Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Best low-spec or medium-spec PC games?

:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have a 2005 Dell notebook that's powerful enough to run Quake III Arena. However, it is not powerful enough to run a game Half-Life 2 which was released a year before.

Other than Quake III Arena, here are some games I already also have that work fine...

Command & Conquer
C&C Red Alert
C&C Tiberian Sun
Diablo II
Duke Nukem 3D
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
GTA
GTA 2

I'm happy with the games I got so far but what other games can you folks recommend me that can run on this less powerful Dell notebook?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds

Jedi Knight 1-2

Dark Forces

Any of the old LEGO games

Maybe SNES or older console emulators?
:iconskyfire2008:
SkyFire2008 Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't think it should have problems running 2D games released prior to 2005. Like Starcraft, HoMM 3, etc.
:iconhydris:
I feel like I've said this before, but if you have Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, play Median XL and/or Ultimative; there's also Eastern Sun, and a couple total conversion mods that may also be worthwhile.

One thing to note about Median is that there's level challenges that only grant rewards when you're underneath a specific level, which isn't very enjoyable in my opinion. Ultimative has 1 more of that, iirc. And you may find yourself reading documentation of the mod a lot at the start.

Also second the suggestion of Deus Ex. First thing that comes to mind for me is the story and exploration.
(I think the Nameless Mod is worth mentioning, but I haven't tried it myself)
DTrinidad Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Deus Ex is good. Played it on OnLive. I got it free along with Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition. I think it's better to buy it on Steam. My main issue with OnLive is the fact that you must be online at all times even for single player games. So, know any interesting mods for Deus Ex?
:iconninjatogo:
ninjatogo Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Onlive works that way because you're pretty much remote controlling a more powerful computer and streaming the audio and video via the internet over to your computer. It's good because, any old PC/Mac/Cellphone/Tablet can access the game and let you play as long as you have a connection.
DTrinidad Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
True but if I lose connection in the middle of my game, I'd be pissed. At least I save my game whenever possible.
:iconhydris:
Deus Ex is also on GoG, but I have the Steam version, which still can be run independently from Steam. According to GoG's store page there's some extra goodies (e.g soundtrack) that come with Deus Ex. Deus Ex on Steam also comes with the totally sweet soundtrack but they're in .umx.

I used the NewVision mod which is for graphics (resolution, aspect ratio, texture quality, frame rate, FOV). The listing of mods on ModDb looks interesting, but I haven't tried them out yet.
:iconieighton:
Ieighton Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Deus Ex
Civilisation I-III
Unreal Tournament
The original Hitman
Age of Empires II
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Feb 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
System Shock 2 and the Original Half Life. Those games look worse than quake 3.
:iconninjatogo:
ninjatogo Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You should give some specs like CPU/GPU/RAM. It'll make it easier for us to help. But I suggest Darwinia, LIMBO, Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield 1942( it just went free a few months ago on Origin)
Add a Comment: