Oh, Blizzard...

I just came to a realization about all of Blizzard's games. (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Leah turns demonic and becomes Diablo.
Sylvanas turns undead becomes Forsaken.
Sarah Kerrigan turns Zerg and becomes the Queen of Blades.

What's with Blizzard and having all of their female protagonists switch sides and become bad guys?
Comments285
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Because a male turning to the dark side is too mainstream.
nothing new... in the past the male hero of Diablo 1 turned the diablo of the next game, and the warcraft have a long story of do that.. the best example "Arthas". XD
The latest blizzard games indeed have issues with the plot and story. I feel like its the same story in a different universe.
MoP has injured WoW's story.
Mists of Pandaria. WoW's latest expansion pack.
Oh yeah, sorry I dont play much wow. It indeed ruined the story but either way wows story sucked and only worsened warcrafts story.
I actually really liked the Warcraft story. I got into it only because I wanted to see what happens after Warcraft 3.
WarCraft 3 The Frozen Throne was the last good warcraft story, wow ruined everything.
View all replies
Never noticed - although you could take Sylvanas out of the image... pretty much yeah. She's not that much of a bad guy, just pissed at the Scourge and humans for being f*cked over, like all the other Forsaken. Her intents are still somewhat... noble.

Anyhow, I think the gender issue is probably just random. Either that, or there's actually some hokey pokey culture things that make that sort of character more compelling.

Something that DOES sort of annoy me though with their recent work in WoW was the ending of Cataclysm... Dragons were supposed to be the ultimate guardians of the world. Now they're rendered obsolete. From a larger perspective, nothing matters anymore - story-wise at least. ...Still love MoP though. I just think they f*cked the lore with the ending of Cata.
Sylvanas has noble intentions but is not noble in carrying out those intentions.
I can agree with that - then again that sums up many of the factions' different leaders.

politics, lol.
Not Tyrande. She's very noble about her ruling. But then, she's a bit more peaceful than the other rulers.
However that was always the case with blizzard, they don't happy endings very often. The best you would have from them are bittersweet endings.
Which I can appreciate.
I think its for blizzard games for the most part have always been dark and are in love with "tragic" type themes.
That sure does seem to be a common Blizzard tend.
I can only say about Kerrigan.

Spoiler for those who haven't played Heart of the Swarm.

After the Xel Naga artifact deinfests her (mostly), she regains who she formally was before the Queen of Blades. After thinking Raynor is dead she retakes control of the swarm to kill Mengsk, which she does in the end. She also understands that she must stop the destruction of the galaxy from the return of the xel naga.

In short she is still technically a "good guy."
Pretty much makes Wings of Liberty pointless, since the only thing that change Kerrigan was her personality. LOL
that and she is alot stronger because of the primal zerg
Well, I only played the first Starcraft game and only seen some cutscenes from Starcraft 2. So I'm no expert.
I still think that in Warcraft III, the Human Alliance, Orcish Horde and Night Elf Sentinels have joined forces to defeat the forces of evil. But in World of Warcraft, what's with the Alliance and the Horde, are their allies or enemies?
They're totally enemies.