Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 25, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

PC gaming: what kind of controller do you use?

:iconanimerrill:
AniMerrill Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hey, I'm in the process of designing a game for PC (which we might later move to consoles if it does well) and I ran into an interesting problem. I have no idea what PC game pads are like these days, and I only have a GameStop XBOX controller because at one point I was working with XNA and needed a testing controller.

I'm really passionate about making our game controller-compatible, since I personally believe gaming feels best (probably just my nostalgia boner) when played on a real, bonafide game pad. PLEASE NOTE: a keyboard layout will be the default, I'm not stupid. Every computer USUALLY has a keyboard, so that way it will definitely be playable by everyone. But just for people who feel the same way I do, or in the event that local multiplayer is included, I wanna make sure I have the most popular game pads in mind when designing a control scheme.

Any input would be appreciated, and if you DO happen to have a controller in the "Other" category, if you could link a pic or amazon listing for it that'd be awesome.

Thanks again~

tl;dr Do you just use A) a keyboard/mouse combo, B)an XBOX 360 or PS3 controller, or another with the same layout, or C)some other kind and please explain below.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconscalman:
scalman Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
best and cheapest controlers for best gaming on pc are console controllers. both are good ,maybe x360 more for bigger hands . and in some ways its more comfy,but PS3 controller have bonus that u no need nothing else to buy ..just connect it to pc by usb cable..done its working. specialy if u play or playe dgames earlier with console so to play them with same controller again on pc is best way .
:iconalmathecute:
almathecute Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Razor Anansi Keyboard + Razor Naga Epic. Im pleased with the setup. I cannot f***ing stand a controller, which part of the reason I am a pc gamer ;) but thats just personal Tastes.

Oh wait I also have a AV8R-01 for the rare acations I play a Combat Flight/Space sim. Thats it
:iconca-wolf:
CA-WOLF Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Mouse: Steelseries Katana

Keyboard: Standard logitech

Gamepad: Logitech F510
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013
Mouse+gameboard

Specifically logitech G700 and logitech G13
:iconzoltor:
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013
Depends on the game, general PC games, I use the R.A.T 7(omg such a godly mouse)+keyboard, with other stuff, I use an adapter so I can use a classic controller pro.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Professional Artist
I use my keyboard, although I'm debating getting Motion Joy in order to use my PS3 controller.

Honestly, I only like certain games with a controller, and as a fellow indie dev, I can tell you right now that you need to make sure to test both the keyboard and controller layouts -- Quantum Conundrum didn't do that and it backfired for the PC version because the keyboard layout was horrible.

If it's going to be more in the vague area between inFamous, Dragon's Dogma, or DmC, then I might use a controller, but otherwise I won't really care. I was brought into gaming by Windows 95, so I have no such nostaglia "boners".
:iconanimerrill:
AniMerrill Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really I have a pretty good idea how I want to do input for the game and allow the player to make several configuration profiles for the game depending on what devices they use. Mainly I just needed to see if like, by some odd chance, most controllers came with four less buttons than a standard XBOX or PS3 controller.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Professional Artist
...dude, a glance at Amazon could easily confirm that most PC controllers have the same buttons. The only things that wouldn't would be joysticks, and outside of flight simulators, what are those good for anymore?
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013
Depends on the game:
Any Platformer: Logitech F310 Gamepad
Shooters: Logitech F310 Gamepad
First Person and Third Person games: Keyboard and Mouse
Topdown games: Keyboard and mouse

However one of these days I am DEFINITELY buying one of those joystick/keypad hybrid things to replace using a keyboard, but still use the mouse. I just can't stand using four fucking buttons ALONE to move and there is a lot of margin for fuck ups when I play faster paced stuff. I still on occasion hit the wrong key when trying to use grenades or something and it's just...goddamn uncomfortable. ;-;
:iconrocketeer-raccoon:
Rocketeer-Raccoon Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It depends on the game I want to play, if it's a first person or an MMO type game, I would use the mouse and keyboard. For anything else I use the wireless Xbox 360 controller with the help of the wireless receiver to make it work. :)
Add a Comment: