Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Am I the only one who preferred "Mirror Mirror" over "Snow White and the Huntsman&quo

:icongaucelm:
gaucelm Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student General Artist
So there have been TWO live-action Snow White movies that came out this year. Sounds too stupid to be true, but that kind of crap strangely happens a lot these last 15 years (especially with CGI animated films).
Heck, when I heard of the two movies, I thought at first they were talking about the SAME movie. But I digress.

"Mirror Mirror" with Lily Collins as Snow White came out first, followed months later by "Snow White and the Huntsman" with Kristen Stewart as the titular role (Snow White, of course).

Which one is the one people anticipate the most? The one people say is gonna teh awesome cuz dey take a Disney faiwy tale and make it daaaaark and wiv lot of action wiv Snow White FIGHTING and it's like sooo kewl guise!
Or maybe this is the type of cliché garbage I have seen a dozen times; take something known as "cutesy" and "enchanting" and make it "dark" and "edgy".
It's like those people who do fanarts of cartoon animal characters by drawing them as humans; it makes you feel creative and original, but actually it is NOT. Because it's being done SO much and it's actually EASY to do it.

I saw "Mirror Mirror" first. It was campy, it was cute, it was pretty, it was funny, it was kinda like "The Princess Bride" in its execution. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it a lot. Lily Collins makes a very good Snow White (she IS a decent actress and LOOKS the part - and look at those eyebrows!).

Saw "Snow White and the Huntsman" later. It would be easy to say that I am biased because I saw it AFTER. But even despite that...
it was kinda boring, it tries to be gritty but it's dry instead, it tries to have kewl action but I don't care about it, it has kewl FX but I don't give a damn about CGI stuff anymore... and honestly, making everything so "dark" and "grim" is not a "I'M-SO-COOL" ticket. Here, it's like desaturating a picture and adding a lot of black lines so that you can say "See? I am not being silly! I am serious and adult!" Yawn.
Kirsten Dunst doesn't make a good Snow White. I don't care about "Twilight" (and let's leave it at that), but she hardly feels like Snow White (Lily Collins at least has dark enough hair/eyes and light enough skin) and is not a good actress. She would make a better model than an actress.

And now I am shocked to hear so many negative reviews about "Mirror Mirror"... a movie magazine calling it the "turkey of the year" (they did the same with "Morning Glory", which is also a movie I like very much!) and the Blockbuster Buster bashing the hell out of it... (hate this annoying uninspired dude on TGWTG)

Am I the only one who liked it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsapphire-petal:
Sapphire-Petal Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Well, neither of them were very good, but out of the two, I'd say that Mirror Mirror was the LEAST awful of the two. At least in Mirror Mirror, I felt a LITTLE bit entertained.

But Snow White and the Huntsman? One of the most mediocre films I've seen in quite a while. I knew it wasn't going to be good, but at the very least, I thought I would be ENTERTAINED. But I WASN'T, in fact I was BORED which is the biggest crime a film can commit. Yes, even with the hotness that is Thor, I was BORED by Snow White and the Huntsman. (And just an FYI, I saw Snow White and the Huntsman first in theaters and I later saw Mirror Mirror on DVD).
gaucelm Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Well, I saw "Mirror Mirror" in theaters and "Huntsman" in the airplane, if you are interested.
:iconx-shadowed-dawn-x:
x-shadowed-dawn-x Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   Writer
Definitely not the only one. I didn't like Snow White and the Huntsman - should've just been called The Huntsman or hell just about Ms. Evil Queen. :/ I get they wanted Snow White to be bland - but crap man they got what they wanted and more. Loved Mirror Mirror though~! <3 That was a good one
gaucelm Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Oh yeah, I agree with that!
:iconxdimov:
XDimov Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012   General Artist
I really thought I would like Mirror more, but I don't know what happened with that movie... at one point it lost its mood, it stopped being funny and it definitely wasn't scarry or thrilling. Something is missing in that one.......
On the other hand 'Snowhite and the Huntsman' did what we expected from it - it was epic, beautiful, with great effects and actually pretty good performances. Also I think the plot was quite good for that kind of movie ;]
And btw I agree with =Tianithen, 'Snow White a Tale of Terror' is really solid adaptation of the story... very dark and it has Sigourney Weaver, which can't be bad :]
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I havent seen either but I wold have mor likely gone for mirror mirror as it seemed my sort of film as the huntsman one didnt seem that good.
:iconshadowangel3:
ShadowAngel3 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nope, I slightly prefer "Mirror, Mirror" over "Snow White and the Huntsman". At the very least, "Mirror, Mirror" doesn't have Kristen Stewart in it. ;)
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Can't really compare the two, I feel.. I've seen both. I suppose Snow White and the Huntsman is more mature, better graphics, has a further sense of depth (perhaps?) but.. yeah, they're produced to two different markets, no?

I liked both pretty much equally. They both had their merits and flaws. :nod:
:iconpharaoh-ink:
Pharaoh-Ink Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I actually didn't see the Huntsman and didn't really care to either. But I did see Mirror, Mirror, and although it has some flaws, I really enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was cute, Lily Collins was splendid, and some of the elements were really cool, like the other side of the mirror and the marionettes. Also, the outfits were beautiful.
gaucelm Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Oh yeah, my thoughts exactly! I should have said this.
Add a Comment: