Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

Is Dead Space worth getting into?

:iconwraithldr:
Wraithldr Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student General Artist
I made a journal for this. Got some responses. I feel that this can give me a broader idea though.

I really want to try the Dead Space games, only thing is, normally I would borrow them from a friend, but, none of my friends own a copy of either 1 or 2 or both.

Before I spend money on a copy, I want to know if this franchise is actually worth the money. Is there actually a reasonable amount of intrigue to justify a purchase, or are they only popular for their thriller/horror aspects?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
I didn't find them very scary but they are a couple of awesome action/horror games.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
I love the Dead Space series, it's awesome. It's well worth your time if you like survival horror.

The animated movies.....eh...they're kinda suck.
:iconnotoriousakber:
NotoriousAkber Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Filmographer
all depends, if u like horror, space age reality and hollow darkness with very frighting sudden encounters then dead space is for you. Let me tell you something, i bought Dead space the day it was released; paid full price cuz my friends kept telling me id like it. Not even 15 minutes into played i took the game out of my ps3, put it back in the case and rushed back to gamestop and the guy was like WTF?? i said just told him i crapped my pants at the beginning and after a few minutes of gameplay i got very scared of the creatures in it. This was the shortest game i ever played in history, thats how much it scared me. I never even bothered with dead space 2 and so on.
:iconchris000:
Chris000 Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I like the story of it, and I am genuinely scared by some events that were in Dead Space 2. I think of it as a much scarier game than Dead Space 1, and the environment is much more grounded than the halls of the Ishimura, which makes it all that much scarier.

The plot is disturbing enough to make it not quite scary in itself, but the more you think about it, the more you start to question the Marker. I still don't know what the Markers truly are beyond what is told to us in the games. I know there's more and I know there's something sinister behind it.

You want scary though? Play Dead Space 2 on Hardcore. 3 saves. That's it. Choose wisely.

Since I haven't played Dead Space 3 beyond the demo, I can't say whether the game is scary or not. Don't forget, Isaac has been fighting these things for 3 years now if not more. He shouldn't be that afraid, and neither should we. The demo eased us into the fact that yes, things are a bit different now, but at the core, Dead Space still plays like the others.

But I want to see how this story ends. Regardless of whether I like it or not, I have to play it. Then I have to play it again in co-op because of the unique dialogue.
:iconreignxcrimson:
ReignXCrimson Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
In my opinion dead space was the scariest and 2 was very engaging. The story is good and original as far as i know and very well detailed so yeah i recommend it
:iconhalonut117:
halonut117 Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
the first two are good, as for these people bitching about 3? they've played a small demo, not the whole game so play the first and second ones then decide if you want to play 3
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
3 wasn't half as bad as I expected it to be. The changes made were all fairly obvious and they sort of felt like they were lingering around but they didn't hurt the game. Not to mention that most of the annoying stuff like micro-transactions and day one DLC can be completely ignored.
:iconspunty:
Spunty Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Dead Space 1- It has many cliche pop scares, but overall good. It's atmosphere is creepy and some areas can be pretty tense. If you want a real fun time: play on the hardest difficulty in the dark. Tensest shit ever. 8.5/10

Dead Space 2- Shorter and faster than 1, and more combat oriented, but still a pretty good game. Plus, Online! 8/10

Dead Space 3- Take everything that made Dead Spaces 1 and 2 fun (atmosphere, scariness, lonely feeling) and toss it into a paper shredder. It's a slower paced Gears of War in the snow. Shit game. 0/10 Would not even bother pirating.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional General Artist
Also, the games aren't exactly costly. You can get both of them from anywhere between 5-10 bucks, and Steam has them in a bundle that usually drops to about the same price range during Steam sales.

But if you are getting them on a console, get them for PS3. Dead Space 2 comes with an additional full spin-off game that originally was released for the Wii that is a well done stand alone product and it serves as a prequel to the first game.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yes. It is worth it. The first game does have some tedious bits with turret sequences, but the second game got rid of them. It's probably one of the deepest third person shooter/survival games I've ever played. Everything about it has an extensive focus to detail and variety. I literally got over 200 hours out of the games, just from trying various weapons and strategies and upgrading all the equipment you unlock over the course of the game. It also has New Game + and an at least half-decent competitive MP in Dead Space 2. Dead Space 2 and 3 have demos, and 3 looks to be the most promising and challenging entry yet.
Add a Comment: