"Cartoons were better in the old days!"

...is what I keep bumping into when I look at discussions of the quality of cartoons in general on the internet.
For example, "Cartoon Network turns out crap cartoons now", "the cartoons made nowadays suck" or something similar on other networks.
I keep an eye on western cartoons. :iconlazeplz:

So to all forum dwellers, what do you consider to be a good cartoon that has been either made fairly recently or is still airing? :iconryojidaisyplz:
Japanese cartoons and animated shorts don't count, obviously there are plenty of good ones out there.
And don't bother bitching at the term "Japanese cartoons", most fans should already know that the term "anime" means cartoons anyway. :icontrollfaceplz:
Comments171
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yeah old school cartoons were awesome too bad nickelodeon and Cartoon Network went downhill
American Dad! undoes all their opinions.
rocko's modern life
Gravity Falls isn't too bad! Nothing special for me, but the animation in the opening as well as the song are pretty nice. I also like the new TMNT, the character animation is snappy and cute. And Phineas and Ferb, while repetitive, is a decent show. None of those are Cartoon Network though, which I find pretty unwatchable now (Adventure Time is tolerable, not painfully bad as most of the rest of the lineup is for me).

I will admit, I prefer the shows I grew up on in the 90s. I was watching a few old episodes of Mighty Max and the writing was really witty and fun for a show that's based on friggin' Polly Pockets designed for boys. There was some great writing in the Batman shows of the time as well, and Disney knew how to make a continuous storyline with characters that had depth. Warner Brothers 'toons were very smart and appealed to both the kids and their parents. I find many current cartoons to be lacking in good plot, suspense, character development, and writing. It feels like a lot of "so random LOL!!! I made a funny meme reference!" humor is shoe-horned into them. But there are a few good ones in any generation, and there are some bad ones no matter what decade you're looking at too. Some years are slower as well, need to give it time to come back around and hope that some new unique material gets out there.
I enjoy Gravity Falls.
I'd Say Regular show, and Avengers Earth's Mightest heroes.
I would normally have said that the cartoons today are rubbish compared to the ones I grew up with but that's because I didn't grow up with them! Your tastes change as you get older so that's a factor and I think part of it is also about nostalgia. I'm sure if we could all see another episode or series of our favourite cartoon that no longer airs we would all be very happy :D but that's because it reminds us of our childhood and care free days :)

Personally for me, some of the 90s cartoons will be my faves! Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Ed, Edd and Eddy etc. Then there are some which I love but have changed through the years. TMNT being my favourite!! I remember watching the first show when I was quite young and then growing up on the 2003 series and now I've fallen in love with 2012's new show :D Good times ;)
personally I hate the way classic 2D cartoons such as winnie the pooh and garfield are now being remade as computer animationns the end result isa poor imitation o the original xompletely lacking any soul
It isn't too bad but forgettable. :P
To me anyway.
I didn't know Winnie the Pooh was in CG now.
I don't know if this counts but as a kid I LOVED Kim Possible and watched it every single day lol :P I also liked Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends along with Catdog, Winx Club, Spongebob and so on. :)
adventure time is good! but i can't STAND gravity falls.
i think cartoons were best in the 60s/70s - of course, i wasn't alive then, but i remember things such as looney tunes, various scooby doo shows...they were all shown when i was younger. the shows from the nineties kind of sucked, imo, see edd ed n eddy or w/e it was called, and i hated spongebob...teen titans was AMAZING though, as was legion of superheroes, and ben 10, the original (:
Cool taste. :P
What's wrong with Gravity Falls?
the art style
i know it's a really petty thing to be annoyed about but the art style really, really annoys me
the faces are just so...peppy haha, it's too much for me x_x plus the entire thing reminds me of spongebob and i cant deal with it
Understandable. :P
Kind of my reason for being hesitant to check it out. XD
(:
hehe, what? the style or spongebob resemblance?
The art style. ^^
Not 100% true.

Adventure Time, Gravity Falls come to mind in this argument.
Is that sarcasm? *confused*
No, not at all. :)
Seriously, it's not sarcasm. :D
90's cartoons all the way !

Batman TAS , Spiderman TAS , Hey Arnold , Dexter's lab , TMNT , just to name a few !

The only new cartoon I like now is THe legend of Korra which is fun to watch.
Awesome tastes. :D

Understandable. :P
I admit I'm not a fan of the recent cartoons CN has put out lately. Adventure Time? Regular Show? Eh, I dislike them not to be rude to anybody who does enjoy them. Seems the only show I enjoy at this moment is Friendship is Magic while including some older shows such as Batman the Animated series because you know, that show is awesome.