Looking for space exploration games.

Hi!
I'm looking for a sci-fi game where the emphasis is on exploring space, making contact with aliens and the such.
Much like the space stage in Spore, only not so damned bland and far viewed.
Strange Adventures in Infinite Space is cool and comes quite close to what I mean, but it and its sequel were designed to be quick short games not meant to be spent more than 40 minutes for a full play-through.

I know there are many good space sims out there, but they aren't exploration games.
I have Kerbal Space Program, and its really cool trying to get something in orbit, or to land on their version of mars, but its not the kind I'm looking for.
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Cannot run it.
16 bit DOS programs don't run on modern day 64 bit computers... :(
Yes they do. You just either need to tinker in DOSbox or run the community edition.
Use DOSBox to run it?  :P
Star Citizen, if your computer can run it. 
Its not out yet, and no, I can't run it *cries*
Anyway, thats a space-sim.
What I'm looking for is something that would portray humanity's first steps among the stars.
No man's sky or Dune
I know about No Man's Sky already.
But Dune only gives me these two etremely old RTS games and one third person shooter.
Hm... Yea, you know what? There seems to be an extreme lack of these out there. If I find a good one, you'll be the first to know
Tell me about it.
People prefer shooting others in the face as opposed to doing something completely unknown.
Yea, it kinda sucks. Ah, well, I hope the new ME is good
I'd first need a computer to run it.
Damn the stuff the devs have already allowed us to see make me drool :XD:
I know xD It looks so good
the Mass Effect trilogy is the best story-driven sci-fi game I've played in my whole life.
it isn't mostly about exploration, mostly storyline but you get to explore some planets and meet several types of aliens along the campaign.
I already spent well over 70 hours on all three games.
Keeping them around to spend some more time on them.
They are so far the best story driven games I've played on the pc ^^
I have no idea how much I've played it to te honest, but I think I've already all 3 games with all character classes and doing all the quest. so it must be a lot...
but honestly, I've never played it being a Rebel, I find it too difficult xd
Yeah, many of the choices associated with "rebel" don't agree with me either.
Except when there's an ass-hole. I gladly chose to shoot somebody's nuts off one time :XD:

If I currently wouldn't be having verification problems with my DLC I'd be playing yet again!
Don't like Minecraft.
Don't like side-scrollers.
Terraria is both, and if Starbound is considered a spiritual successor to Terarria, then no thank you ^^;
No Man's Sky is coming out for the PS4.  It looks to be amazing.  :nod:
Unfortunately don't have money to invest in a PS4, or a computer powerful enough to run it.
But yeah, seen it and it looks amazing so far.
You have a unique request.  I know this sounds silly, but you have Googled this, right?  No results?  Just space sims, but not space exploration games?
Yes I googled it.
I always spend ages on google before asking questions.
The results I've found are yes, mostly space sims (like the X series or Freelancer, both great games though),
recommendations on Spore space stage, a thing called Space Engine (randomly generated galaxies (yes, plural)
filled with nebulae, stars, planets but lacks for any alien encounters or any life at all meaning the most you can do
is simply fly about).

If you've ever played "Strange Adventures in Infinite Space" you'll know what I mean.
Go check it out though, its been made open source and available free quite a long time ago ^^
What about the MMORPG, EVE?

Have you tried asking 4chan's gaming boards?  :P