Surprisingly Good Games

There has to be games out there that exceeded your expectations, whether they were initially low, high, etc. and turned out surprisingly good. So why not give credit where credit is due? I'll share first (obviously):

Games I bought on a whim and came out very pleased with:
-The Walking Dead Season 1: A surprisingly emotionally gripping story

-Mass Effect 2: best cast of characters I've seen in a game yet that I got heavily invested in.  

-Metal Gear Solid 3: Didn't really dig the 60s spy theme at first, but I was glad to see this game was relatively down to earth; and damnnn was the ending an emotional gutpunch. 

Games that made up for disappointing previous entries:
-Ratchet & Clank Future A Crack in Time: didn't just copy and paste the PS2 trilogy's formula like ToD did. Felt fresh and exciting with everything wildly improved 

-inFAMOUS 2: there was actually color, charm, and fun! Something I had none of in the previous game cause I found it took itself waaaayy too seriously

-Grand Theft Auto V: same as above

-Uncharted 2: A lot less cheap gameplay. And it truly felt like an awesome adventure this time around. 
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
A lot of RPG maker games actually. I didn't know they could squeeze good story and even gameplay in those <300 mb games.  The most notable RPG maker games for me would be The Mad Father, The Witch's House, The Crooked Man, Rust and Blood, The Mirror Lied, and some other excellent games I forgot.
Now-a-days, Various amazing games are available us which are more than our expectations. Some of the games are low responses for the player in their beginning of the launching time and then later it will become better and best reviews.
typing games
- Final Fantasy 12: After the linear as fuck tenth entry it was actually refreshing to get a new title that was full of sidequests and empathized exploration, which is something that was again heavily abandoned with 13.

- Resident Evil Code Veronica: Looking back the voice acting can get really annoying, especially concerning Steve Burnside. However everything else about the game still holds up as an excellent entry into the survival horror genre, back before Capcom had to ruin the series with number 4, which while still a good game still pissed me off somewhat.

- Uncharted Trilogy: Oh thank goodness for characters that I didn't want to punch in the face. Nathan Drake may be somewhat crazy and at times downright stupid but that's why I ended up enjoying him.

- Dark Souls: To me this is perhaps my most favorite game on the PS3 system. Given the severe lack of cutscenes, not knowing where to go, and brutal difficulty, it felt like I was playing an NES game in stunning HD that actually got it right. I can easily say that beating this game was the most rewarding experience I've felt in a very long time.
Although The Walking Dead: Season 1 was really good, I was still iffy that they would make any other good games, but The Wolf Among Us really surpassed my expectations. Great storyline and very entertaining dialogue and cast. Definitely makes you think and second guess what's going on in the story.

I've also heard lots of complaints about the ending of Mass Effect 3 but I quite enjoyed it to be honest. The game played out how it was meant to and it was a very touching ending or at least I thought it to be.

I expected ...something from Prototype but it was pretty disappointing to me story wise. It didn't feel like a story worth an entire game. Not much mystery or anything to the game and it felt like it was mostly composed of fun gameplay.
Both psp ports:

Popolocrois - A srpg with some nice cel shaded graphics and a story to boot.

Generations of Chaos - rpg/ board game / RTS???? what ever the hell it was it worked.  Also had some very nice sprites. The only issue was trying to figure out what everything meant when it was all abbreviated.  
ty the tasmanian tiger
it might seem as a generic kiddie platformer but its actualy really gun with big worlds various things to collect colourful graphics great music what more could you want for a platformer its actualy really well made when you give it a chance

any tales of game
im not a big fan of turn based rpgs but ive actualy found alot of fun in this series my fav is xillia (which is also my fav rpg) sure the storys are lame but the combat is really fun and he characters are great

mini ninjas
another game that seems like a kiddie game at first but its a suprisingly fun action adventure game with hack n slash style combat its realy fun and it has some nice cartoony graphics aswell

destroy all humans
a awesome game where you basicly run around destroying shit as a alien you even get to anal probe people XD

sleeping dogs
it may be a GTA clone but it got a decent combat system and it really captures the feel of tokyo quite nicely i think it should get more attention because its really fun
:O Another person who's played Ty! Ty 1 was the first game I ever played, and Ty 2 is my favorite overall. Definitely not a bad choice if you want a solid game series. 
mhm

i wanted to say ratchet and clank aswell since i didnt expect to enjoy it but then again i wasnt exactly sceptical about the games(a crack in time is my fav game of all time aswell)
Interesting list :)

Let's see. A game I found better than the privous one would be Portal 2. Granted I liked the first one but never finished it. I got the second one on a whim and LOVED it. Honestly one of the best games I have played :)

The Last of Us was also way better than I thought it would be. I know that it was said that it was good game over and over but I figured it wouldn't see the "magic" everyone else saw in the game but... I did :D

The Last Story. I feel that this game gets over shadowed by Xenoblade (which is a good game) so I feel The Last Story needs some love too.
Glad to see you're still kickin' around ;)

Last of Us surprised me too, and I thought for sure it couldn't withstand the hype. But it mostly did.

Heh, I might wanna try The Last Story sometime, if I can ever find it anywhere for a decent price. 
Oh yes still here ;)

Yeah I was amazed by it. I braced myself for disappointment then I ended up completely surprised :)

The Last Story is awesome. If you can find it for about 20 its worth the money IMO. ;)
Dead Rising 2. The first Dead Rising was nigh unplayable thanks to the broken controls and retarded AI. DR2 is what the first DR should have been in the first place
I had a feeling you would list Metal Gear Solid 3.  Great game.  :nod:
Last of Us. Yeah yeah I get that everyone said this was a good game, but I'm the kind of gamer who's not really a fan of zombies/horror. Only got the game cuz it was part of my PS3 console bundle. It-was-fun.

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie. Game reviewers bashed it but I rather liked it a lot.
Two examples, off the top of my head.
Monsters in My Pocket, for the NES, is way more fun than a game based on a crappy toy line has any business being.
Alien: Colonial Marines was a lot of fun, despite everyone and their brother acting like its the worst thing since the Black Death.
Is Colonial Marines on PS3?
And 360 and PC. I played it on PC. Maybe I benefited from some patch that console gamers didn't get, but aside from Michael Biehn's voice acting sounding a bit phoned in, I didn't find a damned thing wrong with it.