The best new universes, created in cinema?

I came up with the idea for a chart, counting the most visually stunning or creative worlds, portrayed in cinema, just for fun... and as a great way to feature some amazing fan art.

[link]
Have a look and share your thoughts. Which imaginative universes in movies do u love?
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Star Wars galaxy some of those planet's are just amazing like Coruscant and Naboo. I also like the concept art of Alderaan too.
The fifth level down -- Inception
The seabed in 'Finding Nemo'
The Discworld in 'Hogfather'
Asgard in 'Thor'
I see you need ten more to go ;p

Well if we are going by just the looks and design of these fictional worlds and places, some of my favourite movie-landscapes/universes are:

:bulletblue: Pandora from "Avatar". Once you get past the giant killer six-legged cougar-like beasts, you have yourself an absolutely gorgeous forest world to explore. Never have I seen a science fiction movie put in so much effort into the design of the nature of the planet itself rather than just presenting the same old over-industrialized city environments (which are cool, but enough is enough, I want to see more colourful and creative alien planets, not more grey cities). Pandora's glowing vegetation in it's electric blues and purples make even the best gardens on Earth look boring by comparison, the floating mountains are kickass (even if very hard to believe even with the magnetic repulsion theory they explained) and all of it orbits around a huge Jupiter-like planet illuminating the night sky, which means this "planet" is actually a moon, which just makes it a bit more bizarre :omg:

:bulletgreen: The coral reef from "Finding Nemo". Be prepared, I just love animated movies so the rest are all going to be those, and I often love watching them for their scenery as much as the characters and content itself. Coral reefs already set the bar of amazing worlds pretty high, and Finding Nemo just upped it ten times over with the most beautiful and colourful, yet somehow still natural-looking underwater scenery I've ever seen :fish:

:bulletyellow: The Truffula Tree Forest from "The Lorax". This landscape looks like my dream place from when I was a kid, hell - even now! A lush green hilly meadow that seems to go on forever, covered in tall trees that look a bit like palms, only the "leaves" are made of a very soft material that looks like fur or cotton-candy, and they come in a variety of bright, eye-catching colours :pills:

:bulletred: Pen-Gu Island from "Surf's Up". This was an animated movie made by Sony Pictures I believe, and not as popular or memorable as the works of Pixar and Dreamworks. But just as visually stunning, especially regarding the locations featured in the film. The island is likely inspired by Hawaii so it doesn't feel very otherworldly. But it sure looks like an incredible place to take a relaxing vacation. Some of the beaches and landscape features are beautiful, and feel surprisingly realistic. They did an amazing job animating realistic water and waves too, even right down to sunlight filtering through the waves just before they crash over (which I guess was important in a movie starring surfing penguins :penguin:)
Thanks a lot for your comment, you actually guessed one of the films in top 10 - [link]
I certainly considered The Lorax too, but I thought Horton hears a who is similar and it would represent both of them ;]
Cool! And I didn't notice Horton Hears a Who in there before, so I guess that's one Dr Suess movie in there (and I loved that too :D)
The future L.A. of "Blade Runner."

Granted, that "future" is now only about 4 years from now, but if you pretend it's 3016 instead of 2016, then it's almost believable.
yeah, they love putting flying cars in the sky 20 years from now.... can't see that happening any time soon ;]
Blade Runner was actually in the chart, but I thought The Fifth Element was a little bit more interesting in its representation of the future ;]
I still need to see "Fifth Element." It looks right up my alley!
Hello Kitty's Paradise