Someone explain Final Fantasy Type-0 to me

I bought it yesterday. And within seconds of starting a game I was utterly and hopelessly confused. In the story, lore, characters, and even the gameplay, I have no idea what's going on. What the hell is a "L'Cie"? I thought that Final Fantasy games were stand-alone stories, but "L'Cie"'s are from FF13, were they not? They waste a cutscene explaining the existence of and metaphysics behind a save point but not anything important like a "L'Cie"? Who am I even playing as? Seriously, who is Ace? Is he even the main character? Is there a main character? Why does everything have such hard to pronounce names? Why do people forget people who die, I didn't know they were being literal with that, what is the point of that?!?! You can take on optional timed objectives during a mission but if you fail at them you die!? Why? Who is killing you? I just drop dead because I failed to do a thing within 30 seconds that I didn't even know what it was because they called it some silly made-up name that they didn't explain. Even going through the "Crystarium" (that's not a frecking word! Just call it a library!) and reading every entry it doesn't tell me anything useful. GAAAHHH! Also the camera control sucks.

Am I dumb or is this game supposed to be this needlessly convoluted? Please don't tell me it's one of those games that start to make sense after you've played it for about 40 hours.
Comments65
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
FFXIII, FXV (previously known as FF versus XIII), and Type-0 are all based on the Fabula Nova Crystallis series of FF games. This means that there are similar concepts like L'Cie and stuff that are shared in the others, though I'm not sure if XV is included anymore. I doubt there will be anymore relations between the games besides things like this so I wouldn't worry to much about it and just think of it as a stand alone with the same kind of names like how every Cid in every FF games is different.
Play Kingdom Hearts instead. I promise you, it is much less complex.
I'm glad I read this thread after I played the game. Just another negative nancy who likes to waste money complaining about games they've got.
Welcome to modern day Final Fantasy, where the franchise is nothing but pretentious animu garbage circa FFX.
Don't worry, I think a lot of people were just as confused as you are now. I played the PSP version of the game so I can say a bit about what I learned. I'll explain this the best I can... :XD:

The Fabula Nova Crystallis series consists of the XIII trilogy, Type-0 and XV - just think of them being in the same kind of universe. Crystals play a huge part in the story, it's like the people's source of something; Magic protects the citizens from trouble, etc.

There is no main character in the Type-0, I believe, they all have almost the same amount of screen time and importance. Ace is just a "representative" since his name means the first in a deck of cards, which the members of Class Zero are named after. Machina and Rem are transferees from a different class and they play an important role too but nothing too significant to dub them the protagonists.

Seriously, the story almost doesn't make any sense because they only want to highlight the war theme and gameplay. Back when I played this game, I was hoping for more bonding moments or side stories just to learn more about the characters and the world but nada!

To anyone who has finished the game, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I'd like to know your thoughts as well! :>
Did you get the golden ending?

This is like Valkyrie Profile and tricks you. 
Uhh...golden ending?? :XD: The ending I got was the one if you choose to remain human and do Cid's trials.

If you're talking about the alternate world thing, that special scene is not an ending but a
special movie you unlock after beating the game twice - from what I read!!
I thought it was an ending because you break the time loop. 
:highfive: I also played the PSP version :D

You get to know a bit about the class through the events.
btw have you ever gotten your own airship? The one YOU fly it yourself?
If you mean to fly the airship with controls then...no? I only got the auto-piloted one
where you choose a location and it automatically takes you there. :o

There wasn't much walkthroughs and people I could ask about during that time.
I'm planning to play it again (PSP tho) if people make walkthroughs XD
Ah, I see...I've heard of an special airship where you fly it yourself.
I want it, cos the auto-pilot one does not go on this desert area....and I've tried going there on chocobo, but large mountains block the way. Soo...the bottom left of the map is not accessible

I'm just secret training atm....until I find out how to get the airship (cos I'm on ch7 atm, and I heard people mentioning that you get the ship on ch7) - This is my third playthrough :D
Some of my characters I've leveled up to 90

I loved the battle with Gilgamesh, so easy and fun :D
I battled him on the big bridge, and against Machina L'Cie

There is a optional battle where Gilgamesh has more arms, but I don't know how to unlock it :shrug:

The behemoth cave was challenging
W-wow... :O I didn't do all that crazy stuff, haha! I only played the game for the story
and partly because I was too lazy to grind (it became a chore to me eventually)
'cuz the only character I ever liked using was Ace. :">

If I ever get my hands on Type-0 HD or replay the PSP ver. I'd do all the quests with a walkthrough XD

Wait, third playthrough?! Did you get a second special movie then?
Level grinding is a chore...which is why I secret train.

The characters I like using are: Ace, Queen, Rem, Machina, Sice, Seven, Jack, Eight

Eight is awesome :D he's quick and has a healing ability that does not consume MP or AG

Anyway, in the second playthrough whenever class0 goes on a mission you can choose a different path. (and it's a lot easier)

Eg. When Machina just goes off somewhere during the story. In the 2nd playthrough you have the choice of following him and finding out what he was doing during the time he wasn't with class 0.
- So basically you get more info on the story...and some character stuff
- and different cutscenes

there was this one part during the second playthrough, where you follow Ace and some other members,
and you help out these guys, and at the end, I think one of the guys commented that Ace has a pretty face (or something..I forgot what he said)
and Ace just glares at him LOL

You have completed the game once right? (wondering, cos I don't want to give you spoilers)
Is secret training more effective in levelling up?

OMG I need to see those scenes!! LOL with the Ace one, I always thought he was pretty too XD

Yeah I completed the game once, and now all these Type-0 HD ads are making me play it again..!!
View all replies
So if I'm understanding correctly, FF13, Type-0, and FF15 were supposed to be three games that either took place in the same world or were all part of one big story. But development didn't work out that way. FF13 got two direct sequels while Type-0 and FF15 (formally known as FF13-Agito and FF13-Versus) got reconfigured into their own things. And THAT'S why Type-0's plot is a convoluted mess. Because it is a rehash of what was supposed to be a cohesive whole with two other games. Geez, I don't want to think about what kind of incomprehensible plot FF15's gonna have.

Sigh, this makes me long for the good old days of Final Fantasy. Where each game was it's own story set in its own world with only a few superficial elements shared between them. Now it's all bogged down with direct sequels, prequels, sequels to prequels, MMO's, sequels taking place in the same universe as spin-offs, trilogies that were torn down and reconfigured into not trilogies with one of the would-be trilogy games getting a trilogy. GAAAH! It makes me want to curl up into a fetal position and wish for Sakaguchi and Uematsu to come back and fix this mess.
The relation of these games is that they all have the same mythology and crystals and stuff, but I don't think they're related as in the story or same planet taking place in different timelines, which is why they renamed the titles. And with the new engine XV got, it's just right they changed the title from versus XIII. They probably just injected the number XIII to the games with the crystals because they didn't realize back then they should just compile them into a sub-series.

Haha, you're right. My favorite FF title is still VII, mainly because of the solid storyline but I'd be lying if I said I don't like the new concepts the new FF games are getting. :XD: XIII's concept was impressive as heck, but overall the story seemed kinda lacking...
Am I the only one who sees the final fantasy fans starting to end up like sonic the hedgehog fans? Just keep buying the progressively shittier games hoping that "this time" it'll be as good as they remember.
Type-0 is pretty highly praised in Japan though. I imo Type-0 isn't shitty at all, nor is FF13... Can't say the same about 13-2 and LR though. They're okay, but have more bad aspects than good to me. 
Ah, that explains a whole lot, it takes place in the same short bus universe of 13 and 15.
Short busses are the best busses.
They are? I suppose they have better crumple zones.
They're perfect for snack runs.
And doing doughnuts.