Free Alternative for the Casual WOW Player

Hey everyone,

Just polling the crowds, what is a comparable free alternative to World of Warcraft? I was never a hard core player, but I did enjoy it, I just hated paying for it because I would be in and out depending on how busy work became.

Preferably similar game play mechanics and/or strength in magic user classes. Let me know what are your favorites :) 

MW

P.S. Just as an aside guys, I don't care if you hated WOW/think it's a terrible game. I'm not looking to play WOW again, so those comments don't really pertain to what I am asking. Thanks in advance!

mindwasp.tumblr.com
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I used to play Silkroad back in the days but I cannot really recommend it with good faith, as the game is neither for casual crowd nor is all that enjoyable (insane amount of grind plus the usual amount of botters/goldspammers/hackers)

but yeah, that sums up korean mmorpg games in a nutshell, most of them are absolute dreadful garbage.
If you have a smartphone, you may want to take a look at Legion of Heroes, a quite nice mmorpg for phones (and probably the only good game made by Nexon)
I won't be doing any phone gaming until I can get a better device, but I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!
Lol there are many games a million times better then WoW.

Best MMO ever made all around to date, is RO(Ragnarok Online), here's the official site: www.playragnarok.com/

However if you want a more Quest driven MMO, then play Atlantica Online, here's the site for that: atlantica.nexon.net/

However if you want a game that uses the D&D format like wow, yet is still better then WoW in every single aspect, you can play DDO, Here's the site for that: www.ddo.com/en

You want more info on any of these, just ask, and I'll tell you more about such.
Excellent, thanks for the suggestions ;)
Yep np :)

I'm back to playing RO now(was too busy during the XMAS season, and Jan), if you would like help getting started, I would be glad to help you get started, if you want?
I have actually played RO in the past (long long time ago), so I should be alright, but thank you for the offer!
Huh really, find that hard to believe, if you have played RO, why in the world would you be playing such a generic/bland, and bad game like WoW?
That's a very judgmental thing to say, frankly. I think RO has its charm, as does WOW, for different reasons. I had a lot of friends that played WOW with me and felt a strong sense of community, it had very little to do with the physical game itself, whereas I was mostly alone on RO. Circumstances can create a lot of enjoyment.
I never understood how people can play a game nomatter how bad it is, just because some friends do. I leave bad games, even if friends play such.

As for being alone in RO, you don't have to be, if you don't want, join a guild, there is a huge sense of community in guilds, especially in the WOE guilds, since people in them are always active.
I suggest trying any of these and see if you like em':

Perfect World (aka PWI, or "chinese WoW")

Forsaken World

Aion

Neverwinter

They are free but there might be ones more similar to WoW than these. 
Those are all good places to start, thanks for the input!
No problem, glad I could help :)
Just swing a dead cat and you'll find one.  Don't know if it'll be "free", but you'll find something just like wow.  Why do you think the MMO market is such an uninspiring mess right now?

That reminds me, you never see anyone talking about Elder Scrolls Online anymore.  Man, THAT one sure fizzled out fast!  Talk about a big pile of "I told ya so".  So yeah, you're basically wading in a stagnant pool when it comes to MMOs right now.  Damn shame, really; I feel bad about the Wildstar guys.
While I appreciate your observations of the industry, it's not really all that helpful to me.
I understand that WOW follows a very basic format and the MMO scene is saturated with a lot of the "same," but I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely nothing out there that is enjoyable to play right now, free or not. I'm asking for what others have found that they liked.
In any event, thanks for the input.
Rift is probably the most similar one I can think of. I played it a little during the two-year break I took from WoW and it's a good game.

Guild Wars 2 isn't free, but it doesn't have a monthly subscription, and I really enjoyed it when I was playing it.
Thanks for the input!