Closed to new replies
February 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46

Randomly Got a Dreamcast and PS1 in the Mail

:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Dad sent me his Dreamcast and PS1 with a few games he said I'd like out of the blue. I had my friend mod them already so region locking is not an issue.
These games can be a bitch to find on emulation sites AND get working at a playable level so I'll just get em cheap online. Know any good ones? I'll list what I already want and own in some fashion. And I already know most of the staples so try and name something not SUPER obscure, but not exactly in the spotlight.

No RPGs

I have for PS1:
Gradius Gaiden (PSP), G Darius (PS2), R-Types (PSP), R-Type Delta (PSP), Einhander, Crash 2, Crash 3 (PSP), Spyro 1, and Jumping Flash.
Plan to get: Crash 1, Spyro 2, Thunder Force 5

I have for Dreamcast:
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2...duh (PC), Nights (PC), Crazy Taxi (GC),
Plan to get: Border Down, Fast Strikers, Dux, Sturmwind

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsuitandarmour:
suitandarmour Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
If you can get chaos engine, not sure if it came out for those though.
:iconpandasluvcookies13:
PandasLuvCookies13 Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013  Student
Dreamcast: Marvel VS Capcom 2, Guilty Gear X, and Jet Grind Radio.

PS1: Fear Effect and Twisted Metal 2.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
I've got all of those DC titles on my XBox...well, I have some Guilty Gear on my Xbox (not Overture). Not a Twisted Metal fan. And I believe someone else mentioned Fear Effect and agreed to look into it.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Oh, and I don't know if this would interest you, but there's a thing called NesterDC which is basically an NES emulator with nearly every NES game out there built in that you can burn onto a CD and play using your Dreamcast. I've played that more than all my DC games combined.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
Even Seaman?
redmarlin Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
I don't have Seaman.
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
For Dreamcast, you have to get Spiderman. It was an incredibly fun game (mine stopped working :crying:) that is a must-have for that system. They have the same version for PS1 as well, but I'm biased towards the Dreamcast, since that's what I had. Soul Caliber for the same system was really good (that one stopped working too for me... I lost a few good games on that one.). I haven't played Jet Set Radio, but that looks pretty good too.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Artist
Star Wars: Dark Forces for PS1. It's a surprisingly deep and challenging shooter with a very old school style of play.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Only have a PS1, so here's my recommendations:

-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is a pretty radical action adventure game. Definitely give that a go!
-Soul Blade is a nice fighting game, if you like that sort of thing. Eventually became Soul Calibur, so it's interesting to see how it began.
-Forsaken is a pretty sweet first person game that's HELLA FUN in multiplayer. Can't really think of anything to compare it to, but it's still pretty good by today's standards!
-Roll Cage 2 is a VERY underrated racing game that really deserves more love than it got. Seriously, there's so much in this game that's so fun and enjoyable it's a damn shame it hasn't got a remake or another sequel.

...That's all I've got. :hmm:
:iconthatshrunkenguy:
thatshrunkenguy Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Dreamcast: Seaman - a virtual pet sim where you care for an evolving fish with a human face who asks you personal questions. Also the game is narrated by Lenoard Nemoy.

Illbleed - crazy survival horror themed around a horror theme park. You disarm scare traps and keep your heartrate and bleeding speed in check to survive. Very creepy and weird game

PS1: Parasite Eve games - survival horror made by Square Soft. Kind of like Resident Evil meets Final Fantasy
God no. I'll look into Illbleed, but Parasite Eve?RE mixed with FF? That's an instantaneous and indefinite no for me.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Dreamcast: Typing of the Dead. You'll need a keyboard, but you can get keyboard plus game for PRETTY cheap, like $20. This is my favorite game of all time.
Sadly it seems to my memory that a lot of the great Sega franchises never came out on this system. I can think of an exception, but it's an RPG.

PS1 had a lot of great fighters if you're into those. I think the last PS1 game I actually booted up was called Silhouette Mirage which is a ... 2D platformer/shooter by Treasure of all people. At any rate I would definitely track down all the Castlevanias that came out for it, there's one called Chronicles that's perfectly cromulent.

Oh, also Vagrant Story and Valkyrie Profile. Well, ok, I guess you could call Valkyrie Profile an RPG, but it's not in your typical RPG mold. Vagrant Story is a 3D action game.

It's weird to me that DC burnable ROMs are hard to come by these days, pirating was widespread back in the day and I personally think it helped kill the poor Dreamcast. Er, not that you should do that, the games are cheap enough without it.
As long as the game is real time with skippable cutscenes/dialogue, I don't care. I just said RPG's to save the energy because most from that gen were like Final Fantasy and I hated those games. :/

Not into fighters either.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Ohhh, ok. Hm. I'm pretty sure Valkyrie Profile is real time, but it does have some MONSTER cutscenes. No idea if they're skippable. Might just want to stick with Vagrant Story out of the two.

They're actually both made by Square though =__=;
So are Just Cause 2 and Einhander. ;3
I don't complete hate Square Enix. Just the bulk of their RPG's.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
jet set radio
I knew I was forgetting something. I have it on PC.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
how about shenmue
I said to someone else here, that I've played it before and didn't like how much story there was.
:iconzoltor:
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Whoops, didn't see you post no RPGs, that's a real shame, well forget about DW7, and FF Anthology then, all the other games are still must get though.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Driver and Driver 2 for the PS1. Man they were great.
I love a good driving game.
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Get Fear Effect.
Sounds like horror Does it play like Silent Hill or RE?
If so, I'll pass. Sorry.
But if it's like Amnesia, count me the FUCK in.
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It isn't like either Silent Hill of Resident Evil. And it isn't like Amnesia either.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Ok. I'll look into it.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
DC: Get Seaman. :la:
HELL no. xD
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013
Why not?
I'm not playing no Seaman. What I look like!? D:<
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
You look like someone who would rather play Hey You Pikachu.
I WOULD!! I actually got it with my Pikachu N64 way back in the day so yes, I have played it.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I still have a Dreamcast just for Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5. They were awesome.

On PS1 I still occasionally play Ridge Racer Type 4 and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. They might be worth checking out.
I remember good ol' Ridge Racer on N64. I never got a chance to play the others.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I loved Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Revolution - but Type 4 was the daddy!
DC: Definitely get Shenmue, and Shenmue 2(The DC version of Shenmue 2 wasn't released in NA, but since you modded it, get the EU version, the text is in english, so you'll have no problem playing)

PS1: (Are you kidding me, there are way too many games to list, but you can start with these) Make sure to get FF Anthology(it is the best FF compilation ever, it has the never before released outside of Japan FF 5, and a pretty much perfect port of FF6), get Dragon Warrior 7, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy Tactics, Brigandine, Tactics Ogre.
I've played Shenmue. I didn't like it too much. WAY too much talking and story for a game in my opinion.

I've 200.6% SoTN on XBox (I forgot to mention I played that). I believe there were other Castlevanias for the system too, right?
:icontrivialtales:
trivialtales Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
The only other PS1 Castlevania is really really bad.
I bet. Half of the series is bad which makes no sense to me...
I dunno if I'd go that far... I only dislike a few. The N64 and PS2 ones spring to mind.
Well, for me: Lords of Shadow, Curse of Darkness, Adventure, ReBirth, the original trilogy, Harmony of Despair, Judgement, and 64 are all the ones I dislike.

I only ever liked 4, Rondo of Blood, Swag of the Fucking Night, the 3 DS titles, the 3 GBA titles, and Lament of Innocence.

It really is split for me.
Castlevania 4 is probably my favorite, so I'm glad to see that's not in the dislikes. You might like Bloodlines, for Sega Genesis, based on that.

From your list, I'd put the original trilogy (minus 2), Lords of Shadow, and ReBirth into my likes, but I won't say the originals have great control schemes. I wasn't big on Circle of The Moon.

If you don't like the originals, you won't like Castlevania Chronicles. I like them, and I think it sucks, so...
Castlevania 4, Symphony of the Night, and Order of Ecclesia are my favorites in that order.
And I think I'm confused. Was Rondo of Blood the one where you could play as the lance guy?
(1 Reply)
Shenmue, It's not just a game, It's an adventure :) Oh well, I guess It's not for everyone.

Not on the PS1 I don't think(the GB, GBA, DS Lite, and SNES all have multiple titles, but not the PS).
Add a Comment: