Thoughts on Fire Emblem Fates losing the skinship feature in the west.

A few days ago, Kotaku reported this with a link attached to a blog post:
nintendoeverything.com/fire-em…

The Japanese version of the game features skinship with the characters.
What are your thoughts on this? Are you sad they're removing this for the western release? Would you concider importing the Japanese version?

---------------

Edit: rumours are spread that Kotaku might've made this all up.
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I call it a massive improvement.
I can't help but wonder why the Japanese developers thought this was a good idea for what is otherwise a strong rpg franchise.

Were the sales so bad for other recent games that they have to pander to hardcore otakus? I'm not a fan of censorship but this is a move I support for western release.

The feature just detracts from the seriousness of the plot and the strong gameplay we in the West have come to love.
Why would I pet second rate waifus when I could just pet them in project diva?
That's a first! How?
I wish i had a playstation *cries*
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMCxEJ…

one of the game modes lets you pat them on the head and play rock paper scissors and decorate their room. It makes dreams into reality.
aww so cool! I want a playstation now ;w;
I'm skipping Fates in its entirety for a plethora of reasons, but if this is true, I'll be very disappointed in Intelligent Systems and Nintendo.

Of course, I wouldn't use it even if it was implemented in the West, so I don't know wby I'm complaining. I guess it's the matter of principle.
If it's gone, then I'm glad it's gone. I'm not glad it's gone because I'm a prude or anything; I'm glad it's gone because I want to take FE seriously. Things like skin ship I think mess up the tone of the game. It's weird to pet someone's face after a gruesome war. If this game were a parody or some visual novel esque game, then I wouldn't have had a problem with this feature.

It may have been an optional feature, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it was still an unnecessary feature; More time could've been spent on other things I think. I know that people are bummed over the fact that this feature may be gone, and I'm sorry that ruined the game for you. However, I came to play FE for the medieval setting and plot. I like fanservice every now and then, but FE I think shouldn't have stuff like that in their games; it has nothing to do with the fact that FE is Nintendo and has to keep a "family image". It has more to do with having a consistent tone in FE.

On the other hand, if it's not gone then I'll get over it. After all, it's such a small feature that I can just pretend it doesn't exist and leave it at that. :T
I agree with your sentiment. The fact that they took the time to program it before removing it again is kind of a kick in the balls, though. Then again, I jumped ship after the trainwreck that was Awakening.
 I think that's why they shouldn't even bother with it next game. The feature has caused controversy when it was in the game, and when it was out. Personally, I don't think Awakening esque games are that bad; my only problem with the Awakening style games is that they're more anime in their approach; the plot and characters are less serious, and the characters especially are more so based off of tropes and gags. 
Personally, I thought the gameplay was too basic compared to the older games, and the 3D models were atrocious, to say the least. It was also annoyingly easy on Hard.
Yeaaah I missed the rescue option, and the maps aren't nearly as engaging. I actually do like the art direction though; the game is filled with well-animated cutscenes, dynamic character animations, and voice acting which are things that most of the past games lacked. I think that along with the user-friendly interface and generous difficulty is what made this game so popular. Oh yeah, don't forget the dating sim mechanic; I think that played a huge part as well. 
The Double-Up or whatever it's called feature seemed like a terrible way to make Rescues benefit the player rather than penalize the player for having to correct foolish moves.

The art direction was great, but the 3D models were atrocious compared to Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I would even have preferred the awkward sprites used in Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow. That said, the voice acting was great (I listened to the Japanese version, naturally), but it lacked a certain something that I felt back when I played Path of Radiance.

The user-friendly interface was nice, but I honestly missed being able to use the touchpad to control the map like I could in Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow.

The dating sim mechanic wasn't the first time it was implemented, but it was definitely the first time it was that prominent. I didn't really care for it or the new bland Support system. Having set Stat-Ups for supports just wasn't as interesting as having to match characters' affinities with their strengths and weaknesses.
Yeaaah I just thought the Rescue option was a bit more interesting I suppose. No clue why; I just liked the option more. 

I dunno; I liked the models in Awakening more than the ones in PoR/RD, mainly because they were more fast-paced and cartoony. They almost felt like the GBA sprites and I really liked those. I don't like the sprites in FE11/FE12 at all; the art direction for that game in general is bleh. PoR's voice acting isn't nearly as good as Awakening's either, but I suppose it's all a matter of preference. 

Never played FE11/FE12, so I can't relate. :icondontunderstandplz:

Really? I think it was. Supports and relationships were always apart of FE, yes, but the dating sim aspect didn't fully come into play until Awakening. Unlike the past games, your characters had limited support options, and characters did not always fall in love whenever their supports were maxed. That, and none of the games had a playable avatar character who had the option to interact or marry another character. I haven't played a lot of Awakening yet, but I do like the support system more in the sense that it's faster. 
View all replies
Very interesting to hear a different opinion about all this, thank you for sharing your insight!
A bit disappointing (If it's true), that the skinship/ Army amie is gone. I was preparing my brain to accept/ be open to any weird concepts it may have, since I was planning to use it on afew of the characters.  I heard it boosts the stats of the characters, makes it easier to S-rank them.
Yeah, that's probably the main reason why i'm dissapointed if it's true i guess.
It wouldn't take away the fun with the storyline, but i still think it's kind of unfair the Japanese will get stuff that we don't
Agree with you there, Daydream.
Nichegamer: nichegamer.com/2016/02/despite…

I found some news, skinship/ army amie is kinda there. I have mix reactions about this.
Same actually...
I told my cousins about army amie being slightly censored, explaining that the Japanese version has touching and petting features, they were squicked out a bit, saying "We don't touch/caress/pet our family, friends, and relatives like that in real life. Why should we do that in a game?" They have a slight point though.

Unrelated, I got mad at another issue when this was going on, DaydreamOtaku. It was some game website has an article lying that Nintendo's Italian branch removed/ censored the same sex marriage parts of FE: Fates, Dualshockers released an article saying don't believe the other site: www.dualshockers.com/2016/01/2…
Because i've recieved questions on the matter, here's the awnser:
Skinship is the ability to touch or pet your characters ingame.
Here is a video that serves as demonstration:
youtu.be/OfwVwJP25Bk