Is there a game that fits these requirements?

The game is:
- Like a space shooter, specifically like one of those scrolling ones.
- Has multiple different levels or stages.
- Between each level is a shop. To upgrade weapons, tools and such; including a variety of weapons, tools and/or upgrades.

Optionally:
- The levels branch into different paths which may or may not lead to the same final level or join together at some point.
- Each shop is different from the last.
- Has multiple modes, such as difficulty settings.

I'd like it if people could list two.
:3 
Comments129
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
PlanetSide 2 maybe?
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll have a look into PlanetSide 2 sometime.
:3 
Interesting game. :3
You can get Descent 1 & 2 together from GoG for about six bucks.

Not what you're asking for. Not giving a shit. They're awesome as fuck. You should play them.
I'll look at them.
Play Spyro 2. You'll have more fun.
I have played Spyro-2 to death in my childhood, at this point, most games of Spyro would be too easy.

Though, I do like the graphics style and I do like Spyro's setting... But it's not the game I'm looking for.
Battlefront 2. DONE. 
Isn't that an FPS?.. I usually get bored of those games, even if they require me to manage multiple weapons and tools.
3rd Person, you can change it to FPS. 
I still prefer space shooters rather than FPS and FPS-like games.
It IS a Star Wars themed shooter, they have one mode where it's all Jedi and Sith ONLY. 
Space shooters are not space themed shooters, they're shooters in which you move through a mostly open space with auto-scrolling and shoot forward, as if you play as a ship or have almost identical functions.
Dead Space then. Play the first one. 
View all replies
Perhaps try out The Guardian Legend

It's a hybrid between a Action Adventure game, and a bad ass space shooter. The Adventure part has you going around trying to find gate keys, and upgrades(the upgrades work for both the char in adventure mode, and your ship in the space shooter mode), and each of these gate keys give you access to move adventure ares, as well as stages for the space shooter aspect.

It's true hybrid, infact I even rate it as the best hybrid ever made, It's that great.

It scrolls up opposed to being a side scroller., but otherwise It's pretty damn close to what you want
The direction of scrolling doesn't matter, as long as it scrolls with a space shooter format.

But this sounds very good.
Yea, I didn't think it mattered, well anyway yea, the space shooter half of the game, scrolls, and you'll love it(I consider the space shooter aspect/half of the game, to be pretty much the best space shooter ever. I even like it more then Gradius, It's that awesome).

Also even though only half the game is devoted to the space shooter format, don't let that push you away, because even so, It's a very big game, and there's more space shooter stages, then any game that is only a space shooter game(a lot more, and each stage is like the size of a Gradius stage too, so It's not like a second thought either).
Does it surpass Tyrian-2000 in its space shooter aspects and the aspects I have listed here?
I have never played that, but after checking out a video, the shooter aspect is very similar, but looks like yea, Guadian Legend is slightly better. I don't know how many stages are in that game, but the odds are there's at very least there's double that amount of stages in Guardian Legend(as far as I'm aware, there's more stages in Guardian Legend, then any other shooter ever made(has like 21 stages, with each stage having a boss)

It doesn't have a difficulty setting, parse, but omg I didn't know about this, evidently there's a code, that puts you in arcade mode, which makes you just do the shooting stages(one right after the other, skipping the adventure aspect altogether), and I can assure you, this will make the shooting stages much harder(since you don't have access to the shops, and all the extra upgrades just laying around, you just get the single upgrade for beating a stage it seems like, plus the standard bullet/energy upgrades ofcourse. Each stage  has its own rewards, so can't really get too specific with that) So basically, you can say there's two modes, normal, and hard(normal is the better game ofcourse, and It's far from being easy, trust me, but if you just want a awesome straightup shooter, by all means, feel fre to use the TGL PW to enter arcade mode.

There's no branching paths though(however with a whopping 21 stages, who cares lol, It's friggen awesome, you wont be getting bored any time soon, that's for sure)

Also it looks like there's a hell of a lot more ship upgrades in Guardian Legend, plus each upgrade/weapon its self, can be leveled up, by getting more of that specific upgrade.
Tyrian 2000 has 5 chapters, which contain several levels each, at least 5 levels, not counting secret levels or alternate routes, and some chapters are really long, such as chapter 4... Also not counting how some levels have version A and version B, depending on which way you choose to approach your destination.

Then there are the several secret levels and secret alternate routes, they're absolutely everywhere and some even provide you with shops that provide rare weapons since every single shop is different from the last.

I suggest playing through tyrian 2000 and its many modes, hidden modes, countless weapons and secrets that add to its replay value, before deciding that something surpasses tyrian 2000.

But sure, I'll look into guardian legend while you look into tyrian 2000.
Lol I'm reading the Wikipedia entry for that game, and It's I'm positive It's a Guardian Legend clone, atleast as far as the shooting aspect goes(I had no idea such existed, I've been looking for such, for many years now, but never found anything like guardian Legend), seriously, the gameplay of the shooter aspects, and how they basically play out, is pretty damn identical, so It's a no brainer, if someone likes either of these two games, they'll like the other.
View all replies
Whoops, forgot to mention, all the shops there are, are different, and can only be used once(Each shop will have a mixture of 3 different upgrades, you get to buy only one upgrade from each shop, so there's some strategy involved with such)

Wow, that's a pretty big game then, if you only count the shooting stages, and the the adventures areas as well, sounds like that game may be a bit bigger then Guardian Legend, maybe not a lot bigger, but noticeably so.

Is there a remake of that game, I can DL from somewhere, because it being a 1995 PC game, pretty much means it wont work on any modern PCs.

Also it being a PC game, brings up a question, do you have to use a keyboard or can you key the controls, to a controller?
View all replies
My favorite 2-D scrolling shooter is R-Type Final, but you might be a bit disappointed by the 'shop'. All you do is unlock different ships. There ARE 100 different ships though, and IIRC they're customizable to a point.
I really like the story and the branching paths it has. It's a PS2 game, I don't know if that's a deal-breaker.

I have to list 2? Most of the other ones I play are so old-school they don't have anything like a shop. So Ikaruga, I guess.

I hope I'm even talking about the right genre.