Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

Any must-have games for the Sega Saturn?

:iconsallysfunnykiss:
SallysFunnyKiss Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
After some thought, I've decided that it's time to make another addition to my console collection and get a Saturn. I'm looking into Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon (damn you, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, for doing your job and making me want to buy more Sega stuff...), but I am also looking into imports and such. Any suggestions? I have a budget of about $200. Don't go crazy. XD

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphantasmastriker:
PhantasmaStriker Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Rayforce
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
DoDonPachi...
:iconcorvalian:
Corvalian Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Poor ol' Sega...
:iconlouiseugeniojr:
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'd recommend Virtua Fighter 2, Nights Into Dreams, as well as Sonic Jam. As for imports, I highly recommend Radiant Silvergun, if you're into spaceship shooters.
:iconty-calibre:
Ty-Calibre Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Space Hulk.

Almost persuaded me to buy one of them.
:icondburch01:
dburch01 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sonic Jam and maybe Megaman X-3 and Megaman 8
SallysFunnyKiss Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Digital Artist
How many Sonic Genesis collections must I own? XDDD

I would like to see the hub world, though...
:icondburch01:
dburch01 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Apparently, Jam's the best one
Huh. I'm more interested in the whole "Sonic Adventure beta" aspect. Hopefully it won't make me motion sick like all the others seem to ... XD
:icondrachenmagier:
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The main problem here is that all the titles I would recommend... are way over the top with the prices. ^^' Though since you're looking into Imports, you might find a copy to a decent price. Are you able to read Japanese? And is your Saturn modded? (the Saturn is regionlocked. I had to get a J-Saturn for the J-Games).

In any case I'd recommend to check Story of Thor 2 (the first part was for the Genesis). Panzer Dragoon Saga is fantastic too, but the price... is a killer, no question here. J-Copies are cheaper and easier to find than the US ones, so again: If you're able to read Japanese, go for a J-version.

Personally I loved Rayman, though it's hard as hell.

Synphony of the Night - as already recommended - is great too, even has some extra areas in the Saturn version. :D

And if you're a collector and in love with beautiful editions of games: Check everything created by Working Design. Their editions are mostly rare and expensive but so worth it~. (yes, I confess, I'm a big fan of their works).
I can read Japanese, and heard that the Action Replay accessory is specifically for getting around region locks and all that fun stuff. Then again, I could have been lied to. :shrug:

I saw the price of Panzer Dragoon Saga... :faint:

I've dabbled in Rayman, but haven't gotten to play much of it.

I'll keep an eye out for C:SotN, though I'm not that big on Castlevania and have heard that the Saturn version isn't too stellar.

I'll also keep an eye out for Dragon Force and the Working Designs titles. Thanks a ton!
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Right, I forgot this option. Though it's not 100% reliable and I had 5 ARs give up on me during a short time. Though there are a few different producers, maybe the one I used was just crap. d:

@Japanese: Awesome, that opens a lot of doors for you! :D

If you ever get the chance to play PD Saga, do it. It might be because it was one of the first RPGs I ever played, but I love this game to bits.

SotN: The Saturn Version only has one thing that makes it different from the PS1-Version: The Saturn is not able to show see-through items, so they had to trick a bit there. Other than that it is the same game. And like I said: Even has bonus areas you will only find on the Saturn.

I guess it's a good CV to try the genre out, has a bit of everything: Hard bosses, RPG-elements, jump and run parts... Most people seem to think it's like the first ones on the NES, without save points or anything. :D
SallysFunnyKiss Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Which AR would you recommend?

I may just get the PD games one at a time- as much as I love RPGs, I'm not spending over $1000 on one. I've got college to save up for. XD
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You wouldn't do good with my recommendations. :D They all crashed quite fast. Just try a few. Though I had one... it was rubbish as AR, but it was awesome as external memory unit. Get one of those: The saturn has an internal battery which will eventueally need changing. And once you take it out, every save file will be gone.

And don't spend USD 1000.- on PD saga! XD I would say around 250.- is an ok price for a decent looking copy, I'd say. Still horrible expensive.
Still better than Earthbound, I guess. T^T
:iconelirox904:
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
DO NOT GET CSotN ON THE SEGA SATURN!!!!!
Sorry, but despite the extras, the version on SEGA Saturn is HORRIBLE, mainly because of the loading times. It's the same reason why Chrono Trigger sucks on PS1 despite all the extras.
I'd reccomend it on PS1 or PSP instead. The PSP has the Saturn's extras with the loading times of the PS1 version.

To reiterate my previous post, if there's any SS game that's also on the PS1, then don't even bother with the SS version.
Gotcha. I don't own a single Sony console, though, nor do I plan to own one...
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Okay. As much as I'm in love with the PS1, I can understand.
Well, seeing as how you don't have a single SONY console and with the information that you know Japanese, I've decided to make a new and much more complete list for you (Save it on a Notepad file or something):

Megaman X4: Good on both the PS1 and SS.

Megaman 8: Well, the Saturn version is actually better here, but I dislike this game heavily, so I forgot it exists.

Resident Evil 1: The original version is on both, but only the PS1 has the director's cut which is the superior version. The original version is still awesome though.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night: Again, not worth your time. The loading times kill it on Saturn.

Grandia: Amazing on both, can't think of many differences.

Cyberbots Fullmetal Madness: A VERY underrated fighting game. You may remember the star of the game Jin from Marvel vs. Capcom. Anyhow, I've never played the Saturn version, but I heard it's basically the same as the PS1 version anyways.

Lunar: Can't go wrong on either, even if the PS1 version is slightly better.

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete: The Saturn version actually has better music, though it's an inferior version since it's missing a few dungeons, cutscenes, etc. However, it's not a big deal.

Marvel Superheroes: A decent fighting game that doesn't have many differences from the PS1 version.

Street Fighter vs. X-Men: Same as above.

Policenauts: Apparently, one of Hideo Kojima's greatest games (Which is saying a lot since he made Metal Gear Solid and Snatcher). Of course, we have no fan translation or anything so I can't judge it for myself.

Phantasy Star Collection: While not as good as the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection version, this ought to satisfy you since Phantasy Star 2 and 4 (ESPECIALLY the latter) are so awesome.

Shining Force 3: Again, I'm not sure if there are fan translations for parts 2-3, but since you know Japanese that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sonic Jam: Has Sonic 1-3 + Sonic and Knuckles from the Genesis.

Snatcher: Only the SEGA CD version is officially in English, but the Saturn/PS1 version is uncensored and has better music.
Got it. Thanks!
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I can only think of a few masterpieces that I'd reccomend you get on PS1 instead like Reisdent Evil 1, Megaman X4, Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Grandia.

Well actually, there is always Shining Force 3, but IIRC we only got an official translation of the first part. I'm not sure if there are fan translations of parts 2-3.
Thanks for the suggestions!
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
If you're not into PC gaming
Darius Gaiden
House of the Dead (shitty graphics and long loading times though)

Otherwise
Shmups
DoDonPachi
Radiant Silvergun
Darius II

Beat 'em ups
Tower of Doom
Shadow over Mystara
Guardian Heroes

2D Platformers
Sonic Jam
Gex
Mega Man 8 (not as great as the NES classics, but it's still good. Bad voice acting to be warned.)
I'm not that big on shmups and beat 'em ups, and I didn't even know MM8 was on the Saturn. XD

Thanks for the suggestions!
:iconbloodyjustice0:
Bloodyjustice0 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I cant even find a saturn (for a decent price that is)
I found one for about $40 or so on Amazon. That seems reasonable.
:iconzoltor:
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Oh yea, forgot Shining the Holy Ark
I'll keep an eye out.
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Dragon Force, and Nights
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Definitely agreeing here. :D
Though Dragon Force is about as easy to find as Panzer Dragoon Saga. Still searching for it. ^^'
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Yea, but atleast when you do find a copy, It's super dirt cheap, unlike Panzer Dragoon Saga which costs like 300ish, Dragon Force will only cost like 20-30 bucks.
drachenmagier Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Really? So far I was not really lucky. Ebay is pretty much the only source I could find for US-Saturn Titles (living in Europe) and there it is something around USD 100.-, if the condition is decent.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Shining Force 3. You can only get the first part out of 3 in English but it's still a full-length RPG. The import versions of the other 2 parts used to be quite pricey but I don't know what they're like now. The US version is cheap though. This game was an entry in a long-running Sega franchise.

Dragon Force. There's 2 of those, only the first one in English.

NiGHTS. Duh.

Um, well, that's all I can think of right now. There's a Sega franchise called Sakura Wars that's huge in Japan, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of them (the most recent one in the series was released in the US last year though.)
SallysFunnyKiss Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I think I've heard of Shining Force, so I'll have to check the prices on Amazon. I've never heard of Dragon Force, so I'll keep an eye out for that, too. (What's with all of these "_______ Force" games?)

I have the XBLA version of NiGHTS, so that's taken care of. XD

I looked up Sakura Wars, and it seems that the fifth game was released stateside a couple years ago... It seems like something that I could really get into, despite sounding just plain weird. Thanks for the suggestions!
The 90's were a very forceful time. Actually, they're both Sega games, it turns out (wasn't sure about Dragon Force). And they both had the same titles in Japan. I guess Sega was all about force!

There's a Sakura Wars anime, too. Well, there's a few of them. I thought Sakura Wars TV was terrible, but I liked all the OVAs. Uh, it's kind of girly, though. Nearly too girly for me but just girly enough for my husband.

Oh, just as a sidenote, I thought Clockwork Knight was cute, but in retrospect the gameplay is probably really frustrating.
I see. XD

To borrow a line from Cracked.com, "Clockwork Knight was the first 32-bit game for pussies."
I think they were a TAD unfair to it. I mean, Eternal Champion came out first, didn't it?
All I know is that EC is a Genesis game... nothing more. :shrug:
I was thinking of the SegaCD version, but, uh, it's 16-bit too apparently. Somehow.
So anyway looks like Cracked was right. AGAIN.

[link] WOOOOOOO
They're right about everything...
Add a Comment: