Closed to new replies
February 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 98

Do we really need new consoles?

:iconmikethemerciless:
Mikethemerciless Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know, this may be a stupid question but I guess I just don't get it. Back in the day we would get all excited over new consoles because they looked different offering vastly inproved graphics but with the current generation graphics have been pretty much perfected so I really don't see the need for new consoles anymore.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Mar 5, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Honestly... the only reason we "need" them is because publishers and developers think they need to. Most of them are obsessed with mentalities and common market trends that they themselves in part created.
:iconvalentineuk:
I personally think that new consoles aren't a bad idea considering how long the current console generation has gone on for. I just wish that console developers would release good, functional consoles with a decent line up of games and bring in a ll the "innovation" later.

I, personally, have never gotten on well with motion gaming. There are games for the Wii that I would like to play, I just don't want to put up with potential shoe-horning of motion based controls.

I've always been of the mindset that; the less you have to think about HOW you're controlling the game, the more immersed that you can get into the games you're playing.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Mar 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Well, I think we don't need the Wii U, it's random.
UNLESS a AWESOME game is on it.
:iconraccoon-rocketeer:
Raccoon-Rocketeer Mar 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
This is why I stick to PC, you can upgrade as soon as the highest graphics need touching up with new hardware. And lets face it, consoles will always be graphically inferior to PC.
:iconpandadrake:
No, we don't need new consoles.

Companies want consoles so that they can continue to compete with each other and make better hardware, to get the better games, to get our money.

We don't need better hardware because entertainment is a trivial part of our lives. We don't need fucking Star Trek tech in our living room to enjoy video games. Also artists have proven time and time again that you can develop perfectly good games with the hardware that currently exists.

Also in terms of graphics we've pretty much peaked. Textures and graphic are at the point where they hurt the believability of the artificial worlds by making the incongruities more obvious.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Mar 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
We don't need new consoles. Its not like we are going to die without them.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Unless they're some AltimitOS .hack\\ shit, no. We need revolution, not aesthetics.
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Feb 26, 2013  Student General Artist
In order to keep up with technological advances (i.e. graphics, sound), yes.

But for the heck of it, no.
:iconmvrcealago:
Mvrcealago Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
well even if they do make more does anyone really care if there's another console? I really don't believe that there's going to be a PS4 for certain, but it'd be pretty persuaed if Sony's really going to bother
:icondecolesse:
well, they announced it like a week again so PS4 is pretty certain lol
Add a Comment: