Mad Father - WTH??? [Spoilers]

So I just finished playing Mad Father and the ending was not what I expected it to be at all! I want to replay it to get all the gems but I feel sad playing it now. :(

So to other gamers who have played this game: what did you think of the story? The characters? And the story's ending?
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I don't really understand the storyline of Mad Father.
It's confusing but I understood it.

What don't you get?
It was pretty good. Definitely one of the less scary games out of the scary games collection. The walking dolls made me so mad though. I thought the story was interesting and pretty good. The characters looked good too. I kinda wish that Aya didn't become like her father especially after she went through all the crap of running away from him but oh well. There was not as many jumpscares as I expected! The main thing I really would've liked was more background on all the experiments, especially the blond boy! He seemed so important, but he barely appears later and there's nothing about him whatsoever.
The game's ending is pretty fucked up. I'll agree on that one.
People think that the Aya in the vat at the end is the real Aya or that Aya is a good person running the clinic.

The Aya's were not switched. In the true ending, Ogre (the red eyed stranger, just like the book on Aya's shelf) brought Alfred (the father) back from the dead and into another dimension. that's why his hair and hands are purple. Ogre said "Maybe one day you can show this girl your homeland". That means that the Aya in the glass (who is quite curvaceous for an 11 y/o) has never been in the real world, meaning she was never the real Aya, and is a recreation made my Alfred to fulfill his desires.

And as for the theories about Aya actually being a good person at the end... oh i wish i was that naive... It may look that way, because Aya is helping Jean at the end and Maria said she is just like her father, so some people think that it means she got the part of her father that saved maria off the streets.

However, If you pay attention, Jean says that she was helped here by an old lady with a carriage. she hears hooves in the back of the house. then when it pans over to Maria, you can clearly see she has aged (to the point of being called an old lady...). you can also see a door behind her, (from the back, where the hooves were), the red anatomy book her father had, a small collection of dolls... and, to seal the deal, a ladder to a basement to Maria's right.

Maria tells people that there is a nearby clinic that gives free treatments, takes them there, and then Aya gets to turn them into dolls
I was so confused by the different dimensions thing; but I totally understood the real ending. I didn't see the basement door though. I am playing through the game a second time though and I noticed extra messages throughout the game providing more evidence towards Aya's future fate. I just found the ending a bit messed up since Dio tried to get her out and told her that nothing like this should happen again; and what does she do? She does it again! x(
Which ending are you talking about? I saw the one with when you save farther. Knew he was crazy, still saved the retard.
Yeah, that's the one! Bizarre ending. Sad.
You see i have this thing where if i'm sad i just make stuff up.
Haha like your own ending? :3
I thought it was really good, but yeah, the ending was unsettling. I saw the ending after collecting all the gems, and it just made things more confusing. I can't really explain why Aya would end up like her father as well - I mean, I know about the dead animals in the room and how she played with chainsaws, but it just doesn't correlate with the Aya we play as. If she was a silent protagonist like Ib it would make more sense, because we don't get to hear her thoughts and feelings throughout the game, but if she was psychotic like her father I feel like there would have been hints in her behavior as well, and there just wasn't. The only thing I can think of was how she didn't seem to bat an eye when she had to slit the dog's stomach open, but aside from that, she behaved and reacted like a regular human being at all the other atrocities she had to witness throughout the game.

Maybe she wasn't a full-blown psycho and all the events that transpired made her snap or something, I don't know. I liked the ending and thought it was fitting, I just feel like it's missing something. :D Maybe something that had to do with the extra ending and Ogre, since I still have absolutely no clue what that was about, or who Ogre is and what role he played in all of this.
Yeah that extra ending was really weird. I feel like it that part was omitted from the game entirely, it would feel a lot better.
I'm playing the game a second time and there are messages added that give more evidence towards Aya's future fate (psycho). She may not have been a psychotic killer as a child, but she totally went through the same motions as her father did when he was little. It started with bids and rats, and ended with people.
Me too! Like, as unsettling as the true ending was, it just felt complete. Add the little extra ending on, and I just feel like there's something important I'm not understanding. Maybe it leaves room for a sequel, I don't know.

But yeah, there's no doubt about what the true ending means; as soon as she said "anaesthesia", I knew something was wrong. She just seemed too compassionate throughout the game to turn out like that to me, but meh. :P
I understand the extra ending to the Mad Father game! I played the 1st game created by the same creator of Mad Father and apparently they make an appearance in that game so the extra ending ties the characters to the two games; which we could not have known if we didn't play the game "Misao." Thus the mystery is solved! x3
Not really too sure on the extra ending either. Perhaps it will be further explained in a later game. The creator made a previous game called Misao, which also featured "ogre" (oni). I'm sure it'll tie into something later. And I think they tried to keep the hints for aya becoming like her father as subtle as possible to avoid spoiling the twist haha. And it could be that the book at the end (probably the anatomy book) got her more infatuated with the idea of chopping people up for parts and what not. She was pretty unaffected at the end by everything that had happened, an observation made by maria. In any case, definetely check out Misao if you haven't! The game is a lot more troll in the ways you die, but its still an interesting story for sure.
Yeah, another player on Youtube also pointed out how Ogre appears in both Misao and Mad Father, and they have a theory that the library girl is the test-tube Aya we see in the extra end, because she says something like "I have a father that loves to experiment and he's always locked up in his lab", but I don't know about that. :P Interesting, though. I'll have to check out Misao myself to decide.
I thought the characters were great, i really liked the maid by the end of the "good" end. But damn, dat ending.... so depressing. No matter how hard I try to think of ways that it isnt really Aya, there is just too much evidence saying otherwise =/
Exactly! I spoke to my boyfriend about it and he told me that after being exposed to so much blood, gore, suffering, and torture, it would have left its mark on her and she would have not been able to live a normal life. Apparently the same things happen to serial killers who have had that kind of trauma happen in their childhood. Once innocent, that trauma turns into a sick desire for more of that kind of blood and violence.

But I agree with you, the real ending is so sad!! :(
I tried to get the good ending first(picking the mom over dad) and the ending shocked me! I also didn't understand what was going on though because I had yet to know the truth! :3
hmm, I don't think its the trauma that made her that way. =( The game kind of hints that she is similar to her father. Somewhat early in the game, when you revisit your room, you can open up your dressers to find that there is a dead mouse in one, and a dead bird in the other. You later find out that your father as a child would kill mice and birds, hiding them in his dresser...
also please let us not forget the cute mini-chainsaw :P !! she used to play with a freakin chainsaw as as a kid, while the father used it to kill people ...

the way I see it is that the mother was holding everything together n keeping Aya on the edge of sanity, and when the mom was "gone", there was nothing left to hold her back from walking the same path as her dad
Oh! Yeah I was so confused by that! @-@ So it was inevitable... Replaying it, I can see a lot more hints to what you are saying!
same here it was all because of pewd's ... I just finished the game just now, like .... 30 minutes ago, the ending was kinda expected to me, the moment I saw that book I was ooooooh Fuck, here we go again .... even though I collected all 21 gems the ending havent changed for me, so I feel it was such a boomer, even though it was fun collecting them.

I am kinda sad about the ending ... really sad :( I wanted a happy ending for that stroy but meh its "the Witch house" all over again ... if anyone found anything on how to change the "what supposed to be" true ending please let us know :| I dont want that ending for Aya >_<
I heard that there are 2 bad endings and 1 real ending, so I don't think there are any good endings. :/
I haven't collected all the gems but I think the gems would be for the gallery in t he main menu (I think, I'm not sure) because the gallery on my menu was still unselectable. :3

What is Witch House? :3 Another horror game??