Closed to new replies
February 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

Retro gamers

:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Anyone here a retro gamer? By which I mean, you spend more time playing NES/Genesis/SNES etc. games as opposed to new releases? What are some of your favorite games? Most recently played?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmalevolentmask:
MalevolentMask Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'll pretty much play whatever as long as its good, old or new.

Honestly one of my favorite "older" games is Earthbound which is on SNES. Just alot of the 8-bit games like Pokemon red, Kirby etc. are the best.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
It's kind of sad that this gen is the reason why I looked into old games in the first place.:hmm:
:icongamemaster007:
Gamemaster007 Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
I still play old RPG's of NES, SNES, GBA ,NDA on emulators.
:iconbennihana:
bennihana Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Arcanum is currently kicking my tail. Like a 2d sandbox game, revolutionary as hell along with Baldur's Gate. So fun running those games now on a decent rig hooked up to a big screen tv and surround sound rather than when they were laggy and buggy and maxed out a good computer's capabilities when they came out. Thank goodness for GoG (not schilling for them, just happy they exist).

Spent chunks of deployment beating A Link to the Past, FFIII (here, six in Japan), and ChronoTrigger for the first time each.

I love older games. They got it right. And now, as opposed to my childhood, theyre super affordable and "fixed." Of course, gfx are deplorable by today's standards, but it's so much easier to get involved into the story and invested in the characters of those older games.
:iconcapondesign:
CaponDesign Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Has anyone played Retrovirus? It came out last week.

[link]
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Ooh, very interesting! Where do I buy?
:iconcapondesign:
CaponDesign Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Go can go get it from steam.
:iconthehadoukid:
TheHadouKid Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Older games seem a lot more...charming to me. I honestly don't get it. It's not nostalgia (I'm only 15)

That aside, some of my favorites are Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Mega Man X2, Blaster Master, Galaga, Dig Dug, Samurai Showdown.....

oh man, too many. Don't get me started on RPG's...
:iconmysterio-san:
Mysterio-san Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Digital Artist
I love newer and older games, but everytime I see a newer game, try it out, and then get bored with it, that's when I fall back to the older games. I know they made a "Genesis Collection" for the PS3, and I think it's one of the first things I got when I first had the PS3.
ANYWAYS...One of my favorite retro games would have to be "Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past"
Of course, I also loved "Streets of Rage" and "Dynamite Heady"
:iconscorpafied:
scorpafied Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
i tend to enjoy older games alot more then newer ones. and ive probably spent more time playing older games then new ones. i didnt touch a single ps3 game and the only 360 title i even bothered to get was unreal tournament 3. so i guess this classifies me as a retro gamer.

although if nintendo ever releases a decent portable console which allows you to play old games like n64, gba and snes id be so there! and id probably lose interest in alot of next gen titles. (other then a rare game i find to be an absolute gem)
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The 8 and 16-bit eras were the best, mayne. Fire Emblem, Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy, F-Zero, Sonic the Hedgehog-- too many games to name. I'll rock out on a SNES any day of the week, but the NES has a certain feel to it, the beautifully addictive simplicity that goes into such an arrangement of squares and sounds that I can't get from more complex games.
:icontakkunzx:
TakkunZX Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student General Artist
I love retro games trying to make a collection (more like rebuild my collection) my favorite games back in the day was adventure island for the nes and killer instinct for the snes and both i was able to re-buy so happy!
:iconzoltor:
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
Looks like I'll be playing almost nothing but retro games this gen. The 3DS is a POS that is focused around a graphics aspect, the vita is crappy(It's a sad day in hell, when the best thing you can say about a system, is you can get PS3 games on it), MS's next system is setting its self up to be even worse then the PS3, and lets face, even if Sony can afford to make a PS4(which is doubtful), there's little-no hope for that.

The wii U's lineup is looking real stong though, so as long as the games end up being good, and more good titles are in the works/coming out, I'll probally get a wii U(the wii U hasn't been out long, and It's already getting monster titles, that you would typically see only later in a system's life, so sounds like It's a easy console to develop quality games for, which is awesome/bolds well for it).

Still It's only one system, and no new handheld, so I forsee even more retro gaming then I already play(which is an insane amount of retro gaming over new ratio).
:iconstormandy:
StormAndy Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
I'm still playing F-zero, Doom and Advance Wars 2 :) most the games i play are from between 1994-2002 so some aren't quite so retro like Age of Empires 2 and Warcraft 3. I also a big fan of split-screen gaming so I'm current coding a small pixel art split-screen shooter/action game in the unity engine.
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
F-Zero is one of my favorite racing games, It's that amazing.

They should really revive the doom franchise(multiplatform ofcourse).
:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Writer
Used to play old games such as Age of Empires 2, Collin Mcrae Rally 2 and also Rally Trophy,
:iconmr-bigmouth-502:
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
I used to be really big on retro console gaming, and I still go back and play stuff like Super Metroid and Perfect Dark every so often, but nowadays I'm mainly into oldschool PC games, like Unreal Tournament and StarCraft: Brood War. :D
:iconelirox904:
EliroX904 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I've played so many retro games, I've lost count at this point.
The thing about retro games is that you couldn't just cover up the majority of their flaws with "Ooh pretty graphics and hardcore violence and swearing" or shit like that, you had to, you know, actually make it fun most of the time for people to care about it.

I'm not biased against modern games or anything; I just prefer retro games by a lot because I can name more retro games I love than modern games I like.
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Retro gamer all the way. I have all the Nintendo systems from the NES up to the Wii, and most of Sega's systems.
:iconjscomics:
JScomics Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I do still play my NES and SNES quite a lot (Can't put down Donkey Kong Country) but I wouldn't say I spend more time playing them than my 360 and 3DS. They're more of a change of scenery now and again .. and of course when friends come round and want that nostalgia feeling :happybounce:
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
There aren't too many games being released nowadays that really catch my interest, so I often end up playing older titles. My top three favourite video games are all at least 15 years old. Also, older games often provide more of a challenge than newer releases so I enjoy them for those reasons as well. That said, I just play any game that looks interesting regardless of age.
:icondsitt7:
Dsitt7 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Student General Artist
I space my preferences out. I play retro games I've liked and still play new ones, but mostly from that same series i.e. zelda, pokemon, metroid.
:iconphantasmastriker:
PhantasmaStriker Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Well I still play a lot of PS1 games more then I do with today's releases :/
Not much from the NES/Genesis and SNES era has me coming back for more sadly.
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
What genre's do you like(also note, a bunch of PS1 games, are exact ports of SNES/SFC games)?
Well I play many genre's from platformers to shoot 'em ups.
Most notably the PS1 games I play often are games like Tomb Raider, RayStorm, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Armored Core, Parodius, Gradius, Rage Racer and Ace Combat.

I think Parodius and Gradius might be ports from those systems :p
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Oh ok, where there's a ton of games on the NES/SNES you would love(SMB3, GIJOE 1, and 2, Duck Tales 1, and 2, Batman, Double Dragon 2, Contra, Guardian Legend, TMNT, ect. Then on the SNES side you have Indiana Jones greatest adventures, battle toad, TMNT tutles in time, Magic Sword, Actraiser, Starfox, SMW, Bugs Bunn Rabbit Rampage, Donkey Kong Country, ect)

OMG, if you like RPGs, Adventure, and tactic games, the list will get out of control. The NES especially has a bunch of really good puzzle games too, if like that genre

Yea, Gradius is a NES game, a damn awesome shooter.
Neato! Thanks man, I'll have to look 'em up/check 'em out ^_^

And yeah totally agree about the Gradius/Salamader games :D
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Yea, I'm sure you'll downright love most of those atleast.
:iconnotoriousakber:
NotoriousAkber Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Filmographer
I love playing the doom series and the quake series (specially Quake 3 Arena I loved mario on nes and ninja turles too. Couldnt stop playing those back in the 90s and i remember i used wait for my exams to finish so i could rush home and start playing ninja turtles. I needed my mom and dads permission though. GB color i played alot of pokemon red.
Zoltor Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
I'm definitely more of a retro gamer, , infact I in the middle of a Lufia 2 run, and a Dragonview run as well as a Breath of fire 1 run. I finished playing Destiney of an Emperor, Guardian Legend, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms recently(yep the first entry, it really is the best of the series).

Hell I was even patching roms with fan translation patches in the 90s(games like FF5, DQ 6, ect, how dare the japanese refuse to release such high end greats, in the states).

Also I second Lumdrop's sentiment, that if they were still making games for the older systems, I would still be buying them... oh wait, been there, done that :). I pre-ordered the classic version of Pier Solar for the Genesis(a brand new "original" game for the genny, released in 2010. It's pretty ground breaking too, you know how the genny is infamous for having the worst sound card in history, well the developers did something even Sega never did, they used a enhanced music CD, to put out higher quality music, even though the game its self is on a genny cart. No mods or anything is needed for the genny/SCD either).

I have a pretty big list of games I play annually, most of which are retro games.
:iconlumdrop:
Lumdrop Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Let's put it this way, if they still made games for NES and SNES (heck, maybe even Genesis!) I'd still buy em.
I never grew out of pixels and what they call "chiptunes" these days and my iPod is filled with old game soundtracks.

They still make good games, I just prefer the old ones.

My favourites on NES were Xexyz, Castlevania (even Simon's Quest!), and Mega Man 2.
On SNES, Final Fantasy 2 (err, 4), U.N. Squandron, and Gradius III.

Those were such great days (-v-)
Holy shit, you know about Xexyz! That game was great - one of the best ones I've played for the system.
Lumdrop Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hell yes, it's probably my favourite NES game :)
The boss battles were my favourite part and I loved that they had those boss rush passwords.

So...which did you prefer, the foot wings or the Apollo mirror clone?
Sucked that you couldn't have both at once ^^

I liked the clone.
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Eh, I'd say both. Though a deadly combination is the mirror with an upgraded moon beam.
Lumdrop Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Especially when you crouch down!

(Dude, I never get to talk about this game XD )
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
Right? You're basically an invincible death tower. Too bad you can't move though.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Ooh, me! :la:

Why just a few moment ago, I was humming the title theme from Little Nemo: The Dreammaster.

As for most recently played, I'm calling Avenum 2 for that.
Ah, I remember Little Nemo. I don't think I played it very much though.
It was unforgiving like all Capcom games of the time.
Indeed.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
I have to wonder if it was based on a modified Megaman engine...
Lumdrop Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Remember the music from the upside-down house level?
That's my favourite in the game :nod:
I prefer the train one, myself.
Add a Comment: