Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 100

Wii-U: Months too soon?

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
The more I read about the Wii-U, the more signs seem to point that it more than likely was released, and I'm being generous here, up to three months ahead of its actual ready date.

To get this massive elephant in the room rolling, I'll start with this example.

In the linked article, it describes the tail of woe surrounding purchases in the Wii Shop and how purchases made cannot be linked to the Club Nintendo rewards program. While nobody in the USA is missing anything of value, this would be an issue in Europe and Japan, where the prizes are awesome.

Most noticeably, a platinum gift for USA is a common prize in Europe. But that likely has to do with the fact that the NOE president actually gives a flying damn.

Back onto the subject, I'd like to list some noticeable issues that I feel make it clear that the Wii-U wasn't ready for release.

:bulletred: Wii Mode is threadbare and incomplete, lacking many of the features that Miiverse has yet to pick up.
:bulletred: System launched without Virtual Console or the feature they massively waved around all though development, the Miiverse, instead having to be installed in a massive out of box update.
:bulletred: No major system seller or even titles that made the leap from Wii to Wii-U. A unbotched version of Skyward Sword could have been a nice example of system power. Of course, that would requiring it handing it over to someone who isn't the Phantom Hourass team.
:bulletred: System is incredibly unoptimized considering how much memory is given to SysOp, and apparently, rather laggy when online, but not laggy when offline.
:bulletred: Miiverse seems lacking and incomplete, not anywhere close to what Iwata was trying to sell during system development.
:bulletred: Nintendo claims to have been working on the Gamepad concept since before the iPad, and yet this is what was released.
:bulletred: No confirmation dates or even teasers for titles likely to be system sellers.
:bulletred: Marketing for the system doesn't even seem to quite know what to do with it, nor do other developers.

So, do you agree, disagree, or wish to point out any issues I missed?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh. And they could resolve most of the points you brought up in a future system update.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
They could somehow update the Gamepad with an online update so it doesn't feel cheap?
:icontheroyalcrownjewel:
TheRoyalCrownJewel Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Months too soon? Maybe. Sales slumped a bit recently, but you should wait for what lies ahead.

Things could get better, things could get worse...
:iconanimixter:
Animixter Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
if you have a 360 or ps3 you are fine without a wii-u. But if you are hankering for Zelda, Mario, Metroid? Get the Wii-U, otherwise enjoy missing out like me : D
:iconxopachi:
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
As if those are Nintendo's only franchises. I want an F-Zero.
Animixter Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
i named the ones i liked, not listing their life's work lol.
XoPachi Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Wasn't asking you to.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Couldn't I just get the Prime Collection and otherwise enjoy games on the Virtual Console in that case, avoiding them altogether since we're stuck with idiots thinking they should announce everything at E3?
Animixter Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
personally, they are basically releasing a 360/ps3 and aren't giving much else. I wouldn't miss them if they dropped from the race. They made too many bad choices and they still make bad choices. For example, the previous director for FFXIV mocked the rpg's of today to feature the jump ability. Just recently he was let go and now the game has a new director, its being revamped from the ground up, with jump. I just think nintendo need's someone to steer the boat in the right direction than let the "man" not ask for directions. Nintendo is lost.
:iconcederbom:
Cederbom Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
That part about nintendo I've never really understood. They really suck at marketing and hyping their games until like the last minute. People want to look forward to the games they'll get, dammit. D:<
I blame Reggie and Iwata. Reggie because he's from the braindead background of food marketing, and Iwata because he's a genius programmer but a pretty meddling manager.
Wait...seriously? Reggie was a food marketer before?
From Wikipeda, the free life spy satellite:
"After receiving his degree, Fils-Aime took a position with Procter & Gamble. Following that, he took a position as Senior Director of National Marketing at Pizza Hut, where he launched the Bigfoot Pizza and The Big New Yorker.

Fils-Aime has served as the Head of Marketing for Guinness in the United States and was responsible for all brands. He also worked as Chief Marketing Officer at Derby Cycle Corporation, directing sales and marketing efforts for eight brands. Fils-Aime served as Managing Director and oversaw Raleigh U.K., Derby's British operations just six months in 1999.

He then joined the world's Chinese food service leader, Panda Management Co., acting as Senior Vice President. Later, he came on board to VH1 as Senior Vice President. He was responsible for a 30% increase in ratings by refocusing the channel's content to appeal to younger viewers."
...I see.
It really makes you wonder why he was such a job hopper.
Sure, one can claim opportunity all they want, but they seem fairly random in choice.
(1 Reply)
:icontexd:
TeXD Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Meh, I had a go on one not too long ago. Seriously, maybe shallow, but the cheap feeling the ugly gamepad gave me put me off.
Oh, the Gamepad indeed looks cheap. It IS cheap, but they tried to stuff it full of worthless tech.
Eh, compared to "red ring of death" and "$500-600 brick", the issues so far ar pretty minor, dontcha think?

Yes, it's stupid that they release their consoles too early, but apparently that's how they compete with one another.
Red Ring of death was consumers not understanding a creative error reporting, what about the 500-600 brick?
Red Ring of death was consumers not understanding a creative error reporting

Still quite a flaw, and a costly one at that.

what about the 500-600 brick?

You don't think $500-600 was a bit much? Or that the colossus that was the first ps3 was a little... big?
Not to mention how it took the ps3 over a year to get anywhere, library wise.
Perhaps, but I can't help but spare the XBOX 360 due to it being a newer entry into the market, as Microsoft isn't much of a hardware maker, with the PS3 monolith, I think it was meant to evoke the feelings of power with owning such a powerful system. The PS2 or PS1 were not exactly pretty when they first came out either.
but I can't help but spare the XBOX 360 due to it being a newer entry into the market, as Microsoft isn't much of a hardware maker

Definitely. It's probably not going to be a mistake they'll make again.

with the PS3 monolith, I think it was meant to evoke the feelings of power with owning such a powerful system. The PS2 or PS1 were not exactly pretty when they first came out either.

Powerful or not, most people thought the price was too steep. At least the ps1 and ps2 could fit into the tv shelves. :O Not to mention the loud fans and high electricity consumption.
The ps3 slim was very necessary, imo. Not to mention the super slim, now that is an impressive size.

Certainly, but really I think they went overboard with making sure there was plenty of space for the entire system and cooling. Once they learned what they could do after years of research, they finally shrank it with shrunken production costs.
Not to mention that you're saying not to mention a few too many times. Go to bed, before you become completely incohernalkmsd.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wouldn't be the first console to do this, everyone remember the Xbox's famous "Red Ring of Death" :dead: Another classic example of a "premature-born console". But like a premature born child, it isn't completely unable to be salvaged and saved. Though a lot of extra work is going to be needed to keep it "alive" during these awkward and unpredictable months that are due to follow, so hopefully Nintendo knows what to do to keep people interested until they A) fix up any bugs or issues, and B) start releasing titles that long-term Nintendo lovers actually care about playing (yes another Mario or Zelda release may seems tired and predictable - but hey, they sell and are probably the only reason why some people in their 20's and older still care about their consoles :p)

They should have made a new Smash Bros game for its launch. I bet that's the main thing that got GameCube's and Wii's off the shelves (even though it was late for the Wii). But I suppose it's better that they save what will probably be the best game on the system until after they get everything figured out.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
But that was the 360 and a direct sequel to a previous system. And it wasn't really a single issues, but people being unable to interpret a creative error reporting system.

And for the long development time, you honestly would have expected for them to have something ready at launch to wow people. Instead of another tech demo and ports.
:iconkmwright:
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Better last year than this year.:shrug: Rumors says that Microsoft and Sony are going to release their own new consoles. Rumor also says that Microsoft might even have the new console make 3D realistic environments across the room.
:iconfrozenglyph:
Frozenglyph Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
pay for internet while you already have: no
have stupid possible built-in shitty kinect trying to make you dizzy by shooting game to your room: no..

I don't know what "PS4" will be but i hope it doesn't have anti-developer architecture (or something along those lines) so games dont stutter and suck ass.
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I'm guessing the top part means you're not going to get the 720? :bucktooth:

I'm not going to lie. I think that's my least worry with Sony. If Sony's serious about that only-plays-new-games policy is true, then a part of me hope they don't get the exclusives I want. I mean the new X-box is one thing, you can still play any of the appropriate compatible games as you wish. The same for the Wii-U. But I can't really take having to pre-order or go to a game store really early in order to get every exclusive I want. Not to mention, I don't always keep track of new games. There are some games that I hear about in a year later.:hmm:
:iconfrozenglyph:
Frozenglyph Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes i did. If i have to pay for playing online while im already paying for internet connection then fuck it. Also last thing i want is console shooting colorful objects and lights to my living room.. Just.. no. Interesting concept but doesn't work if the new box version is same as the new kinect concept. P.S nothing works in kinect, even WII does better in that area.

I never get pre-orders. I'm not the gamer type who goes omigosh i have to get this golden weapon before anyone else and take 3 day break from work just to make my hemorrhoid bigger.. Meh.
Also i'm more of a PC gamer, i only get adventure and hack n slash games on consoles that work better with controller than mouse+keyboard combination.

I was planning to get WII U this year but my financial shit needs to be sorted out and it doesn't have any interesting game.. Yet.
Warriors Orochi is kinda game i like, but something tells me i need to avoid that. Blops 2 is another but my hand motorics "stall" when playing controller fps. I never got into zelda (i did play link to the past ages ago) so the question is: ..Is it worth it?
kmwright Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I agree that the internet thing is bs. As for their new gimmick, so far it's just a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Microsoft seems to want to 1-up Nintendo on some kind of motion control and gimmick. Now rumor has it that Sony is also going to do the i-pad controller thing like Nintendo.

I'm more of a PC gamer myself too. Shooter Combat Sims, adventure and rpgs are what I like the most for PC. Shmups and Platformers is what I use consoles for.

I have a Wii-U right now. I, uh, wait until the Wii-U has better upgrades because it suffers from the same problem as Sony and Microsoft 7th Gen consoles. It works but the loading and updating is a pain.:no: However, I did get it for BLOPS 2 and NSMBU. Both are great games. I'm planning on getting Rayman Legends as well. Zombi U is pretty good (if you like survival horror) and Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate are coming out soon. I think the console is worth getting but not right now.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
I think that'd be calling for a bit much.
:iconchris-ticehurst:
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Not alot of people know what they are talking about. The Wii U has made 30 million than the Wii did in it's first few months. 3DS as well as the Xbox 360 and PS3 all had slow starts and have turned into successful console in their own time.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
30 million what?
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
They made 30 million dollar more than they did on the Wii at this point in time of sales.
Profit or income?
chris-ticehurst Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Profit
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
When's the new Mario coming out? I wanna see how they try to top the Galaxy games.
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I wanna know what it'd be called.

Super Duper Mario Galaxy-Universe.
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
New Super Mario WiiUniverse.
...lame!
What? I'm trying to think like a Nintendo marketer!
Oh.

Well, you're promoted!
:dummy: I'll be cleaning Miyamoto's shoes in no time!
Maybe you'll even get to sit next to him! :la:
(1 Reply)
New Super Mario Bro's 432 U
Super Marioluigi 248 World-verse.
Super Generic Retro Pandering Piss Easy Plumber 2013...and that's not the year either.
Legend of Mario's House 4: Jumping Mayor May Not Be Included
:icontheredsnifit:
TheRedSnifit Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Call of Goomba
Add a Comment: