There was a survey on why people buy consoles, and doesn't it speak volumes?

There was a survey on why people bought each console this gen.

Here's a short podcast listing all the details: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma5BnE…

I wish I could say I'm surprised of the outcome, but come on it was so predictable, anyone knowledgeable about the gaming community must have seen these results coming a million miles away.

Doesn't this say it all?

I miss the days, where only game companies were making consoles(well consoles anyone gave a crap about anyway).
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
For those who don't want to watch:

"Top Factors Driving 8th Generation Console Purchase By Platform"
"Owners Aged 13+ (%)"

PS4:
1. Better Resolution
2. Blue-ray Player
3. Game Library
4. Faster Processing Power
5. What Family Wants

XBO:
1. Brand
2. Innovative Features
3. Faster Processing Power
4. Exclusive Games/Content
5. Fun-Factor

Wii U:
1. Fun-Factor
2. Better for Kids
3. Price/Value
4. Backwards Compatibility
5. Exclusive Games/Content

Now for my personal thought. First, I want to knock down the podcasts argument about the XBO and how people buy it because they are "Xbox guys." This is the case with all consoles. But an Xbox generally has the ability to argue that their online services are better than their competitors (and I haven't seen much of anything to disprove it.)

On the Wii U side, I'm actually surprised how low the exclusive games is as that tends to be the biggest argument I hear for buying a Nintendo console to begin with. Also a tad surprised about "Price/Value" only being on the Wii U. I have a feeling though that it might be a peek at how parents and casual gamers compare consoles: not through graphics but through gameplay and final price tag.

As for the PS4, LOL Game Library. Okay, so I should LOL the exclusive games for XBO as well. Honestly, the two consoles have not impressed me with their current libraries and I didn't see that changing after this year's E3.

Otherwise, this isn't all that informative. What I would like to know is how many casual and hardcore players make up each consoles' player base and what games are typically selling for each.
Yea I agree with your first point, but for some reason, people picked the brand option, instead of online multiplayer option or however it was called.

Yea I find this weird too, since It's nothing new, that Nintendo gets so many exclusives, and we all know that there are plenty of people who would buy a Nintendo console just for the new Smash Brothers or Zelda game on X console. There's lots of other exclusives as well(much better exclusives pretty much all the damn time), I'm just pointing it out, that there are plenty of people who would buy such, just for 1-2 games.

Personally I think the exact order for the wii U should've been more along the lines of:

1 Fun Factor
2 Exclusive games/content
3 BC
4 Price/Value
5 Better for kids

Yea, but with the PS4, I'm willing to give the PS4 the benefit of the doubt, that they bought it, while thinking about the future. Lets be real, before this gen even started, it was obvious the Wii U, and the PS4 will be getting all the good games(and, this E3 we just had, makes that prediction true)

However lol at XBOX buyers talking about eclusives, but we all know what Excusive means on a XBOX system, Halo. It's rather sad when you think about it, basically a huge amount of people bought XBOX One, just to play the next iteration of Halo.

Well considering It's a survey about gaming, I wouldn't be shocked if pretty much all of them were hardcore(or atleast consider them selves hardcore. I seriously wouldn't consider people who buy consoles based on superficial specs or for a blu-ray player, a hardcore gamer, nor would I consider the people buying a console for basically one game, a hardcore gamer, but whatever), plus their kids.

However I would like to know, how this survey pas sent out in general. Was it sent to Gamestops for them to give out(no one in their right mind, still shops at GS), was it just on one of those poll/survey sites, do they have their own website where this was held, ect.

I didn't even know about this survey my self, until seeing that podcast, so yea have no idea how it was carried out.
Who cares? Like, what difference does it make?
None, It's just the very sad truth.