Horrible Difficulty Spikes in games you played?

We all came across Difficulty Spikes in games and can be done right depending on the game and if its executed right but then there are Difficulty Spikes that are done horribly and can ruin a game for you unless you know its coming and is prepared for it.

But i ask you, What is the worst Difficulty Spike you encountered in a game you played.

Me ... im not so sure really cause i don't really remember anything like that other then RPGs i played but those weren't that bad.
Comments99
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm not sure if this counts or not. This morning, I was playing Skullgirls for the sake of getting some trophies from the game. You get some trophies for playing through each character's story mode. Everything was going fine, since, for the sake of just getting the trophies in the quickest way possible, I was playing on Sleepwalk difficulty, the easiest difficulty the game has to offer. And then I got to Fukua's story mode. Every fight went fine........until the final fight against Filia. She kicked my *** to the curve sideways six times in a row. I went online to find answers. Why was she so punishing on the easiest difficulty in the game? Apparently, this one fight's difficulty is fixed. Even if you're playing on Sleepwalk, during this one fight, Filia's difficulty is on Nightmare, the hardest difficulty the game has to offer. I'm not sure if that's true, but it sure seems like it. Guess that's a silver trophy I'm not getting. Tantrum 
Putting aside fighting and rpg games, a couple from the top of my head..

Dark Souls 2 
GTA 3 & Vice City - Mission npcs were savage.
Diddy Kong racing
 @$# every boss in this game.
Donkey Kong 64 - That Donkey Kong mini game takes the cake.
Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox.
Once you press Start, that's it. You're fucked!
Ornstein & Smough in the first Dark Souls game are a boss I will never get good at no matter how many times I beat them. Said boss is a sudden difficulty spike in the middle of the game while the areas before and after are a bit more tolerable. 
Undertale

And I don't think I need to explain where.
Grand Theft Auto 3 definitely. The first third of the game is ridiculously easy, the second third felt balanced enough but the last third of the game just becomes an insane mess.
It doesn't help that the lock on system is really crappy, even for it's time.
By all means I'm not calling it a bad game, it more than earned it's good reputation, but the high difficulty and terrible lock on system easily are it's worst fortune.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas has it's fair share of frustrating moments, as well as almost every single Tony Hawks game.

Also want to throw Kingdom Hearts in here as well. The game itself is fine but the optional boss fights are absolutely insane. If you even stumble across them unprepared you won't last a single minute.
Even if you rank Sora up to level 99 you still need a stratagy guide right in front of you to even stand a chance! God damn!
"Also want to throw Kingdom Hearts in here as well. The game itself is fine but the optional boss fights are absolutely insane. If you even stumble across them unprepared you won't last a single minute."

In other words; SEPHIROTH.
Valkarie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. Tutorial starts of pretty easy and first mission is a breeze. After that, it's hell. Really challenging fun hell, but hell nonetheless. I beat it 3 times, so I don't know what that says about myself.
That and Earthbounds Fourside boss can go suck it. The enemies leading up to him deal so much damage, it feels like I have to grind really hard just to see him. Then you see him and it feels like he has never ending health.
Psh, the second and third playthroughs are much much easier because you get to keep all sorts of late-game equipment and absolutely BREAK the first couple minutes. Makes it way easier to beat Garm on the A route. (Especially since the characters you get on the "A" route are kinda... iffy and you'll pretty much be using Natalia, the bloody Twins, or Darius the entire game.) 
Actually, I beat it on 3 separate saves because I heard an extra dungeon appeared if you got all three endings. It didn't show up...
You have to do it all on one save. 
Oh. Wish I knew that before I beat it 3 separate times....
Yeah, and when you do it on the one-save, you get to carry all your equipment and the abilities from sacrificing people over so it becomes easier. Pretty much the recommended way to get the "A" ending. 
Ah. That makes much more sense.
View all replies
Bangai-O Spirits

You first go through this hilarious self-deprecating tutorial, with all these stages that're super easy and make you feel like you're invincible... like you could take on the world! Then you reach the last tutorial stage, the first real taste of what this game is really like... and get your ass handed to you REPEATEDLY.

Provided you actually get through the last tutorial, you start playing the normal stages and HO...LY... HELL...

Turns out the entire game is just one HUGE difficulty spike, hellbent on punishing you for even THINKING you had a chance.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. No discussion about it.
Jak II has a crap ton of difficulty spikes all over the place. If you had expected a normal "not too hard, not too easy" mission based game with GTA-ish free roaming, then have fun getting curb stomped through the ground and all the way to Chinatown. :stare:
"tank"

"sewer"

"slums"

These words will trigger anyone that played Jak II.
Mother(Earthbound Zero)
Rise of the Tomb Raider had a nasty habit of letting you run be sandboxy and stealth stuff like crazy and then they would throw you in a bathroom stall with 4-20 enemies rate you 5 star most wanted, lock the door behind you and say "good luck"

Call of Duty World at War: on Veteran the beginning and ending are actually really easy for a Veteran run, as soon as you got to the middle and the AA guns the spike was ridiculous, full circle grenade indicators for everybody!
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES) has quite a few... Usually they're levels where minibosses (like the chainsaw maniacs in Level 4) or regular bosses appear (giant baby in Level 8 is an infamous one.) But I consider Level 20, with it's three sandworm bosses to be the most egregious; As you obviously can't hurt em while they're underground and they only come up very briefly to chip away at your health. A monster potions makes them a snap to beat, but monster potions are the very kings of "too awesome to use" in this game.

Fantasy Life (3DS) was a game that was panned for being too easy, it was designed for all players to be able to finish the game, including players who choose non-combat jobs to spec in. Given this, you can very easily tear through the main story by choosing one of the four combat jobs to specialize in. The Devs must've took this criticism to heart when they released the Origin Island DLC, because it's hard as a brick; Monsters can kill level 50+ Legendary Paladins in a few hits (With their hero gear that provides insane boosts to HP, no less!) My advice: "Bring plenty of Life Cures with you to Origin Island."

F-Zero GX (GC) has them all over the goddamn place in Story Mode. The Standard Grand Prix at it's hardest is probably the equivalent to Story Mode at it's easiest! It's the reason why those 9 missions will probably take you a very long time to beat. (BTW: If you aren't near an F-Zero AX arcade machine, the only way to unlock the AX racers is to finish all missions in Story Mode.. On the hardest difficulty!)
Shantae: Half Genie Hero had a section at the end that was a real pain in the ass, a tight corridor with spikes on the top and bottom that instantly send you back to the last checkpoint if you scrape em. Took me about 10-20 tries before realizing I could use the monkey form's special power to easily go through the section, but still, imagine trying to do that 10-20 times with the Harpy transformation.
I haven't played the game but i could imagine that being hard if you choose to not use the monkey form.
Dragon's Dogma, on top of the initial difficulty wall in the beginning (if it is your first time playing it, don't turn on hard mode even if you love Dark Souls,) there is a painful difficulty spike for when you finally confront the dragon. And how you define your party can make it even worse. (Do note that I'm strictly referring to your first time through and without a guide. If it is your second time playing Dragon's Dogma, even when back to a low level, it isn't so bad.)

I've noticed for sim racers that super cars tend to be a pain in the rear. With sport cars, they are so underpowered for their handling that so long as you know what you are doing you can take turns pretty hard. Then hypercars go so fast but tend to be actually designed to go that fast that it isn't much of a problem (so long as you are on an actual race track and not some back road that won't let you go all that fast.) But for some reason, supercars seem to be too powerful for themselves, making them a pain in the rear to drive, save a few like the GT-R and Corvette.