Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

If I sign on to Steam on my bro's PC with the games he bought and installed...

:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm borrowing my brother's new laptop to play the games he bought and installed from Steam, one of them being The Witcher 2. If I were to log him out of his account and I sign in to my account, am I allowed to play the games he already has installed or do I have to pay for the games even though my bro already installed them?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Feb 18, 2013  Student Photographer
chances are big it wont work and beside, account sharing is against the Tos
:iconhydris:
It can vary.

If it's one of those games that don't require Steam to be running, you can just go to the game's directory, and launch the executable yourself. There isn't a clear description, but chances are, if there's no steam_api.dll, this can be done.
:iconfolji:
Folji Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Steam will only let you play the games that you have linked to your account. If you could play the games installed by another user it'd be way too easy to exploit the service in so many ways. =P

Best stick to his account if you want to play his games!
:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Fair enough, I think he knows that if he's automatically logged in, I can play his games. Actually, he's always been cool with that. In the past, if I wanted to play Half-Life, I asked permission to login for me so I can play it. We both have Team Fortress 2 attached to both of our accounts. Maybe I could play that.
:iconfolji:
Folji Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's a great thing that Steam has an entire library of free games to play. :giggle:
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Yeah, it's nice when people do that for their friends. It's best to only do it between friends at best.
:iconpakaku:
No, but on the other hand, you can play all of your games on other computers.
:iconleo-inu:
No, you would still have to pay for the rights to play it. It would be "pre-loaded" though. I dont know much about Witcher 2, but does it allow multiple save files? Just ask him to use his account when hes not playing to play the game.

With Steam it has all the info you provide to it, including a list of games you've purchased, therefore more or less giving you a right to play it.
Add a Comment: