what rpgs do you find underrated

you know we know rpgs like pokemon final fantay etc but what about those under the radar ones that barley anyone talks about here are my choices

shin megami tenei nocturne
atelier in general
alundra
seiken densetsu 3
terranigma
folklore
illusion of gaia
soulblazer

thats mine what yours?
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Whoa, what happened? He get banned or harrassed or something?
My pick would be Shadow Madness, made by Grave in 1999 for the Playstation. It has quite an interesting world, lore, and characters that deviate so much from prototypical, generically pretty, glittery JRPG style characters (One's a farmer robot, another is a guy you never see without his steam-punk suit, and another is a floating head). I've played many RPGs, mostly JRPG's, and they're good too, but Shadow Madness I find is just as good as some of the best. The major flaw is the aesthetics of the character models, they're very polygonal and blocky, but much of the scenery is fine and nice. For those who think never-ending walls of text is the mark of an "intelligent" game, you'd love Shadow Madness, because they have lots to say and there are many side books to read to look into the lore on a deeper level, but, unlike a game like FFXIII, it's not totally necessary to read every little thing to get the big picture.
The combat is the only way I've ever seen menu-style, turn-based done at its best. The moment you choose an action, they immediately do it, the turns go by quick, meaning if you act fast enough, you can get plenty of hits in before the enemy, and you can avoid attacks by choosing "Evade" which just moves the character away from the malefactor.
I love Shadow Madness, it has good combat, good characters, good story, soundtrack, and everything else... except pretty character models.
Is Star Ocean: The Second Story a game that flew under the radar?  I'd never heard of it until I happened across it at a used game store.  It was for the Playstation, which was a pretty popular console for its time.  What about Elemental Gimmick Gear, E.G.G for the Dreamcast?  That was a great action-style RPG that may or may not be well-known.   
I've played the shit out of Star Ocean: The Second Story. I like it, though the prospect of getting those 80+ endings just makes me want to jump into a pool of barbwire Scrooge McDuck-style. Grinding... the sure-fire way to ensure people will want to play your game only once.
More than 80 endings?  I've started the game 3 times, and can't imagine trying to get all the endings.  Getting 10 endings for Chrono Trigger was bad enough! 
I think that the Dragon Quest series is pretty underrated... in the west, I mean.
Phantasy Star IV, if you're into old-school games.
That is a fantastic choice for a JRPG.  I played that game a great deal in high school.  I always meant to go back and beat the others but I never did.  Did you ever play any of the re-releases of the Phantasy Star games?  I never have, but they look cool.   
You mean the remakes or the new games like Universe? I've dabbled with the remake of the first game - pretty cool to see it looking all updated. Never tried the remake of the second. I haven't touched any Phantasy Star games that aren't the original four 16-bit ones. Maybe someday, who knows? 
Yeah, I meant the remakes.  I've been meaning to give them a shot for a long time, but I've just never gotten around to it. 
I wanna try out the Shin Megami games.
Suikoden III
Soul Nomad
Odium (aka Gorky 17)
Might & Magic (NES)
Ogre Battle
Okage, Dark Cloud, and Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance
A lot of gamers would place that in the overrated category...but not I. Good pick.
Threads of Fate
Brave Fencer Musashi
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Rogue Galaxy

Come at me.
~Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
~Ar Tonelico series
~Xenosaga Ep 2
~Enchanted Arms
~Front Mission
~Valkyria Chronicles
o_o Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is actually my favorite game, it's probably the only rpg I've played 3 times... I even have some fanart of it, but they look like crap because I drew them ages ago XDDDDD
But well, some RPGs that I thought were great and are not very well-known are Mana Khemia, Shadow Hearts (GREAT series, I highly recommend it), SMT: Digital Devil Saga, and Resonance of Fate, my favorite Xbox 360 game...because well...xbox doesn't have many interesting games anyway o_õ
for mana khemia i just said atelier in general since they all have there little quirks that keep them fun
yup, but tbh I preferred the MK games over the Atelier Iris...at least the ones for ps2, that is
The World Ends With You
The Bards Tale series (Not that PS2/Xbox game.)
I mean, the original Bards Tale Series, and it's offshoot Dragon Wars. It really stood in the shadow of the D&D Gold Box Adventures.
do you make this thread every 2 months or something