Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Well I suppose I should finally admit it.

:icongamerdude500:
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
After many long hours of debate with friends, fellow peers, associates, and many more debates on threads and other messaging sites with many many people, I have finally come to a conclusion. I am a brony. I realize there are plenty of people on this site who dislike the show, and I ask those people to say why. Also, of course other fans are welcome to say why they enjoy the show :) I personally enjoy it because it's lighthearted, and actually has a good story, and is certainly a ton better than some of the total crap Disney is putting on the air (except Pixar, Pixar is exempt). Also, who's your favorite character in the show, and why? :) I'm actually having trouble deciding, but it's between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Thanks again guys. :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongokansupersaiyan:
GokanSuperSaiyan Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I.
Like.
Rainbow Dash.
Don't hate on me, but I like Rainbow Dash cause' of the colors.
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sweet :D I like Rainbow Dash the best too :D :)
:icongokansupersaiyan:
GokanSuperSaiyan Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Cool! :iconepicfaceplz:
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:)
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconfacepalmplz:
You're 2 years late to the after after after after party which is no longer happening because the Brony thing's pretty much run out of steam. All the "cool" kids moved on.
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hmmm, perhaps so. I don't really care though, There's still a community of people who enjoy the show and i'd like to count myself among them, no matter how unpopular of a group they may be.
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I go by the philosophy that one does not simply choose a best pony. Although, Sweetie Belle is unspeakably adorable.
:iconsweetiebelleplz:
You're new to the series, how many episodes have you watched so far?
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i've seen like 2. Basically just the pilot.
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
Dude, you've got a lot to watch. Just an FYI, you can easily find full episodes on youtube in high quality.
Here's season 1 episode 3 "Ticket Master" just to get you started [link]
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh thank you, i've watched the first twelve :) :D
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm quite the fan of the show myself. I understand it's a pretty big deal to realize you like that, which is why I'll forgive you for making yet another of these threads. :D

But anyway, while I'm sure there's no need to re-hash all the things it does well, I wonder if you would agree with its faults. MLP:FiM is probably my 4th favorite show of all time, but I feel its worst feature is its heavy reliance on stock-plots. Practically every episode is built around a generic, over-used cartoon plot. The other biggest fault I find with it is its shockingly skewed gender ratio. Though it's certainly a show intended for little girls, and the target audience is the first consideration, look at how few positive, recurring male characters there are, compared to positive recurring female characters. There's the mane six, the Cutie-mark Crusaders, and I guess Princess Celestia, making at least 9, vs. Spike, just one. 9 to 1 is a messed up ratio, regardless of audience, and I find it highly jarring.

Also, if you'll indulge me, I have another theory as to the show's popularity among men. As Carl Jung once suggested, every human being, regardless of gender, has a masculine and a feminine aspect to their personality, the animus and the anima, respectively. I speculate that one of the reasons that MLP:FiM has become so outrageously popular amongst men is that is at least a decent show with a very feminine tone, which is so rare in our culture that men have thus far basically been starved for it. It's kind of like why black people go see Tyler Perry movies. It's pretty much the only big name black comedy film around, and they take what they can get, for they are starved for it. Of course, MLP:FiM isn't just "make do," I think it's legitimately good on its own merits, but I don't think it would have gotten nearly as much recognition if we weren't all desperate for this sort of thing. I, of course, speak from personal experience. What do you think?
Well, I probably won't be able to come up with as grand a response as this, but i'll try ha ha :) I can agree about the whole male to female (mare to stallion?) ratio thing, doesn't really make much sense to me. And yes it does rely on overly used plotlines (from what I can tell anyway, i've only seen a few episodes, the first two) Which brings me to a question: Which season would you say is the best? (thank you much for this varied and helpful response, unlike some people on here, you were actually very nice , thank you again) :)
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmm, it is difficult to say which season is the best, as we have only just begun the third. Nevertheless, in my opinion, Season 2 is better than Season 1, as the characters have all been well established at that point allowing for more world-building, and it featured two eldritch horrors instead of one. The first two episodes deal with one villain of god-like power, and the last two deal with another. They're excellent episodes, suffice it to say.

However, Season 3 has only just started, and it's been very good so far. It also begins with the introduction of a powerful villain, making him the fourth such villain, and in my opinion, the best. I would not be surprised if Season 3 continues the upward trend.
Hmm, the only villian i've seen was Nightmare Moon, she was pretty cool. And i guess i'll just have to watch the rest of the show and pick my favorite :)
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I thought it was pretty cool how they used an idea straight from the pages of Lovecraft: i.e. sealed away, only to return when the stars were in the proper alignment. This show has some great villains.
Yeah :) And i liked the finishing move they used, just a giant tide of rainbow lol (thereby proving that Rainbow Dash is the best haha) :)
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
*It's not like
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
oh. ok. typos are true evil.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
There really isn't any reason to admit you're a brony. It's like it's a secret that there are plenty of fans of the show.
hmm. maybe so.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Hmm... well.. TBH there's no need to admit that you're a brony. :XD: But that's alright.

I don't dislike the show, but I don't love it either. It's an okay show.

Here are some pros an cons:
Pros:
-The animation is nice and colorful. It makes it pleasing to look at. To be honest, though I'm not a huge fan of flash animation. :shrug:
-I also like the character designs. Specifically the villains' character designs. I think they're really interesting.

Cons:
-The fanbase kinda makes this show look like it's the holy grail of animation. It's not, in my opinion. D= It has its mistakes you know, such as the main characters' personalities. They've been done millions of times in other cartoons. I don't see what makes them so different from other cartoon characters. Although you have to admit, Fluttershy is adorable. Nvm... all of them are cute, including Spike, lol.
gamerdude500 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes they all are :) Fluttershy is probably my favorite followed very closely by Rainbow Dash :) and Spike is cute too, although he would be cooler if he were red.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Naw... purple fits him well.

Ughhh... that Mew icon's adorable. :XD:
hmm, maybe so :) and yes i know i love it :) perhaps i should get a MLP icon now? :)
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student General Artist
You don't have to. Let people know by your actions. =P
hmm, maybe so :)
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student General Artist
:shrug: It's your decision you know! :dummy:
true true :)