Closed to new replies
January 26, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 52

Feel a bit odd on the new Gen Pokemon?

:iconhazmatfox:
Hazmatfox Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
For what I saw on Gen-6, X and Y, I was a bit appalled on the new starters. Not the main water, or the grass, but the fire. The fire starter has me baffled as to why Pokemon, decided to go with a fox. Granted, that foxes are cute as a button, but don't we have enough foxes in pokemon. Especially after we have Vulpix, and Ninetails, no real need for another fire fox.

Now this isn't real hate towards this new pokemon, despite saying appalled, it's a cute critter and curious to see what it turns out to look. (I swear if its Fire/Fighting...do nothing, just play the game thoroughly and import my Typhlosion.) But at times, I feel the series has gone on too long, the once beloved series needs to end, before all respect goes out the window. Now I am not opposed to newer ideas, something similar, or maybe branching out further with the older the pokemon, put more depth into actually learning the pokemon. That is all I got. What's your thoughts?

Please note, this isn't a hate speech to that fox...whatever it is called. Just a curious snooper to see who else has to say on the issue. Be it agreeing or disagreeing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondragoney:
Dragoney Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I like Fennekin but for some reason it doesn't LOOK like a starter. I guess I can't judge because I didn't make Pokemon, but you know. It's still a very cute design though.
:iconkooborisapphire:
KooboriSapphire Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Like someone stated, Fennekin is not the same fox species as Vulpix & Ninetales; Nintales & Vulpix are Kitsune foxes, & Fennekin is as it's name states, a fennec fox (like most of Eeevee's evolutions).

I was disappointed with these starters, mainly because the fire & grass ones did not stick to the general starter rules (grass ones being reptilians, & Fire ones being based on animals from the Chinese calender). Gen 5 had some sick-ass starers, but this one, of all, I only like Fennekin, because it's design is pretty cool. Froakie is the only one that did stick to it's starter rule (being both aquatic & terrestrial), & it might be pretty cool. But Chespin, no, just no. I've seen plenty of people use a mammal as a grass starter for the fakemon, & pretty much none of them work too well (save for =lydario's grass starter). I would be surprised if Chespin could turn out as badass as Serperior.

As far as the Franchise goes, I don't mind it; I'm glad it went over 2 generations, because unlike what most ignorant fucktards around here think, if Pokemon stopped at gen 2, it would easily have died out, fast. At a certain point, I was actually beginning to give less of a shit about Pokemon & forgetting about it. It wasn't until gen 3 that re-awoke that love I had for Pokemon & the older ones. Gen 3 revived the franchise. But if anything, I just hope this gen makes a lot of the ideas that SHOULD have been made. I mean, Gen 5 did that by a long shot (a sarcophagus, a pure flying type, snake starter, archeopteryx, tons of ghost types); but gen 6 could hopefully have more of what they were really missing: a peacock, platypus, more cephalapods (Octillery sucks), mermaids, dolphin, Jack-o-lanterns, voodoo dolls, ghost ships, & even some more exotic insects!

Anyways, Nintendo plans to finally end the Pokemon generations with this one as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually just wondering what Pokemon #666 will be haha.
:iconsweeney-todd-warrior:
sweeney-todd-warrior Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know what you mean. I just want to see the rest of the gen Pokemon to make my final opinion lol
:iconstarpancake:
starpancake Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like some of the new pokemon but some I don't. I like munna and lilipup ( well its evolved for more ) but i do miss the old pokemon . :( the fact that they just started fresh like nothing happened diasapoints me. I grew up watching pokemon advanced, advanced battle, and I recall watching some season 2 when I was little. I think the new poekmon is alright but its not like the good old stuff.
sweeney-todd-warrior Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeahh, I kinda know what you mean. I dunno, the Pokemon designs just seem different to me. Aside from the obvious reasons lol. Like I dunno. Some of the new Pokemon are really clever, and the others...were they even trying?
I've been a huge character designer for years, studied Pokemon & their designing, as well as digging deeper into the concepts of them, so I would see why people would complain, but only to a handful of them. I mean, i hear so many people complain over something clever as a chandelier (a homage to haunted artifacts, & how ghostly entities adore messing with chandeliers) but I don't hear anyone complain to something like Mr. Mime (it's just a human with no nose). You can argue that same thing about Jynx, but at least she's called the "Human-shape Pokemon" for a reason.
Oh god, I hate Mr Mime and Jynx so much. And I really don't have a problem with Chandelure :P
It's more like I guess I'm stuck on the kind of designs like Magikarp and stuff. ^^ And I don't look as far into design concepts like you do so I don't notice as much. What other ones are there? :D
I'd say those two are one of the very few Pokemon out there that deserves an evolution (especially Jynx, since I actually like her). Well Magikarp's main problem is how much of a troll it is in the games & how useless it could be if it didn't evolve.

What do you mean by that?
Likee what other clever designs are there?
Well, there's Whimsicott, based on Elves & Brazilian prankster critters. Sigilyph, based on ancient artifacts. Cofagrigus, based on Mummy tombs & the curse of the mummy (idea that should have been long ago). Gothitelle being a fortune teller, & Reuniclus based on a water bear. Elgyem & it's evo being based on alien greys. Stunfisk, despite being a terrible Pokemon, is based on a flounder (another design they surprisingly didn't do earlier). Hydreigon, being based on the mythological hydra. Drifblim being a ghostly blimp. Lopunny being a bipedal rabbit & playboy bunny. Mismagius being a banshee. Luvdisc, while it's design may be simple, it's actually based on a discus fish as well as a kissing gourami for it's kissing habit. Claydol being based on ancient figures. Gardevoir being a guardian angel & ballroom dancer. Delcatty, despite it's poor stats & awful movepool, is a prim cat with a poodle haircut.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: