Odd Olympic Thought

Okay I know this might not be the best place to put it but the Olympics are on TV so it counts to be put here right?

Okay I know the Olympics are Far over but this thought just popped into my head at a random moment. I would like to know your opinions about it.

Do Web toes have and advantage in the Swimming trials in the Olympics and if so is it an unfair advantage?

The is my question let us discus it and see what every one thinks.
Comments11
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It would probably depend heavily on the kind of stroke and the swimmer's technique. If you remember the strokes that involved wavelike motions, then maybe. A little. But ones with a flat-out kick? Probably not. And as noted, our toes are already so close together that unless they fanned out as a result of the webbing, the advantage is minimal.
I like this one too.

I am shocked people actually are reading this.
I check the forums nearly every day, and I've been curious about the human boundaries on Olympic performance for years. We're approaching the point, in several events, where human bodies can't advance much further without rearranging physiology or suffering major injury -- which we do! Just look at how many develop severe medical complications or even asthma!
hey I have Asthma okay I just wanted to say that. But yea it is a good point.

Although I have another Olympic form idea that deals with superheros that dont have superpowers like is it unfair to have green arrow or hawkeye on the archery team even though they have no enhancments
So you know what a tricky condition asthma is. My best friend has it, and one other acquaintance as well. Both have it under control, though; no severe attacks for months at a time; just mild discomfort at intervals.
Well, if a superhero has no mutations or mystical powers, what's the harm in having a hero compete? The only advantage is that they trained far longer than anyone else.
That's my superhero...:D
View all replies
Okay....... This is interesting......

Well, biology is not my specialty, but strictly speaking I don't think having webbed toes would necessarily enable a person to swim faster. It would help them to displace more water with each stroke, but I don't know if that would add up to a faster time, and time is really what counts in the Olympics.

Also, I know that some people are born with webbed toes (and sometimes fingers) but how common is that, really? I don't know of any specific cases, but out of how many births does something like webbed digits actually occur?

P.S. How did this come into your head, anyway?
Good theory.

My Grandmother thinks it would not really help because our toes are close together when we are swimming. That the webbing would cause some drag and that might be an issue.

The idea popped into my head randomly like most of my thoughts but I think this one has to deal with a combination of cold medicine soda as well as this comic [link]