Turn-based tactical RPGs

While playing through FFTactics for the PSOne with the massive Hard Mode cheat enabled for the thousandth time is tempting, I want to play something else for a change. Any suggestions? Got a favorite?

I've played all of the FFTactics. I haven't quite hit 100% in FFTA2 just yet; I need to clear the final Tor. My team is wickedly overpowered since I stick to the same 4-5 guys the entire game, so... Eh.

I've played, but haven't beaten, Shining Force. My cartridge died. My poor games are getting that old. D:

I could try getting through Fire Emblem (the one with Lyndis and Hector) without letting anyone die... But I'm wanting something more flashy at the moment.

And I have yet to try Tactics Ogre. Is it any good? ...Okay, let me rephrase that: How does it play? Perma-death? Flashy? Simple? Does it have that stupid thing where you do more damage from the back, so the AI behaves stupid? (Seriously, FF, stop that).
Comments35
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I thoroughly enjoy jagged alliance 2, it's one of those few games that I still play to this day.
God Tactics Ogre makes me have nightmares. The fact that enemies can sneak kill you when you almost get a no perma character KO'd is reason enough to ragequit after about an hour of constant turn based. Bahamut Lagoon was good, but it was also on the easy side. But still good enough that the characters were interesting and the combat was fun.
Because no one mentioned it yet, I might as well, Saiyuki: Journey West for the PS1. It's a pretty decent Tactic/RPG, nothing ground breaking though. While the gameplay is pretty basic, It's unique enough for it to differentiate it from every other Tactic/RPG out there, and this is definitely a game worth playing for its story.

Also if you have a SCD, definitely get Dark Wizard, It's a downright great Tactic/RPG, probally even the best game on the entire system too, It's that great.

If you have a SCD, I assume you already have Shining Force CD.
I didn't even know what SCD meant until you mentioned Shining Force. Sadly, I've never owned a Sega system. And there's no point anymore, since they remade most of the things I care about for other systems.
Well Dark Wizard, and Shining Force CD(SF CD is a compilation of the first SF game on the gam gear, the 2nd game gear SF game which was never released on the game gear outside of Japan, and a 3rd part which is exclusive to the SCD) are SCD only games.

I wish we got the Sega Ages that contain the awesome Saturn games(I don't want to buy a POS Saturn sigh), but sadly we only get the crappy Sega Ages compilations, all the good ones are Japan only.
Front Mission and Advance / battalion Wars (etc...) are among my favourites.
I never did beat any Front Mission games besides Front Mission : Gun Hazard and I have Front Mission 3. Front Mission is a pretty good series with lots of weapon customizations and buying of Wanzer parts to deck out your mech. Front Mission was a really good one too. I love LG rockets and shooting from afar. The art style of the game isn't too bad as well. If you want to know a good tactical rpg. Check out Super Famicom Wars. While still technically not an RPG it's a good strategy based game.
you know whats a weird one that was pretty cool but went under the radar? "Onimusha Tactics"...like FFTA only you collect souls of fallen enemies & it has some really cool gameplay systems.

Also....fuckin Disgaea.
Holy crap, a tactic/RPG I haven't played(didn't know there was even such a thing). Although it seems to be a average game at best, it seems like It's worth a play through, and the fact I haven't played it yet, is definitely a big plus.
I've actually played Onimusha Tactics, I just couldn't remember the name of it. Yoichi has all my love. <3
Age of wonders! I've being playing this game since Age of wonders 1, now Age of wonders 3 is out. You will love it if you want a tactical turn-based RPG game
Oh! La Pucelle is a great one too. Def a fave of mine.
XCOM :) It's turn based, tactical, difficult and lots of fun.  
Don't forget the Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodoss for the GBA(for the most part, It's way better then the first game, which is saying something, because the first game was awesome).

Hoshigami(avoid the remake, get the PS 1 version), It's the hardest Tactic/RPG ever made, so if you're sick of the piece of cake Tactic?RPGs, this is the game for you.

Brigandine is a pretty awesome one as well, but sadly it costs a fortune now, as It's the 2nd(not counting Jack Brothers lol) lowest production run ATLUS game ever made(Hoshigame is the #1 lowest production run release, but it being super hard combined with there being a remake, has made Hoshigami super cheap to get now)

Disgaea 2 is epic, but omg boy does it take a lot of grinding to do everything(get the PSP version, since it has added content)

Suikoden Tactics Another great tactic game.

Makai Kingdom Another great one

Phantom Brave yet another great one from NIN

There's Soul Nomad if you are in need for even more, It's not bad by any means, but compared to the other NIS Tactic/RPGs, It's just not as good.

SMT Devil Survivor As a highbred, this is awesome, but from a strictly Tactic/RPG standpoint, It's on the short side, however it does have new game+, and special bonus unlocks, and a in game achievement system, so it does have pretty nice replay value.
Suikoden Tactics and Hoshigami! 
Great recommendations all around but truly great job with these two. :)  
Awesome, found someone who doesn't discount Suikoden Tactics just because It's based off of 4(which was a really bad game), and even more shocking, someone who stuck with Hoshigami long enough to actually learn how to properly play(such a great game) the game :)
Yep! That's exactly what I was thinking. lol :D 
I think I'm gonna go dig up that Hoshigami! My PS1 still works, somehow.
Awesome. I deem it to be easily one of the best Tactic/RPGs ever made(like top 3 material, if not top two), but you need to learn how to properly play the game, otherwise you "will" get owned :)
The last Tactics Ogre I saw review was a very in depth game with a large amount of content and micro management. Also try Disgea, there's a few of them and there's some pretty cool stuff to do in them, there big games too!
The only thing that steers me away from Disgea is the fact that you can uber-level yourself and your things. I get bored after a point. I mean, all I do in MMORPGs is craft constantly, but upgrading the same thing over and over bores me.

Or maybe I'm just having a bad flashback from Legend of Mana. Love that game; hate making armor or weapons worth a damn.
Record of Agarest War might be something to look out for, there's two that I know of.
There's Advance Wars. It's sort of like a hybrid between tactical RPGs and RTS games like Starcraft, in that instead of having a handful of characters that you level up you gather resources to build an army of expendable units.
I love Radiant Historia on the DS
It's a fantasy RPG, turn-based

it's not really a tactical game, but there are fun/awesome ways of battling