Nintendo Direct 4.8.2014

So much awesome Smash Bros news!  What ya guys/gals think?  I'm psyched for the character changes, primarily Charizard and Samus not having to be force-switched, and to play as Lil Mac!  Also, YOSHI!  :D

Still thinking they might be holding out on Captain Falcon for some kind of F-Zero announcement!

Share!
Comments180
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yes that's all well and good, just tell me when Nintendo make a new console to rival the PS4 and the Xbox one with games like Sonic, Mario, Need For Speed, GTA, Call of Duty, etc.
While its true that Nintendo has really mucked a lot of stuff up,
I tend to believe this is a great step forward for them.
(I know this threads old, but I'm gonna comment anyway)
I'm super excited for this game! I'm hoping the next Direct or two they do, they release pre-order dates so I can pre-order my 3DS version (I plan on getting both since they'll be slightly different).
Super excited for Greninja and Charizard, though I'm not happy with Sheik and ZS Samus. I feel they took away spots for potential fighters, but we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.
Even though I didn't grow up with Capcom, I am super excited for Megaman! I still have yet to see the video for his Final Smash, so I'll be viewing that shortly. And the idea of stage hazards and Final Destination modes are really cool. Not sure if I'll try that spotpass mode thing they'll have.

For the most part, I'm happy with what they got. I don't like all this secrecy, but it makes the wait far more exciting. I do wish that both versions were coming out at once...but I think we'd all be broke XD
I will pre-order both versions as well!

And I like that they separated different versions of characters into
a different slot, since they play so differently.  I never liked switching
back and forth.

Woot for more Pokemon characters!

Megaman, meh, lol.  Never into that series, but yay for other ppl
getting to play as a fav I suppose.

I'm waiting for Lil Mac!  :D
I found the switching fine. It only sucked when you switched by accident XD

I never played the Megaman series (or watch the show), but I think he'll fit in just fine. And yeah, it's great that those who like him get a chance to play as him!

I kinda am waiting for him as well. I haven't played his games either but he looks like a fun character to play.
I always switched by accident, lol.

And with Pokemon trainer, it made you switch
during certain times.
Hmm, that is very true. So I guess not having Pokemon Trainer would be a good thing since I only ever used Charizard and never really liked using Ivysaur or Squirtle.
Yeah, everyone used Charizard, lol.

Bulbasaur was my starter, so I tried using Ivysaur, and Ivysaur
was all right, fun to try and play as, but lacked any kind of power.

Squirtle was just weird to control, at least for me.
I found Ivysaur an annoyance to fight against, especially with Bullet Seed.
And I always stuck to walls with Squirtle even though I didn't want him to. He was a bit odd to control I found as well.
View all replies
I really want to see a Namco character make it in. Lloyd Irving would be so cool to see in Smash Bros. and Namco practically owes him that after making him so awesome in the first game, then giving the game he was in a horrible sequel and then having him as a playable character in Soul Calibur Legends.
Yeah, I think he'd fit well.  And man, Soul Calibur Legends was damn awful.

I've always wanted to see Amaterasu from Okami in here, but she's
(unfortunately) owned by Capcom.  Waaaah!

The sequel, are you talking about that horrible Wii Tales game?
Yes, I'm talking about the horrible Wii Tales game. I was so pissed that they made it so bad... I raged horribly that day. I wanted all the new characters to die horribly.
Lol, indeed!  I only played it for about 2 hours, max.
Couldn't go any further and returned it.
I somehow went further. I wanted to see just how badly they butchered Lloyd... I was very upset at how badly they did too. I can't believe my friend actually like this games though, it's not even good for a stand alone game, much less a "Tales of" game.
Wow.  Yeah, I describe that game as Pokemon+Kingdom Hearts-Fun-Creativity-ever wanting to play that series again!

All of that = Tales on Wii.
Sounds about right, but I did still want to play the Tales of series again... but only to be disappointed my the mindless button mashing of Graces... Graces' lack of a TP system meant that you only needed to button mash and set your strategy just right and you win easily. I hated that so much.
View all replies
To TurdEvulture:

youtu.be/wQYob6dpTTk 

Seriously, It's getting really fucking annoying to hear you spew crap from your racist, cat murdering, tree hugging mouth! Just because you won't shut up, I'm going to buy both the Wii U version and the 3DS version TWICE!
Exactly, he's being more whinier than Angry Joe and BlackBusterCritic when it came to Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
:| (Blank Stare) Wow.

And nice link? Clap

Now what about him?  I'm not in the forums a whole lot..... Sweating a little... 
It's a long story. A VERY long story.
I see pretty much everyone and their families, and their
families ancestors hate this guy, I just generally try to
avoid drama.....

That's incredibly sickening if it is all true.  Why hasn't he been
banned at the very least?
Man - A new Super Smash Bros announcement is like a Solar Eclipse, it takes more than half a decade for one to happen but when it does the rest of my world temporarily disappears as I have my eyes and my mind totally focused on that :eager:

I think it will be an improvement in every way. Though that's easy for me to say since most of my fave characters likely aren't going to change (perhaps the exception of Yoshi, but I think they are only changing how he stands and walks, not how he fights) So there's going to be no growing pains for me, yet I'll still be able to witness the changes going on in other players. I also heard before seeing the video that the fighting style will sit somewhere between Melee (considered a more hardcore game) and Brawl (considered more casual) And I'd welcome this too since it means it will sit on the fence and hopefully will fulfill the needs for both sides, which I think they're counting on since they set up two different modes of online play catering to each crowd which I think is a neat idea :clap:

I'm also excited for the new stages too. The Sonic Lost World stage and Super Mario Galaxy stage have my attention, and as always - I can't wait to see what kind of background visuals they make for Final destination, I have always loved the special effects in the Final Destination stages, but after a few years they tend to age and don't look quite so impressive anymore. So here's going to be a fresh one :D
Ha, yeah I am so psyched about it.  Will probably pre-order and get both
the 3ds and WiiU versions, mostly because the 3ds version will be out soon, and don't
wanna wait, but also because of the different modes/stages!  :D

So so SO happy with the balance changes they are making as well.  I don't play online,
just with friends, but we can go from pretty casual matches, to all-out wars, lol.
And yay, no more tripping!! Dance!

I will GREATLY miss story mode, though.

And there will be a Final Destination form for all stages, they said!  Woot!
Part of me thought they should have released both versions at once, but I guess it's smart from a business point of view to not give everything away all at once and always ensure people have something to enjoy now but also something to look forward to later. Since after the Wii U version comes out - what will be next, and how long would it take? They would have already done their new versions of other popular game series by then. Mario already had his new games on the Wii U (New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World) so they aren't really obligated to do anymore for him until their next console (unless they surprise us like they did with Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii) Donkey Kong had his new game, soon will Mario Kart too. I suppose after Smash Bros 4 they're still open for a new Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby and Star Fox game, and maybe even a Pokemon console game too. I just hope they don't give up on the good titles after Smash Bros 4 since they've been doing so well so far :D

I have never been really fond of playing online myself, especially since my connectivity isn't always the most reliable and I remember trying online mode for Brawl a few years back and it lagged a lot. I'd be KO-ed and not even know it for 30 seconds sometimes :doh: I'm hoping that was more of Nintendo's issue than my own internet provider's issue though, since if it was then I might have better luck this time around. Even so, I always have more fun playing against my brother in the same room than stranger son the internet anyway. Online mode is nice but I can still live without it if I have to :)

It's too bad there's no story mode but I'm sure everything else the game offers is going to make up for it. Maybe they'll at least have an Adventure Mode similar to Super Smash Bros Melee :fingerscrossed: