Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 100

Wii-U: Months too soon?

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
The more I read about the Wii-U, the more signs seem to point that it more than likely was released, and I'm being generous here, up to three months ahead of its actual ready date.

To get this massive elephant in the room rolling, I'll start with this example.

In the linked article, it describes the tail of woe surrounding purchases in the Wii Shop and how purchases made cannot be linked to the Club Nintendo rewards program. While nobody in the USA is missing anything of value, this would be an issue in Europe and Japan, where the prizes are awesome.

Most noticeably, a platinum gift for USA is a common prize in Europe. But that likely has to do with the fact that the NOE president actually gives a flying damn.

Back onto the subject, I'd like to list some noticeable issues that I feel make it clear that the Wii-U wasn't ready for release.

:bulletred: Wii Mode is threadbare and incomplete, lacking many of the features that Miiverse has yet to pick up.
:bulletred: System launched without Virtual Console or the feature they massively waved around all though development, the Miiverse, instead having to be installed in a massive out of box update.
:bulletred: No major system seller or even titles that made the leap from Wii to Wii-U. A unbotched version of Skyward Sword could have been a nice example of system power. Of course, that would requiring it handing it over to someone who isn't the Phantom Hourass team.
:bulletred: System is incredibly unoptimized considering how much memory is given to SysOp, and apparently, rather laggy when online, but not laggy when offline.
:bulletred: Miiverse seems lacking and incomplete, not anywhere close to what Iwata was trying to sell during system development.
:bulletred: Nintendo claims to have been working on the Gamepad concept since before the iPad, and yet this is what was released.
:bulletred: No confirmation dates or even teasers for titles likely to be system sellers.
:bulletred: Marketing for the system doesn't even seem to quite know what to do with it, nor do other developers.

So, do you agree, disagree, or wish to point out any issues I missed?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Oh. And they could resolve most of the points you brought up in a future system update.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
They could somehow update the Gamepad with an online update so it doesn't feel cheap?
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Months too soon? Maybe. Sales slumped a bit recently, but you should wait for what lies ahead.

Things could get better, things could get worse...
:iconanimixter:
Animixter Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
if you have a 360 or ps3 you are fine without a wii-u. But if you are hankering for Zelda, Mario, Metroid? Get the Wii-U, otherwise enjoy missing out like me : D
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
As if those are Nintendo's only franchises. I want an F-Zero.
Animixter Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
i named the ones i liked, not listing their life's work lol.
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Wasn't asking you to.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Couldn't I just get the Prime Collection and otherwise enjoy games on the Virtual Console in that case, avoiding them altogether since we're stuck with idiots thinking they should announce everything at E3?
Animixter Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
personally, they are basically releasing a 360/ps3 and aren't giving much else. I wouldn't miss them if they dropped from the race. They made too many bad choices and they still make bad choices. For example, the previous director for FFXIV mocked the rpg's of today to feature the jump ability. Just recently he was let go and now the game has a new director, its being revamped from the ground up, with jump. I just think nintendo need's someone to steer the boat in the right direction than let the "man" not ask for directions. Nintendo is lost.
:iconcederbom:
Cederbom Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
That part about nintendo I've never really understood. They really suck at marketing and hyping their games until like the last minute. People want to look forward to the games they'll get, dammit. D:<
Add a Comment: