Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Is Don Bluth God or something?

:iconmrsattila:
MrsAttila Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Okay so pretty recently I got caught up with That Guy With The Glasses(and the other guys) and I just want to know if there's like anybody who doesn't love Don Bluth. Is it really just me? I'll be honest, I admire all the stuff about serious subject matter and "not talking down to kids" and blah, blah, blah... but seriously, I kind of find his animation sickening. Like... EVERYTHING has dimples, and the dialogue animation (especially with children) I find is too exaggerated, it makes me hate his characters.
But like I say, I just want to know if I'm the only one who feels this way...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthespiderfrommars:
TheSpiderFromMars Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes. He is.
:iconsvenovic:
Svenovic Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
He made a couple of good movies, he made a couple of bad movies. :shrug:

I do wish animators like him made a return because Dreamworks isn't doing it for me.
:iconkmwright:
I like The Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time. Everything else, just seems soulless.:hmm: Though to be fair, I didn't see Titan A. E.
:iconturkevulture:
"I didn't see Titan AE"
You didn't miss much. The characters were forgettable and the story was completely generic. Hell, even the alien antagonists, behind all that blue-static jazz, were boring!
:iconkmwright:
I'd figured as much. :no:
No. No. No. I respect nothing about Don Bluth's work. His style is a copy of Disney. plain and simple. He made some lucrative kid's movies, and that's it. There's a reason no one talks about his animation anymore (From my perspective); it was totally generic.
:iconmrsattila:
MrsAttila Dec 9, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You, sir... I think I love you...
XD
Thanks. That made my day.
:icontheblack-kat:
TheBlack-Kat Dec 4, 2012  Student Filmographer
I love his 80's movies, but after 'All Dog's'... yeah (though admittedly I like Anastaisa and Titan AE as well, I think I might be in the minority there). The stuff he did while still at Disney was good too. But yeah, not a God.

I can understand if you don't like his animation style. It is beautifully smooth but very theatrical. Characters are constantly waving their arms around and over acting and, while I like him, I do have to admit I'm not a fan of the rounded jaw many of his characters have. Though I don't find it off-putting I can see some people would.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like Bluth, but he's FAR from perfect, and I can totally understand why some people would dislike his stuff. I personally think he's very hit-or-miss, because there are things he excels at and things he sucks at. I think he has very clever ideas for stories, but his execution is often not very good; in fact, most of his movies that do flow well from start to finish are based on specific books (like "Secret of NIMH," "Titan A.E."). When he tries to make up his own stories, or retell a story that basically needs to be given a plot (like "All Dogs Go to Heaven," "Thumbelina," or "Anastasia") he often switches radically between being mature and being some super-stupid thing for little kids. (See "In the Dark of the Night" from "Anastasia" for a perfect example. You have this dark, super-cool villain song, accompanied by...dancing rainbow caterpillars.) He doesn't stick to one tone very well.

Know what else I've noticed? Most of the most notable Big Lipped Alligator Moments in fiction show up in Bluth's movies. Makes me wonder if the BLAM really is that much of a thing in fiction, or if it's more just a Don Bluth thing.
Add a Comment: