Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 173

"Cartoons were better in the old days!"

:iconnimbusphoenix:
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
...is what I keep bumping into when I look at discussions of the quality of cartoons in general on the internet.
For example, "Cartoon Network turns out crap cartoons now", "the cartoons made nowadays suck" or something similar on other networks.
I keep an eye on western cartoons. :iconlazeplz:

So to all forum dwellers, what do you consider to be a good cartoon that has been either made fairly recently or is still airing? :iconryojidaisyplz:
Japanese cartoons and animated shorts don't count, obviously there are plenty of good ones out there.
And don't bother bitching at the term "Japanese cartoons", most fans should already know that the term "anime" means cartoons anyway. :icontrollfaceplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbarnowlgurl23:
barnowlgurl23 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah old school cartoons were awesome too bad nickelodeon and Cartoon Network went downhill
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
American Dad! undoes all their opinions.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
rocko's modern life
:iconrobo-shark:
Robo-Shark Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Gravity Falls isn't too bad! Nothing special for me, but the animation in the opening as well as the song are pretty nice. I also like the new TMNT, the character animation is snappy and cute. And Phineas and Ferb, while repetitive, is a decent show. None of those are Cartoon Network though, which I find pretty unwatchable now (Adventure Time is tolerable, not painfully bad as most of the rest of the lineup is for me).

I will admit, I prefer the shows I grew up on in the 90s. I was watching a few old episodes of Mighty Max and the writing was really witty and fun for a show that's based on friggin' Polly Pockets designed for boys. There was some great writing in the Batman shows of the time as well, and Disney knew how to make a continuous storyline with characters that had depth. Warner Brothers 'toons were very smart and appealed to both the kids and their parents. I find many current cartoons to be lacking in good plot, suspense, character development, and writing. It feels like a lot of "so random LOL!!! I made a funny meme reference!" humor is shoe-horned into them. But there are a few good ones in any generation, and there are some bad ones no matter what decade you're looking at too. Some years are slower as well, need to give it time to come back around and hope that some new unique material gets out there.
:iconevb16:
evb16 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
I enjoy Gravity Falls.
:iconmikethemerciless:
Mikethemerciless Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'd Say Regular show, and Avengers Earth's Mightest heroes.
:icontamarviewstudio:
TamarViewStudio Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Photographer
I would normally have said that the cartoons today are rubbish compared to the ones I grew up with but that's because I didn't grow up with them! Your tastes change as you get older so that's a factor and I think part of it is also about nostalgia. I'm sure if we could all see another episode or series of our favourite cartoon that no longer airs we would all be very happy :D but that's because it reminds us of our childhood and care free days :)

Personally for me, some of the 90s cartoons will be my faves! Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Ed, Edd and Eddy etc. Then there are some which I love but have changed through the years. TMNT being my favourite!! I remember watching the first show when I was quite young and then growing up on the 2003 series and now I've fallen in love with 2012's new show :D Good times ;)
:iconrincewind1:
Rincewind1 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   General Artist
personally I hate the way classic 2D cartoons such as winnie the pooh and garfield are now being remade as computer animationns the end result isa poor imitation o the original xompletely lacking any soul
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It isn't too bad but forgettable. :P
To me anyway.
I didn't know Winnie the Pooh was in CG now.
:iconmystory557:
Mystory557 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't know if this counts but as a kid I LOVED Kim Possible and watched it every single day lol :P I also liked Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends along with Catdog, Winx Club, Spongebob and so on. :)
Awesome taste. :D
:iconava-ire:
ava-ire Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
adventure time is good! but i can't STAND gravity falls.
i think cartoons were best in the 60s/70s - of course, i wasn't alive then, but i remember things such as looney tunes, various scooby doo shows...they were all shown when i was younger. the shows from the nineties kind of sucked, imo, see edd ed n eddy or w/e it was called, and i hated spongebob...teen titans was AMAZING though, as was legion of superheroes, and ben 10, the original (:
Cool taste. :P
What's wrong with Gravity Falls?
ava-ire Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
the art style
i know it's a really petty thing to be annoyed about but the art style really, really annoys me
the faces are just so...peppy haha, it's too much for me x_x plus the entire thing reminds me of spongebob and i cant deal with it
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Understandable. :P
Kind of my reason for being hesitant to check it out. XD
ava-ire Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
(:
hehe, what? the style or spongebob resemblance?
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The art style. ^^
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Not 100% true.

Adventure Time, Gravity Falls come to mind in this argument.
Nice taste. :P
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Is that sarcasm? *confused*
No, not at all. :)
Seriously, it's not sarcasm. :D
:icongreentofu:
greentofu Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
90's cartoons all the way !

Batman TAS , Spiderman TAS , Hey Arnold , Dexter's lab , TMNT , just to name a few !

The only new cartoon I like now is THe legend of Korra which is fun to watch.
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Awesome tastes. :D

Understandable. :P
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I admit I'm not a fan of the recent cartoons CN has put out lately. Adventure Time? Regular Show? Eh, I dislike them not to be rude to anybody who does enjoy them. Seems the only show I enjoy at this moment is Friendship is Magic while including some older shows such as Batman the Animated series because you know, that show is awesome.
Interesting taste. :P
Of course, it's the goddamn Batman! :D
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
It's not a big list, but ...

1: Regular Show. 2: Aqua Teen Hunger Force. 3: Black Dynamite (it's grown on me) 4: Superjail (also grown on me). 5: Adventure Time. 6: South Park. 7: Adventures of Gumball.
8: Robot Chicken.

I didn't include old shows running in syndication w/ no new eps on the horizon (or anime, since almost all the anime on t.v is already available on disc and ended their original runs in Japan) for a reason; to illustrate a point. There just isn't nearly as many cartoons on t.v these days I could say I like compared to even seven years ago, let alone 10, 15+ years back (and trust me, there are plenty of old cartoons that haven't aged well, so I'm not one of "those" kind of people. It's just honestly the truth of it).
Great tastes. :D

Which cartoon do you think hasn't aged well the most? :P
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
Well, one I've seen recently was 'Eek! The Cat', that one's aged pretty badly tbh. I loved the hell out of it as a kid (it even game me an idea w/ a dog character), but now you can plainly see its references and the humor's pretty flat. Plus, it never seems like Eek gets that hurt.

And you?
Not really, a lot of the cartoons I watched seemed okay...
Besides, I don't remember most of it anyway... ^^;
Does Winx Club count because I watched some of the first season and liked it because it was different to a lot of the other cartoons. And now I've watched a few episodes from the most recent season and now I find it silly. :P
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Gravity Falls, Young Justice, Venture Brothers, all great animated shows currently in production. I would say the ratio of good cartoons to bad cartoons has been fairly consistent throughout the decades, with just a little variation in one direction or the other.
Makes complete sense. ^^
:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
"The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack"... and "Adventure Time" kind of grows on you after a while. I don't know HOW recently we're talking, because I love me some "Courage the Cowardly Dog" as well :)
Recent enough. :P
Cool taste. :D
:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Lol thanks :)
:iconlouiseugeniojr:
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have to admit, the animated shows on Nickelodeon were a lot better in the 90's than they are now.
What do you consider as good old Nickelodeon shows? :P
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hey Arnold!, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Doug, and CatDog, among others.
Cool tastes. :D
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A few of those shows air as part of TeenNick's late-night "The 90's are All That" block.
:iconlilnanny:
Lilnanny Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I watch more Western Cartoons then Japanese cartoons. I love the stuff from the 60s and 70s the most.

Though it is hard to say if old cartoons were better or worse. All I can say is the internet has made it easier to access more good shows (old and new).
nimbusphoenix Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True dat. :D
:iconsentaihero123:
SentaiHero123 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Writer
I like Young Justice and its sequel series, Young Justice Invasion. they put so much effort on worldbuilding, plus unlike a lot of other shows, the villains win most of the time.
:iconjzlobo:
JZLobo Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not so much world-building, as world-streamlining. They've taken decades of muddled-up DC continuity and streamlined it into something slick and awesome.

And what you're referring to is a Xanatos Gambit.
Decent taste, it is refreshing to have the good guys succeed in one part and the villains achieve their goals most of the time. :P
:icont-deines:
t-deines Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Filmographer
I liked Kim Possible. Which is on the brink of being old/new.

I had to think back on old shows. I suddenly started laughing a bit when I realized that New Kids on the Block had a cartoon show. I watched a couple eps.

Huge fan of Shaun the Sheep.

Recently, Avatar has taken my heart. I adore that it's all hand drawn then digitized in cleanup and color. Absolutely brilliant.
Nice tastes. :D
I love Shaun the Sheep. :love:
:icont-deines:
t-deines Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Filmographer
It's so awesome. So awesome.
:iconkayanne21:
kayanne21 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I read a funny article on cracked once with something about this on it. It had a bunch of pop culture arguments that people make and then gave what they (unconsciously) meant. The one for this was
"I'm getting older but no one told me!" XD

I'm not sure how much that is true, but I have to admit, a lot of the time it does sound like that. When I here arguments about how "things aren't as good now as they used to be" I just think of how my dad used to say the exact same thing about Shows I used to watch. XD (though as time went by, he actually started to love those too.) And his father used to complain about shows he used to watch. It's kind of interesting when you look at how cartoons have evolved. The cartoons of the 30s were classics, especially in animation. Then in the 60's animation took a down step and a lot people who grew up on the older cartoon of the 30s might have looked at things like Scoody Doo and The Flitstones and thinking they were garbage because of the limited animation. Then there was our generation and animation started to improve again. I'm not trying to make a point or anything, I'm just wondering what future generations are going to think about this generation of cartoons. Because what we think of them now might be different from what future generations will think. Will they be seen as masterpieces, or will they be seen garbage?

I may be wrong of course, having not actually watched any of the new cartoons, in a long time. The last time I watched cartoon network though, I did kinda like what I saw. I just realised that the shows were not made for me any more. However, I can't deny that the cartoons from the 90 were undeniably better. Though I can't help but think that's just my tight grip on my nostalgia goggles saying that. XD
I saw that article too!
Yay, a fellow cracked reader! :D

Probably more of a mix of a few gems and easily forgettable ones. Either way as an example on how far animation has gotten. At least, the style of cartoons aired on TV. :P

Perhaps. ^^
:iconkayanne21:
kayanne21 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Cracked's awesome. :D

I wonder what animation's going to be like 20 years from now. 5 quid says that everything's going to be CG and we'll be begging for the crap we have today back.
Add a Comment: