2D or 3D Animated Films: Which do you like better and why?

Asking due to curiosity and a statistics project I'm working on. I study animation and a lot of people (including me almost) believe that 3d has taken over because it's everywhere now, but is that really true?

I ran this as a poll elsewhere and was surprised to find out, not many like 3d!

How about you guys?
Comments78
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
3D is certainly taking over and in all honesty, it hurts my eyes! Especially when now they put 2 hour movies into 3D like Harry Potter, which is a killer on your eyes having to focus that much. Some movies now are available only in 3D which bothers me since it's 3$ more for a ticket, and I just would really prefer 2D since the movie would get it's purpose across with 3D or not to me. The one movie I thought was absolutely amazing with 3D and couldn't be seen any other way was Life of Pi. Cleverly filmed to support 3D effects without overwhelming the eyes, and it was beautiful, made the whole movie seem to come to life.
I like it when they're used together.

Take the film Spirited Away, it uses it effectively despite being simple. The 2-D/3-D look of the film would have you go, "LOOK AT THE DETAILS!"
2d animation. I think 3d animation has yet to be perfected. Also, I feel much less connected to the art direction while I'm watching a 3d animated film.
2D!! 2D!! 2D!!

I think it's so much more heart to a movie that's been handdrawn. It affects me more, and they are way more beautiful than 3D animated movies. I really can't believe why most film makers dismiss the 2D movies these days. I mean, there IS a market for it.
I like 2d movies, as compared to the movies 3d movies. Because 2d movies actually keep, us in the same atmosphere as that in the comics.The touch that comics have with 2D movies ,is amazing.

But as the 3D movies are taking the animation market all over the world , there are only few people which are keeping alive the 2D movie feel in our life.
The whole talk on animation movies is great.
I like how realistic 3d can be and has more depth, but I also love how expressive 2d is and how there is more movement. By the way, there is a new Pixar short that combines the two that is absolutely amazing called Paperman!!!!! Just had to say
2D. I love Classics
3D is cool I like it sometimes. It seems to give me headaches though sometimes... and for that reason I'll say 2D is better.
2d just has that unmatchable charm about it.
I mean, 3d can have better details, but, 2d just has this style, and.....
Both types are good, but I like 2d a little better.
hmm im not sure if 3d has taken over, but there is a sort of appeal to 2d, one of my favorite 2d anime of all time is spirited away and i dont think that would have translated as well into 3d. Some awesome example of 3d are toy story of course, FF advent children and shrek etc. i love both i think depends on the film.
I've never liked 3D (Mainly becuase the old glasses hurt my eyes =P) So, when I went to see my first 3D film without the red and blue lenses, I had high hopes.
I like the idea of 3D, I just don't think it's ued very effectively in films. It doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't improve my viewing experience.
I'm a film student and I really appreciate the effort and quality of 2D film. The reactions you experience whilst watching 2D film is all achieved through clever use of cinematography, it's facsinating to look into how much detail there is in 2D film to really involve and captivate the viewer. I had to write an essay on the first 3 minutes of Donnie Darko's cineamatography, and I still had to cut out bits of information.
I believe film is at it's bet when 2D because there is a constant focus on attention to detail. I have not yet seen a 3D film with any form of structure or pattern applied to the 3D element.
If there has been, however, I'd be happy to be proved wrong =) I'd love to see 3D used more effectively =)
3D is really good (Pixar or Dreamworks)
But 2D is the best for me! :D
I prefer 2D because it feels like more of an art form to me. I mean, have you ever watched Bambi? The backgrounds are all watercolor and they're so beautiful. Or Spirit, about the horse? I love the animation in that movie. The 3D movies feel more like... really high quality video games. Which I mean, I'm sorry, I understand that video games and 3D movies have art teams and all, but that just feels so overdone nowadays.
The unfortunate thing is, the math. Get this right-
Lets take a scene where we have a changing background that's watercolor painted. For one second, it needs to be painted 24 times. By thirty seconds, you'll have painted that same thing 720 times and it has to match. It sucks. xD It really does. I've attempted something like that before and I about died.

I've watched Bambi yeah. My boss, as it were, is an ex Disney animator. (from Little Mermaid to Chicken Little) and she's teaching us the right way. Unfortunately, the right way is extensive and requires a lot of time.

It's a difficult thing to accept, the 3D movies. I imagine it's here to stay, but I also do think when people get used to it, 2D will make a comeback. :) Hopefully xD

Thank you for having a more reasonable response.
I don't mind 3D as it can be done very well. I prefer 2D, which is almost unfortunate as the more adult animated films are becoming harder to find. Disney and Pixar are obviously at the front of 3D animated films, but most 2D seem to be anime. I suppose it's a good thing I enjoy anime, I just wish I could find more animated films that use that gritty, western comic style for characters.
Keep your chin up! :) Disney Blog has mentioned bringing back 2D with a film. Like all films, it's going to take a few years, but it's possibly gonna be back.
I'm not the biggest Disney fan, though they have made some great movies over the years. I'm very happy with the new Marvel animated films that have been coming out, especially the new Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about.

[link]
[link]

And numerous other examples both American and Japanese.
I'm glad you posted the second link, because the first link was difficult to watch the tweened animation xD

It's a start, if Disney does something though, chances are, others will follow. I can tell that younger stuff isn't your thing though.
Yeah, probably not the best animation but I enjoyed it. I didn't grow up watching Disney and the only cartoon I remember watching as a child was Garfield & Friends. I did watch different anime and some Saturday morning cartoons, but I grew up on Westerns and War movies/shows.
I hate 3D animated films with every fiber in my living being, with the major exception of Tangled (the ONLY good CGI movie I have seen), so 2D.
I was watching a Pixar documentary and it was talking about how because Pixar's "Toy Story" and "A Bug's Life" sold so well, and Disney's current 2d animations weren't doing so hot, Disney decided to cut its 2d animation department down in order to make 3d films...
Which to me is sad, and seems to have been the mindset of more companies than just Disney. I enjoy both styles, but I think its a shame that 2d animation has been abandoned in American film making. The key is to make a GOOD film, but unfortunately many today are 90% sales pitch.
I have favorites from both styles, but for me personally hand drawn animation is the most inspiring. Ghibli films and classic disney are my favorites (Frank and Ollie were amazing!).
I have to disagree on the sales pitch percentage.

I imagine they also cut it down due to the overall cost of making a 2d film (from employers to hours). There is also the problem with schools that teach animation not teaching full on 2d animation anymore. I'm a bit shocked that people blame companies so easily, as it is not really their fault what so ever. I nearly came out of college with knowing only 3d animation, but thankfully, I ended my degree while they still had 2d animation classes. Due to this, there is obviously gonna be a lack of 2d animators that they could hire to do movies, because not many are trained to work on something that heavy. It's difficult enough just working on cartoons for a deadline.