Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty much dead

I'm actually getting so fed up with the quality of Sonic games in reason years, it's like Sega have given up on him. Back in the 90's you've got the classics being Sonic 1, 2, 3+Knuckles and CD which are all awesome but after that there were a few spin-off games and then when Sonic Adventure came, Sonic was re-branded with green eyes and the games went from being average to being absolutely terrible like Sonic 06 and then going back to just being average again. Like what the hell happened?

It's a shame, Sonic was my childhood hero and now he's just no cool anymore.

They really should take lessons from Freedom Planet, although I've still not played that but that game looks a lot more faithful to what the Sonic games should be than what Sega are currently doing for Sonic now.

I might as well leave the Sonic fandom. :dead:
Comments173
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Part of me is anticipating whatever Sonic Team has to offer next.

But another part of me wouldn't mind seeing the fanbase die.
Sonic games, I've played nearly all of them and people tend to forget the Ds and hand held titles. I loved rush and the advance games, did not like dark brotherhood. 

As for the so called modern games. 

06 and boom were pieces of shit. 

Unleashed was a good attempt and a good game in my opinion. 

Generations and Colors were amazing!

Heroes wasn't bad, the rider series was okay until free riders

as for the rest of them they were alright to poop. Sonic has been through some bumpy rides but who knows, he might come back. 
I must admit I liked Sonic colours, Sonic Generations and Lost World. That said I still enjoy Sonic 1, 2, S&k. I didn't grow up with the latter and I still recognise them as good games. However, when Sonic Boom hit things got crazy for me. This game is definitely not a good game, but its not a horrible game either, its just painfully average. What SEGA did to the Sonic franchise is really un-repairable. Especially with Sonic Boom and 06. SEGA will probably never go back to the classic style, I wish they would but no, they probably won't because parents by the modern games (Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom) for their children and not knowing how bad the games are.
I have no words for this. Excuse me but I am having a bulimia attack over Lost World.
I think Lost World was so terrible that no one wants to remember it exists.
I think that what the top comment said was so bad that I wouldn't want to return to looking at it again.
What sucks is I had a pretty good idea for a successor to Sonic Adventure 2: www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedge… -- it's a long post so I'll just link the full thing.

I think there's potential for good Sonic games, but the current attitude of the company sure doesn't seem like they /want/ them.
Sega just don't care anymore about story and gameplay, all they care about is making it as fast as they can just for a quick buck. Why do that when you could instead take more time making it while having cleaver people thinking a good story through and in the end get you far more profit?
If SEGA and the "classic fans" want a lighthearted, cheery and generic piece of shit, they could have used Alex Kidd. Very small demographic there for him, and the fans of Alex would not mind to have him be lighthearted.
They might as well bring back Alex Kidd, he's been missing in action since ever Sonic showed up. I say I wouldn't mind a new Alex Kidd game, he needs to come back.
Can you bring that shit up in the SEGA forums? If that is flamebait then those bastards deserve to give each other rabies, if they don't have it already. Sonic could remain to be a good action-based franchise for those that prefer '06 over Lost Mind, and Alex Kidd could be a dump franchise for the Sonic Elitists, the humor, and the generic image to spam all over the place.
The third dimension happened. His mechanics and lay out simply are not structured for 3D gameplay, and the moment they step away from the classic constant loop-da-looping high speed linear nonsense, the faster they can allow Sonic to become the free roaming unbound rebel he is meant to be!
I grew up in Sonic's Gamecube era, and honestly I enjoyed Adventure DX, Adventure 2 Battle, and Heroes quite a bit. Shadow I didn't really like (did anybody?) but then I stopped buying after that. Last year I picked up Generations, my first Sonic game since, and actually thought it was pretty good, like maybe Sonic is getting his footing back, but then Sega ruined everything with Boom. I played the demos and they were just awful.

If they're just going to make games like Boom anymore, than I'm gonna be really ashamed to call myself a Sonic fan. Maybe they'll learn their lesson (but you think they would've learned it from Sonic 06) and try to make something decent. I'll give him one more chance. If next game is crap then I'll be done with him.
SEGA now wants to be a P2W company. You want to parody P2W games with me?
I honestly feel like this is what happens at their meetings lol
Just to throw in my opinion. I guess i sorta agree with quality of the sonic games.
I loved the old ones growing up. Sonic 1, 2, 3 and CD. I also really enjoyed Sonic adventure 1 and 2, as well as sonic generations and lost world.

I'm just gonna pretend sonic 06 never happened though. (what were you thinking sega!) xD
As for others, they were uh not bad. I just think they could have been better when i played them. 

Sonics really been hit and miss i guess... As appealing as new sonic boom looks, i heard it was pretty bad. :| aha
Oh yeah, Sonic Boom is very bad, the TV show is terrible and the game I heard was another train wreak. Sigh, might as well listen to the classic that is, "Sonic Boom". www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBLB4…
My reaction when I first heard it on TV while in an adjacent room: "Guile finally got his own show? That's cool. Title sounds a little 80s-ish, but let's see it."

Level of disappointment less than half a minute later: msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Com…
*wince/facepalm* Oh god...
One of the things that Sega - or whatever company helms the next Sonic game - should heavily invest in is time. Take all the time they need to work out the kinks, the bugs, and make the characters that are a part of the plot (Boom!Shadow) make sense and actually have a purpose instead of just being there due to popular demand. Sega shouldn't have to take a page out of Ubisoft and get their games out by the holidays. Rushing it to "completion" will have it wind up in the same state AC: Unity was in at launch.