Hatred.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytdEYa…

There's the trailer. Thoughts?

Personally, I'm all for it. I love the concept. I love the gameplay, from the small amount I can see.
I don't see how this game is any more or less worse than games like GTA, Postal or Manhunt. I also fail to see how this is any worse than this level of violence depicted in other artforms. It's not worse just because you're playing it, as opposed to viewing, reading or hearing it, really.

You'd be quite a nub if you think this is going to lead to X, Y or Z crime in real life. If anything, games like this that act as a release or stress reliever prevent more crimes than they cause, logically.
I'm not going to become a mass murderer from playing a game like this anymore than I'll become a mass baker from playing Cooking Mama.
Games =/= reality. No exceptions.

Thoughts?
Comments49
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Personally, I just think it's amusing. The game itself, even without the controversy surrounding it, looks like something I'd be curious to play, just to see how extreme it would get. For the lulz, I guess. But with the controversy added into the mix, it certainly does make it that much more fun to follow. 

To think, there was a time where Doom generated similar controversy. It's kinda cool in a way. :iconsupertighthugplz:
I ship him with the Postal guy.
I'll only be interested if it lets me kill Children, then it will be super edgy!
Nah, the developers have said that's something they won't do. It crosses a line for them, though they have said they fully support any and all modding people wish to include themselves, from children to recreations of Columbine. It's for the fans to ultimately decide, providing they have the devkit to do so., which costs about $15.
I don't think they've crossed a line then yet, the trailer doesn't seem interesting at all, that dialouge is just so wooden. Plus they must be too afraid to push real boundaries then.
I posted the same topic on Newgrounds...
...different reactions
I won't play hatred but I ship the guy with duke nukem
Do you fangirls have to bring this "shipping" bullshit into everything?
because we're trash
Seriously, for one Duke Nukem isn't gay. Second of all, games about mass murder don't bother me one bit but it disturbs me that upon seeing it your first thought is about yaoi or however it's called.
Christ, you just sound like you came from Tumblr. Urgh.
Game isn't out yet and we manage to find a way to do that. :lol:
Oh this shit again.
It's like postal 2 only without any charm or redeeming values. It was a damn shame that steam allowed it back on green light.
And also by being an entirely different genre of game completely to the point of being unable to draw comparisons beyond 'both games involving killing people'. Sigh.
Not really. No one is forcing anyone to buy it and your day, or life, is affected in precisely zero quantity by having the game on Greenlight or Steam at all.
It's trying way too hard to be edgy, but I like the art style and am legitimately interested. Can't see it being fun more than once or twice though.
Whatever happens, my biggest hope is that Fox News doesn't discover it.
I don't think it is, really. They're catering to a market that definitely exists and I think the voice acting is only as cheesy as it is, given some of the shoddy sentence structure, because English isn't the native language of the developers. It sounds like a cop out but it would make sense. I like the idea of an introductory sequence to the character like what they did, but it definitely could've been written a little more succinctly in a way that flows a little better.
I get what you're saying.
The "edgy" I was referring to though was the "rebelling against games being art" thing. The idea of "making anti-art" always seems real pretentious to me no matter the context.
I suppose if that was there only reason for making it, I'd agree, but it's a concept that definitely has been on the mind of many for a long time and one the devs generally had on the shelf for a while shortly before forming the company. While it's definitely intended to provoke, it isn't the sole aim. It would detract a bit from it being a decent game if that was the only purpose it served, I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I support the devs in this project.
If nothing else, it's an honest game. Face it, killing civilians and destroying stuff in games is fun. It doesn't "become" fun because of some sort outside influence, it's just human nature. Hatred is a game where you can do both, without any stupid attempts to justify it.
The trailer and statements accompanying it were just worded a bit pretentious and cheesy.
Postal beat them to that and the whiny piss babies seem to forgot about that.