The most underrated game EVER.

I'm basically pulling a quasi-reverse soarxisscared, and saying that there are some videogames out there which are REALLY under appreciated out there. (Donkey Kong 64 is awesome, BTW.). I won't bring up any Sonic game examples, seeing as how those games have quite the broken bases. That being said:

SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie: The Game. You know how many movie based games are out there that suck really badly? This game isn't like that, fortunately. It's loads of fun with a good soundtrack, it follows the movie very closely (with a few lampshading scenes), and it's plenty of fun to upgrade SpongeBob and Patrick as you go on. I dunno, I think everyone should play the game to see how a licensed game SHOULD be made.

Donkey Kong Land. Anybody remember the Gameboy era? You know, with Super Mario Land, Tetris, and Pokemon Red & Blue? Those were interesting days. Back when Donkey Kong Country was getting flack for just being all graphics and not much else with gameplay (which is bull, considering the ingenious level designs), Rare made this trilogy of games, with Donkey Kong Land especially proving that even without the amazing colors, the level designs still kicked ass. However, while everyone talks about Donkey Kong Country all the time now, no one ever really mentions THESE games, this one in particular. With good level design, good graphics for Gameboy standards, and some really catchy tunes, I can't imagine why.

Enough on those games, though. Tell me in the comments below what YOU think the most underrated game ever is.
Comments272
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Hard Truck Apocalypse series. HTA is my all-time favorite game. Manning a behemoth truck mounted with guns that make a tank's head pop, all while driving around in a post-apocalyptic Earth, Mad Max style? Sign me up for the madness!
Unfortunately, the game didn't get promoted outside of its country of origin (Russia), so it never got a big audience. How I came across this awesome game, I have no idea. And the game was made almost 10 years ago! Of course, the game shares its fair share of flaws... The AI could use some work (not bad, but average, nothing too special), and the dialogues could be revised (some parts suffer, but the original game was in Russian). But if it got remastered with more vehicles, guns and better graphics, as well as a good promo campaign, this game would knock COD, Battlefield and all that generic fps' into oblivion.
I'll be sure to look into this series, then.
OK then. But mind you, the game is old; like a said, it was made over a decade ago. It might not even run on your computer...Waaaah! 
Well, only one way to find out.
Alpha protocol. Crappy graphics and gameplay was dated. But I liked the RPG elements. And being it only the spy RPG I dig it. There are tons of choices to make and consequences based on your decisions. And they actually have an true impact at the end.
Is that right?
I might have to check it out then.
Cool its dirt cheap which is good. Just give it a chance you might be suprised
Well alright then.
Legacy of Kain series.
I heard of this series. What's it about?
I'm very bad at explaining things ^^; and english is not my national language...
So I suggest you check it from wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_o…
Dragon View

Demon's Crest

Black Sigil

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon(aka is a remake of Fire Emblem 1)

Dragon Warrior 7

FF 5(yes, there's a FF game, that's so underrated, It's not funny)

Hoshigami

to name a few prime examples. If you want details on them, just ask, and I'll be happy to go into detail about these masterpieces.
I honestly think all the Final Fantasy games before 7 are really damn underrated.
I mean I love FFVII, but I agree with everyone that it overshadowed the living hell out of everything JRPG wise. :P
I actually OWN Shadow Dragon.  It's a fun game, and I personally really like it.  Marth is a pretty good character.  When I talked to a Gamestop worker about it, he said that people either really like the game, or don't care about it.
Yea, It's pretty damn good. When people complain/bash it, I am always like, WTF were you expecting, It's a remake of the first game. Have you even played the original game? Well I have, and It's so much better executed then the original game. The original game handled the story telling so poorly, you could barely tell that there's an actual story, plus things like the arena's was a nice bonus to add.

Also while a lot of NES/Famicon games had a great color pallet, Fire Emblem 1 was not one of those game, which Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon improves a million fold.

Then they become speechless lol, and then say I don't know, I just expected it to be better I guess.
Personally, I HAVEN'T played the original game, so this is a good way of getting the original to me.
Yea that's cool too, afterall the original was never released outside of Japan, and as far as I know, this is the first time it was remade/rereleased.

PS. Yea I really like Marth as well, and Caeda is probally my favorite character in the series(She's squishi as hell, but I like her so much, I'm always powering her up, until she is not so squishi, one time I power leveled her so much, she became virtually invisible, needless to say, that took forever, but hey)
My favorite character would actually have to be Ephriam from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
Wesnoth...? Its a pixelated strategy based game where you can recruit units and then go to war against either your friends or AI In either an campaign with an entire plot, or just a single randomized scenario. Its got a fair share of great music, enjoyable scenarios as well as quite a downloadable campaigns. Its entirely free, easy to program and surprisingly fun to play, even though the concept is incredibly simple. It is an old game, and most people dont know about it, and the whole thing is pretty much usermade by different people...
I'll be sure to keep Wesnoth in mind.
A title that pops into my mind right away is 'Darkest of Days.' It is a first-person-shooter game for the PC and Xbox 360. It is technically flawed, almost to the point of being game-breakingly bad for some people, but its original quality is so powerful that it glows over its lack of polish. It is a very unique game and, I think, it could have gotten a re-release or possibly a sequel if reviewers were kinder to it. It definitely had the potential to become a cult title (in the likes of the Stalker series).

It is a game that combines fps mechanics, large, open-scale battles with tons of people onscreen, and time-travel. Good fun. Good concept. Very little praise for either.
I might check it out, then.