Telltale's The Walking Dead - Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling Clementine!

What are your opinions on Clementine's actions and behaviour in Season 2?

I recently had a discussion with someone about some of her behaviour from a psychological standpoint, and I feel as though she isn't just the "badass" cahracter people see her as, she's also the most mature character we've seen other than Lee.

But, of course, this is open to debate!
Comments11
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Somewhat unrelated but do you prefer season 1 or season 2 in general? And what'd you have Clem do at the end of season 2? 
In general? I have to say season 1. Lee will always have a special place in my heart, especially how often he risked himself to keep Clementine and his group safe.

In the end of season 2, I'd like to say that I chose the Leave Wellington ending and stayed with Kenny, but I didn't. my first playthrough I shot Kenny and told him he'd see Katjaa and Duck again. I chose [...] when Jane was begging me to stay with her, and I was hoping silence would lead to the Alone with AJ ending, but NOPE. WE ENDED UP GOING TO HOWE'S. I wanted to destroy my monitor. I was so upset with myself.

When I complete this next playthrough, I'm letting Jane die.
The characterization was definitely stronger in season 1. I was legit pissed when Carley was murdered, and sad that Kenny's family perished, but I felt nothing for almost everyone's death/leave in season 2. I think Telltale took the whole "anyone can die at any point" too seriously. Sarah, Nick, and Luke were just killed without much purpose imo; like they were building up something and then Telltale just said "fuck it, kill them off."  

I chose that ending too. I thought Jane was an interesting character and had somewhat understandable motivations, but I would've preferred it to be Luke vs Kenny and have the missing baby be an actual accident. But it's not my choice of ending either; I'd pick the one where you go to Wellington with Kenny and enter the community without him. Some heartwarming moments and heartbreak in an ending; just how I like it. 
I do agree, there was nearly no meaning behind their deaths. And Mike and Bonnie suddenly leaving? There was no reason for that. Arvo had no reason to shoot Clementine, and Mike and Bonnie leaving Clem for dead was most certainly out of character.

The only reason Luke's death upset me was due to my attachment to him, and even then he didn't go through anywhere near as much characterization as Carley.
I need to play these games.
I can't agree more. c:
One of my friends actually refused to play season 2, and his reasoning was that we spent all of season 1 basically molding Clem's personality. He said it'd be pretty cheap and lame to just completely go back on that and do what you want as her, regardless of the actions of season 1.

I personally think she's capable. She can survive. She can be a valuable asset to a group... the problem is she needs the right group.
I can't believe how much I'm writing. [Spoilers ahead] The thing about Season 2 is that it bases itself off of your choices in 1, but it also maintains Clem's personality. While you have the options of making Clem act like a dick in conversation, there are still parallels between the seasons that are visible in her actions.

If you ask (read: manipulate) Alvin for help, you can object to his use of foul language, something Clem does every time Lee swears in Season 1. When Kenny and Nick argue, the lack of choosing a side leads to Clementine covering her ears to drown out the argument. When Sarita asks for help decorating the Christmas tree, Clem obliges and even seeks out a tree topper.

Clem also never entirely loses her faith in humanity and idealistic views. You can strongly object when Carver suggests that you are like him, take care of and befriend Sarah and keep her from discovering what exactly is wrong with the world. She is completely oblivious to sexual matters, doesn't like alcohol, and cannot stand arguing within the group.

While it is true that Clementine's basic character has changed greatly since Season 1, you must also keep in mind that it has been least two years since she had to kill Lee. Clem witnessed (and was partly responsible for) Omid's death, likely had to help deliver Christa's baby, whether it miscarried or died shortly after birth is unknown. Clem is also attacked and chased by a bandit, attacked by a dog, lives through constant starvation, and is locked in a shed. She has to live through being kidnapped, Kenny's slipping mental state, Jane's appearance and disappearance and reappearance, Nick's death, Alvin's death, Rebecca's death, Sarah's death, Luke's death, being shot and abandoned by two people she trusted, and having to chose between Jane and Kenny when both of them start a life or death state.

So much death and destruction leads to obvious symptoms of and behavioral changes caused by PTSD, especially in someone so young. The changes you can apply to Clem's character are all very likely to occur, even when she used to be so idealistic and innocent. It's not cheap, it's realistic.

Also, Clementine is an assured improvement to any group, the problem is she might not need one. Clementine has matured in Season 2 to a point where she is obviously unlike any other adult. The malleability of her young mind leads to her picking up on what it takes to survive quicker than Jane ever did. While she cares deeply about other people and shows a desire to have the world return to what it once was, she understands that people are not immediately trustworthy, and you have to hurt others to save those you care about. She understands that Carver has a point when he states that sometimes, killing one is better for the many, though she doesn't want to admit that he's right.

The contrast between Clementine and other, older survivors is shown if you choose to kill Sam to put him out of his misery. Luke is horrified by the action of killing a once beloved pet, but Clementine knows it was for her survival.
Good points, all.