it.

I, personally, don't get offended by any of it. It's not really serious. It's too stupid to be offended by. As I said, Seth McFarlene just likes to toe the line and see how far he can take things. I do enjoy most of the show, but recently I think he's just been trying too hard to piss people off and it just isn't funny anymore. Just annoying.
:iconmrmatsui:
MrMatsui Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013
No, i find it rather boring
:iconcherrywind101:
Cherrywind101 Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I dont know much about it but i wouldent watch it. DX
:iconyoursingingsatellite:
yoursingingsatellite Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Not offensive to me personally, no. But I can see how it offends other people. Seth Green hahahah! But that's what makes it one of the best shows there is. It's not afraid to make people feel outraged. Making people feel something is what gives all stories impact
:iconmscc93:
MSCC93 Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013
It wasn't that offensive in the first seasons, but now I want to shoot the TV every time it comes on....it's the CHARACTERS and jokes that offend me sometimes.
:icondetective-may:
Detective-May Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think it's offensive but I don't particularly enjoy it either, though I used to when I was a teenager.
:iconadigitalartist:
ADigitalArtist Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's not offensive to me but I don't think their satire is as intelligent as some others like South Park and even the Simpsons at times.
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Nah I dont find it offensive because its so blatant. I used to find it funny but its kindof lost its edge over the years. Maybe Im just desensitized. Or matured.. thats debatable :P
:iconaxl--rose:
Axl--Rose Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013
Well, offensively unfunny maybe. Although it used to be pretty good.

In any case, it's a million times better than the shitty British remake though.
everfae Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013
There's a British remake? Whaaat? D:
Axl--Rose Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013
Well it wasn't actually a remake, but it followed the tried-and-tested MacFarlane dysfunctional-family-with-non-human-character-and-shoehorned-in-pop-culture-references format so heavily that it might as well have been a British version of one of his shows. Except without anything that could be mistaken for humour or even vaguely intelligent satire.

[link]

Got cancelled after 5 episodes, thankfully. You can possibly find clips on youtube (or watch the whole bloody thing on 4od if you live in the UK. Don't though. It's depressingly shit.)
everfae Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013
I'll check it out - I'm always one to prefer British humour to American, especially if it's on Channel 4, but this one sounds like it's gonna be terrible..
Thanks for informing me :)
:iconflareaeon:
FlareAeon Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I look at Family Guy as satire, anything offensive it's doing is purely for humor and poking fun at social stereotypes and trends, and some of it us actually true despite what people say. Overall it's not meant to be taken seriously unless you find a coincidence or something.
:iconaspacecowboy:
aspacecowboy Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013
...to my intelligence.
:iconwhy-did-kenji-die:
Why-did-Kenji-die Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013
It's the stupidest show
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Professional Artist
Birds fly
The sun rose
Ubisoft were dickish to PC gamers
and Family Guy made controversy for the sake of controversy

...that sum up my opinion nicely enough? 90% less ranting!
:icon11am-daydreamer:
11AM-Daydreamer Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
There was a time when it wasn't offensive, but still hilarious. Now it's pure crap.
:iconrincewind1:
Rincewind1 Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013   General Artist
I dont find it offensive, a lot of the time they're not making fun of black/ gay people etc but they're making fun of the stereotype, also it's a cartoon, it's not meant to be taken to seriously
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Professional General Artist
The only thing I find really offensive about that show is that it's bland and generally not all that funny.  The kind of jokes they use are also repetitive and follow a few set patterns.  It actually got to a point where my boyfriend and I made a game out of counting pop culture references while watching it.
:iconwalkersoup:
WalkerSoup Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
Nah. I don't find it offensive at all. Sometimes I feel like they almost crossed that line, though.
:icontortellinipen:
TortelliniPen Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
My only problem with it is that it's become incredibly bland and that everyone's just become a caricature of themselves.
:iconjan-emir:
jan-emir Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You hit the nail on the head, man. So many running jokes filling up the 22 minute slot, the way the Griffin family turned from a dysfunctional family into a bad joke like how Stewie used to be an evil genius, but now he's the butt of gay/transexual jokes. It's not offensive it's just empty. It's been on air for too long.
:icontortellinipen:
TortelliniPen Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
Some things need to just end. It's better to end on a high note than to just stagnate. But, I guess that it's all about what makes the most money in the end.
:iconbambupandanpanda:
BambupandanPanda Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The show is too stupid to be offended by, if you're not stupid yourself that is.
:iconchrystohypercubus:
chrystohypercubus Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sometimes I find it boring and they pretty much have the same formula of jokes sometime that it gets predictable.
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Och, I hate Family Guy. It's like an awful, immature, more adult Simpsons (which is amazing, gotta love the Simpsons). It isn't that bad where the racism is concerned, but it's clearly aimed at sad acts who haven't mentally grown up and have the most poorly developed sense of humour.
In a nutshell, not clever, boring and makes me want to punch everyone. Although Stewie isn't too bad, he's cool.
Axl--Rose Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2013
The Simpsons has been mediocre for at least a decade, though.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Yes.  I solve that problem by not watching it.  No one holds a gun to your head telling you to do so.  We all have our tastes ("Different strokes for different folks").
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's completely offensive and that's exactly why I love it. ;p
:iconbogrune:
Bogrune Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yes. They always find a way to take it too far, whether it's political, religious, racist or sexual.
:iconrabbitcity:
RabbitCity Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
When it comes to certain things, Family Guy is extremely offensive.
Most of the time it's, rather, "classless" humor.
Still, it is one of America's most popular shows.
I have to mention it got cancelled twice, though.
Remember Ted?
That was hilarious, but completely inappropriate and mildly offensive, yet, it became extremely popular.
In conclusion, Seth Mcfalarne is a COMPLETE a-hole, but is brilliant at making pretty successful shows.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
McFarlane is actually a pretty cool dude.
:iconwedge-the-hedge:
Wedge-The-Hedge Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I find it offensive on how badly written and repetitive it is. But I'm biased because I really despise Seth McFarlane or however his name is spelt.
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Family Guy definitely has some :iconwtfboomplz: moments.
:iconduracellenergizer:
DuracellEnergizer Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I find Family Guy asinine.
:iconchaosvolt:
chaosvolt Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
Offensive? Sometimes.

Funny? Never.
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
That's what makes it funny. It's meant to be politically incorrect and offensive. I would be surprised if you weren't offended by it at some point.
:iconhellsing-order:
Hellsing-Order Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, when it comes to It it can be very offensive depending your beliefs and morals, but it does have it hilarious moments. :3
:iconsapphire-petal:
Sapphire-Petal Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I haven't watched it recently, so I can't really remember the last time I was "offended" by it, or if I ever really was at all. I guess with stuff like Family Guy, I try to not take it seriously because being offended and acting like a jackass about their content is what they want.

That being said, my biggest issue with Family Guy is how it's just one big mouth piece for Seth MacFarlene to complain about every single little stupid thing that goes on in his head. It's okay once in a while, but it happens all the damn time. It makes him look like an arrogant, petty child. It's like he feels entitled to always getting what he wants. Family Guy got canceled, but then he wants it back on the show. He wants another show that has the exact same formula as his breakout show. Then he wants a spin off of one of the least interesting characters of his breakout show. Then he wants to direct a full-length movie. Then he wants to host the Oscars. Honestly, I'm just completely sick of Seth MacFarlene.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
I find it offensive in that it is so stupid and annoying, but I don't think that my finding it offensive should in any way stop them from doing what they do.
:iconjseriesx7:
JSeriesx7 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Writer
I barely watch the show anymore, due to the fact that I rarely ever watch T.V, but lately I have been falling out of love with my favorite character Brian. Mainly because he gives all Liberals a bad name. And Seth goes out of his way to put his beliefs into that character.
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
Someone missed the point....
:iconangelsdead:
AngelsDead Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
idk I rarely watch it, but most time I think it's just dumb and a bit offensive towards other.
:iconcalpicokitty:
calpicokitty Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I find it funny, but sometimes they take jokes a little far. For example, when Brian has that girlfriend who's bulimic. Eating disorders aren't something we should joke about and make fun of; they're very serious.
:iconm-crackaz:
M-Crackaz Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think it is utterly hilarious and offensive...........yeah
:icontrivialtales:
trivialtales Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
Only to my intelligence.
:iconjan-emir:
jan-emir Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My nigga
Add a Comment: