Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Bare minimum cpu for Skyrim?

:iconwiffleball:
WiffleBall Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
What would be the bare minimum cpu required to run Skyrim on PC? Like, the cheapest piece of shit that will still run it?

I am interested in playing Skyrim and other recent PC games, but not so much in spending a lot of money on computer parts.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013   General Artist
I've run it on a dual 1.6GHz.
:iconbrennanba:
BrennanBA Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My computer's over five years old and it can run Skyrim. The great thing about Bethesda games is that you can more or less reduce them to nothing for most computers to play them. I think you need 2.0 Gtz duel core processor, memory of 2G and space on the hard drive of 5-8 Gb.

My computer is geared out to work with 3D animation, so that might be why I'm able to play modern games on it...

Oddly enough Skyrim actually works better on my PC than Fallout 3.
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional Artist
Trust me, the initial cost of PC gaming is outweighed by how cheap you can get PC games. We're talking games that launch for 60 dollars, but on PC, give time or a sale, can drop down to 15 dollars. Amazon, GOG.com, and Steam are usually the best for that sort of thing. You can literally get box copies of PC games on Amazon for around 2-20 bucks that are only 1.5-2 years old.
:iconpandadrake:
Pandadrake Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
I am typing this from a cruddy laptop that can play Skyrim.

I'm saying if you want the full experience, invest. Skimping on the specs for a game like Skyrim breaks the immersion hard.
:iconpandadrake:
Pandadrake Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
PC Skyrim plays like a clumsy port of the console version, just saying.

Also the whole draw of the game is the fact that the world looks awesome. If you got the money and an HD TV, I'd say it's more worth it to throw down for a console where everything will definitely look amazing than get a crappy PC with a tiny screen where everything is low res and laggy.
:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013   General Artist
It does play poorly vanilla, but the modding community is certainly something to behold.
:iconhuttuska:
Huttuska Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'd recommend to save money to buy atleast 600$ custom desktop computer. Then you can run most new games on medium - max settings.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Artist
It would depend on a lot of factors. I would bet you could get it to run on a fast P4 :shrug:

The better question is how much you want to spend, and why you don't just buy a 360/ps3 if you want cheap gaming? A console would actually get you higher quality per dollar (up to a point) and in your case it seems like a much better choice overall, budget depending of course.
:iconwiffleball:
WiffleBall Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
What would be considered a fast p4? Systems specs on my comp inform me that I currently have a 3.00 GHz.

As for why I don't just buy a 360/ps3, it's because, to me at least, it seems far too late in the console race to spend the money. Heck, there's already a fair bit of talk about the playstation 4 from what I've been reading, albeit just rumors.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Artist
You're looking at roughly two years before the ps4 is due out. Now would actually be a good time to buy a console. They're cheap, work well, and have tons of good games.

Yeah, a 3GHz P4 with a good graphics card could probably run skyrim at the absolute lowest quality.
Add a Comment: