Tank controls vs foward/backward movemoent only

Tank controls have become a standard in games. However some games like RE didn't and legend of zelda didn't start with them.

This topic is to discuss the finer points of these two decent but very different methods of control and what games might be better having them.

we will also discuss when these controls scheme are at their worst.
Comments21
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Not sure if trolling or just legitimately this stupid. :lock:
"However some games like RE didn't and legend of zelda didn't start with them."

Dude, have you PLAYED Resident Evil? It's notorious for having tank controls from the very beginning.
actually RE4 didn't have them it wasbackward forward movement only. I feel like backward forward movement is good for the horror genre adds to the helpless feeling.
Tank Controls ARE Backward/Forward movement only. RE4 just made them feel more welcome and intuitive with it's "over the shoulder" perspective.
really cuz tank control should refer more to like what metroid prime and most fps game do. If this is the case what's the name for the stand fps/tps controls
TV Tropes describe tank controls as a fifth gen thing.
Sylandro probe from Star Control 2 should have have tank controls.

Every ship in the game had tank controls. Forward to thrust, left to turn left, right to turn right.

The sylandro probe is unique. Forward to reverse direction, left to turn left, right to turn right. If you held the stick forward, you just wiggle in place. What made it worse was the sylandro graphics. Most other games have different graphics depending on where you're facing. If you're facing left, the graphics is the character/ship facing left. If you're facing right, the graphics is the character/ship facing right. The sylandro probe doesn't have different graphics. Up, down, left, right, they're all the same graphics.
Tank controls refer to being able to move in any direction on a dime or close to it  without needing to turn though.
That doesn't sound like tank controls.

www.giantbomb.com/tank-control…

haracter movement in games utilizing tank controls is based on using the up direction on the Analog Stick or D-Pad to move the character forward. Turning is controlled using the left and right directions and the down direction moves the character backwards

That's clearly not "any direction on a dime". That's stick up to go forward, left right to turn, stick down to move backward. You MOST DEFINITELY need to turn.
funny cuz for me up and down doing forward and backwards while left and right turn are vehicle controls while tank controls is what most fps/tps games use for standard movement nowadays.
Tank controls have become a standard in games.

They have? I can't remember the last time I played a game that used tank controls.
Who ever thought tank controls was ever a good idea?
Same guys who made RE and thought up the "brilliant" idea of not being able to move and shoot in a game with guns. :lol:
I think horror games can somewhat justify using tank controls because they're that bad. It feels a little scarier when you have that struggle. But that still means tank controls are bad. And guns don't help a game feel scary.
True true. But if that's the case, then I dunno what's worse...

1. A major corporation can excuse a game's crippled controls and horrid camera as "adding to the scare factor" or

2. People eat it up and herald that game as a classic despite glaring flaws that would be the "kiss of death" in other games.

Granted, it's happened once before (Looking at YOU, Classicvania,) but it still kind of sucks to me. :(
Or we ignore tank controls because they aren't a standard anymore and were from the days when you didn't even have analogue sticks yet.
Isn't tank controls the thing like where you can move in any given direction at any given time, like with any tank you play.
No, tank controls as the name implies is a clunky two step movement system. Rotate, then move.
the name is misleading. Most "modern tank controls" have you push in a direction and the tank turns in that direction and without any additional need to move the analog stick go in the direction you're pushing it.