Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Whats with the snow?

:icontartanballs:
TartanBalls Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Anyone else notice that there's a lot of games around at the moment playing around with snow?

The obvious one is Skyrim, obviously, but it's also in Borderlands 2, Dead Space 3, Assassin's Creed 3.

I mean what, did games just get given this new technology and decided that if the industry had it they were damn well gonna use it?

The same thing kinda happened with pirates too, but not so widespread, in fact not really that widespread. A Borderlands 2 DLC and the sequel to Risen was it, I suppose, but they still came out about the same time.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Artist
While most have explained three of those games -- I'll handle Dead Space 3.

Because the past two games were grime, then artificial space station/dark mining tunnels. This is in direct contrast, with a focus more on isolation, cold, and blindness. That's why.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Skyrim was set up in the northern area of Tamerial. This was set in stone a long time ago. Since it is more north (and the northern part of Oblivian was snow,) there will be snow.

Borderlands 2 wanted something else besides the color brown. But they also wanted something that would be a good wasteland. Hence, snow tundra.

Assassin's Creed 3 is set in a non-tropical area (northeast US) and the winter weather has an important part for the US Revolution, so a winter setting has to come.

No clue about Dead Space 3. Probably something like Borderlands 2 with wanting less brown.
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Because it's winter, obviously!
Farcry 3 doesn't need snow!
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Dude, I'll far your cry!
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
I really haven't noticed this trend, but it seems I also have a hard cutoff date for games.
Things like this bug me, like back when every game had a guy in it called Reko who was usually a over-the-top tough Latino.
I don't think I've played any games with Rekos or Latinos.
Killzone, Max Payne, Xenogears and others.
Nope, haven't played one of those.
Add a Comment: