Sony and backwards capability

[link]

Sony Corp. 6758.TO -1.87% is planning to offer technology to stream games to its next videogame console, people familiar with the company's plans say, alongside other enhancements to bolster its position in the market.

The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.

Sony's plans come after it acquired Gaikai Inc. last year for $380 million. Though many companies now offer simple games over the Internet, Gaikai was one of several companies that offered online access to visually intense games, which ordinarily require specialized circuitry found on high-end personal computers and gaming consoles.

The streaming technology is one of the new features and enhancements expected to be offered with the new console, which Sony plans to unveil at an event in New York. Sony's new PlayStation, for example, may control the action with higher fidelity cameras for its "Move" motion-sensing technology and touch-sensing pads on new controllers, according to people who have seen and been briefed on the devices.

Still, Sony is pushing ahead and has been investing heavily to prepare Gaikai's service, people familiar with the matter say. Microsoft also has experimented with its own version of cloud gaming, people at the company have said, but has in the past questioned the costs associated with building a service large enough to reach all its customers.

What This Means:

Due to how horribly fucked up the PS3 and CELL processor is, standard backwards compatability on the PS4 is difficult at best. Unfortunately, this compromise isn't a whole lot better. Basically, what happens is Sony streams the game to you (like Netflix), and you send controller input back. This has the following consequences:

-Forced repurchasing of your PS3 games.
-Internet required for backwards compatability.
-Broadband issues. See, one doesn't really "stream" a game; You play it on a remote server. This requires your internet connection to have to push a good deal of data upstream to the remote server where it is processed and sent back to you in a rendered stream of video. This'll eat up a ton of broadband. And God help you if you're Canadian . . .
-Severe input lag. Thisis going to be a nightmare for games requiring twitch-reflexes or precision.

And those aren't the only problems that will be caused by this compromise. What's especially distressing is that this wasn't reported by a gaming magazine, but the Wall Street Journal, meaning that it was likely leaked by Sony to influence investor perception, and has a 99% chance of being true.

Thoughts?
Comments134
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I was originally thinking of starting to put money away so I could buy this console on launch, but after everything i've read about it since it's unveiling i'm not so sure.
Anybody catch Deep Down at the conference? Looks pretty damned good.
it was interesting, if fairly generic

the last bit of the trailer confused me, though
Hey, I've got this brilliant idea. You either don't get a PS3 but instead get a PS4, and as a result, when you get the streamed games, they're new not rebought. Or, you get the PS3, you play the PS3 games on the PS3, and you play the PS4 games on the PS4. I know this is a new concept but I have this sneaking suspicion it will catch on.
How does PS4 not having backwards capability mean you have to repurchase games?
Because this is Sony and I doubt they'll let Western gamers just confirm their games for streaming to their console. Even if they don't, you'll probably lose all save files and God help you if you still are hoping for a decent MP experience on a streamed game.
But how does that require you to REpurchase games? Just play them on your Ps3.....
I think a lot of people are planning on trading their PS3 towards the PS4.
Then clearly they're a bit too eager to join in. The rewards for being a first adopter rarely are that worthwhile.
Agreed, but have you noticed most people? They don't seem to understand this concept of "you could just play it on the machine you already have".
I sincerely hope they don't go with streaming...That would SUCK. I wouldn't buy a PS4, and might as well start paying out of my ass JUST TO PLAY ONLINE with XBAWX instead. Seriously, the only Sony console I want right now is the Vita, and that's only because of Persona 4: The Golden, Gravity Rush, UMvC3, Street Fighter X Tekken (for the extra characters), and BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend. Then, there will be Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention, Dragon's Crown, and other games I want that are on the Vita. I would want those fighting games listed mainly because of the additional content included.
...or you could just get a PS3, which has games ranging anywhere from 3 bucks to 30 for games that had average scores of 7.5-10 out of 10, and not have to pay for online, get Vita remote play, and have MP. The only thing you'll lose is that not everyone will have a mic.

I know it's a crazy idea... but it could work.
I already have a PS3.
So you're saying your problem is non-existent?
Well, if PS4 is coming out, it better have backwards compatibility. A lot of customers are going to be PISSED at Sony if it doesn't.
But there's no reason for them to be pissed, because they'll have PS3 on the cheap, or they'll already have one if they care that much. It's a non-existent problem. Hell, I managed to get a PS2 not too long ago and those things are out of production. It was only fifty bucks, less than a launch day PS3 game, and the PS2 games are even cheaper. The same will be for the PS3.
Okay, but who's going to be on the PS3's network? Nobody, that's who. Every one else will have moved onto the next generation.
View all replies
Wait, no, that doesn't count as answer. What you're saying is -- it's a problem, because it is. Not because there's actually a reason for it, but just because.

Anyone who really wants to play PS3 games has a number of options. They can do the streaming thing. They can wait for the PS3 to go cheap. Or they can get a PS3 now. Considering that unless you've got literally no space in your house, you can have two consoles sitting next to one another, you're making an issue out of nothing.
But then you don't need backwards compatibility. You have the original product that works just fine
Good for them!! Good luck Sony?
Geez, so much negativity. Save it for the press conference, mkay?

Though I do wonder what they'll make of the rumoured controller. I hope they keep the rubber start/select button. Those are to the PS controller what oxygen is to the lung.

We all know it's probably not going to be backwards compatible. That's a shame. I don't really want more than a couple of consoles under my TV at any one time. What if I want to get a 720 as well? Running out of space isn't cool.

I'm intrigued about the rumoured "Live OS" system though.
The press conference already happened. They've already stated it isn't likely to happen.
Oh how people and their outcries for backwards compatibility, I guess I will just go play my N64 games on my Gamecube.