Best controller for 2D games?

Simple question. Which game controller is best for playing 2D games?

From what I've used it would have to go to Playstation's Dualshock 1,2,&3.
You know, the PS1 PS2 and PS3 controllers that basically have the exact same design (heck you could even use a ps2 controller on the ps1 and vice versa.)
Comments65
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Personally my boy I think I would say this.

SNES
DS
PC
Playstation

Anything is good. As long as it's not like an Atari Jaguar. 
Wait, have you actually held the thing (Jaguar controller) before? if so, what's it like?
No. I dare not covet that thing. The worst controller I've held though is a Nokia Ngage. Now that thing was shit.
And you had to remove the battery and Sim Card to change games...
That sounds painfull. Thanks for smartphones for improving on phone games.
I do miss tactile buttons though... now a days you have to but 40 dollar contraptions to play some of the games on your phone if you don't want to deal with (or cant get used to in my case) touch controls
 I miss regular cell phones too. But not for that reason. 
View all replies
I've become partial to my trusty PS3 controller. I use it for every game emulator. :)
The 360 controller works great for me in SNES emulators.
You use The Dpad or analogue stick
I've had trouble with diagonals on the analog stick with some emulators.
Famicom Controller! (Also known as NES Controller)

PS Controllers can also make an all-rounder.
I really like the Dualshock 4. Wrestling with input wrappers on the PC is a huge pain, but it's a great controller.
I don't even have a PS4, I just really wanted the controller... XD
what about the Xbox One controller, that apparently has official driver support to where you don't need some special wireless adaptor to use it... just a micro USB cord
at the time, the Xbox One controller didn't have any support (the dual shock 4 SORT OF had a driver, lol).
it was a couple months before the xbox controller's PC driver came out, and there was no announcement 
that they were ever going to make one, so I was really just shopping at the wrong time.

Also, I don't like the feel of the xbox one controller as much. And the dual shock 4 works with bluetooth
on my computer so I didn't need an adapter. I have no regrets :P
Okay then, I didn't know PS4 used Bluetooth
anything that has a faily good size d pad. like:
nes, snes, n64, ps1 2 3 and 4

ones that i was never too fond of:
sega genesis, game cube, xbox, 360 and XB1. 

i also use the d pad for fighting games. 
I don't have a lot of experience with the Genesis Dpad (my old friend Lauren had one) but I do remember it feeling pretty good to use
eh to me it felt poorly designed. its like a circular plastic piece that just kind rolls around on the controller. same with the xbox d pad. i like my d pad to feel like 4 seperate buttons
the Xbox and 360 dpads do suck, but I got to use an Xbox One controler thanks to my friend Zach. that controler is comfy as heck to hold, though I don't know if the Dpad was good because the game I played with it (witch was 2D) used the dpad to quickly switch weapons
For 2D games, I think the SNES pad is the pinnacle of controller design.
It seems a bit too small for my hands now, though. I have an actual SNES controller, and I can remember it being much comfier to hold when I was a kid